Silas vs Cyrus

Which one do you like more?

  • Silas
  • Cyrus
0 voters

These two have always been grouped together on my list because they sound so similar, but they do give me slightly different vibes. I think I personally prefer Silas, whereas my boyfriend prefers Cyrus, so I’m curious which one everyone else would pick!

To me, Silas feels very soft, subtle and a little artistic, with almost a nature-y quality to it. Cyrus also feels soft to me, but a little more boyish and grounded, if that makes sense? I’m not sure exactly how to describe the difference, but they definitely have slightly different feelings to me despite being so similar.

They both allow for the sleek and cool nickname Cy. Cyrus has the more natural spelled-out nickname, whereas for Silas I suppose it could be Sy or Si? Neither looks quite right to me, although I think it works when said aloud.

Cyrus also gives the additional nickname option of Rus, which isn’t really my style, but I like it as a bonus option if it happens to suit the child or they prefer it themselves.

I do associate Cyrus with the character from Andi Mack, which I watched growing up. That’s not necessarily a bad association at all, though, as he was actually one of my favourite characters on the show! There’s also the potential association with Miley Cyrus. With Silas, I don’t really have any particular people or character associations.

I’d love to know if anyone else has any associations with either name, or gets different vibes from them. Which one do you prefer, and why?

Just a disclaimer that I’m not naming any children anytime soon but I have a feeling both of these will probably stay on my list until then!

I prefer [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] because I love the mythological sun imagery, though [name_m]Silas[/name_m] is gorgeous as well. My main association with [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] is the name itself, not really [name_f]Miley[/name_f] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]. Whereas with [name_m]Silas[/name_m], my association is the Bible. Personally, my vote is for [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], but you can’t really go wrong with either.

1 Like

Both are lovely names, but at this point, [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] definitely has my heart! Maybe because of his meaning, he feels more sunshiny to me. He brings to mind jumping into cool lakes in the summer, paddleboarding, working with his hands (woodworking, artistry, etc.), full of integrity, earthy (and also down-to-earth).

[name_m]Silas[/name_m] on the other hand, feels more refined, I get more green and blue shades, feels like the forest on a cool night, more musical than working with his hands.

I love the Biblical associations for both, like the sound of them both, but [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] definitely has my heart right now - maybe because he feels less commonplace than [name_m]Silas[/name_m]? I was really plugging for my sister to use [name_m]Silas[/name_m] for her second son, though, and I’d love to meet a little one of either name!

1 Like

I like both! [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] gives me sunnier, brighter vibes, while [name_m]Silas[/name_m] feels slightly darker, forest-y, mystical, but grounded too.

I associate [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] with the book Martyr by [name_m]Kaveh[/name_m] Akbar; [name_m]Silas[/name_m] makes me think of [name_m]Silas[/name_m] Marner by [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Eliot[/name_m].

I think I prefer the feel of [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] for me :slight_smile:

1 Like