🏔️ sinai

Reasonable or too associated with the hospital?

Also, Sinaia?

I automatically think of the biblical place name so there’s that to consider as well.

Maybe [name_f]Senara[/name_f] as an alternative?

2 Likes

^ Agreed. I didn’t know there was a hospital called this, but I do think immediately of Mount [name_m]Sinai[/name_m].

10 Likes

I also only thought of Mount [name_m]Sinai[/name_m]. If I met a [name_m]Sinai[/name_m] I might assume the parents were religious.

[name_m]Sinai[/name_m] also sounds pretty close to cyanide when you say it quickly.

3 Likes

Speaking as a Jewish person, I would worry about naming a child [name_m]Sinai[/name_m] right now. I suppose if you’re not Jewish it might not affect you.

5 Likes

like previous posters said my only association is mount sinai!

1 Like

I agree with posts above. The hospital association is definitely there (that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s a great hospital!) But also, it’s such an unusual Biblical name that people would make assumptions about your religion. People might also make assumptions about your politics given what’s going on in the region now, sort of like with the name [name_m]Zion[/name_m].

To use that nice long ‘i’, have you considered Cyrus, Silas, Siah, or Cairo?

1 Like

echoing above, mount sinai is my first and only thought!

1 Like

Agree with above about mount [name_m]Sinai[/name_m]. It also reminds me of sinus which is t the most pleasing association

I also thought of Mount [name_m]Sinai[/name_m] from the Bible, and I would assume the family was [name_m]Christian[/name_m]

I just think of the [name_m]Sinai[/name_m] desert/peninsula, I’m not religious at all so mount sinai means nothing to me (after googling I do know the basic story but would’ve never known the name of the mountain). However, i do generally prefer the Arabic pronunciation of the place (zee-na-ee) to sy-ny, which I agree sounds a bit like cyanide.

I don’t think of the Mount [name_m]Sinai[/name_m] Hospital in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m]. I think of a regional hospital also named [name_m]Sinai[/name_m], but that’s a very local reference honestly. After that, my association is with the peninsula. If I met a [name_m]Sinai[/name_m], I would assume that their parents are Jewish and choose the name for religious reasons. That or they are evangelical christians, but given where I live, Jewish is more likely.

I’m not a fan of Sinaia, but maybe something like Zeniya or [name_f]Taniya[/name_f]?

The long ‘i’ is definitely what attracted me to it! I love similar names like Menai and [name_f]Shiloh[/name_f] so it seemed like a perfect fit for my tastes, but the responses on this thread have definitely convinced me against it. (I’ll admit I still have a soft spot for Sinaïa :upside_down_face:)

Does anyone have any recommendations for names with a similar ‘i’ sound (either masculine or feminine)?

i think it’s completely reasonable, there’s no reason for the hospital to be either a bad association or the one and only for the name.

i’d think geographically with this one, with a side thought of it being a religious choice.

as pointed out, if you’re not jewish, you might not want to hop onto the bandwagon right now. if it’s just name thoughts, i love it. honestly i might add it to my own list.

sorry sinai was crossed off the list! menai and shiloh are also great, love that i sound.

some more ideas for you: silas, cyrus, kai, yannai (however you want to spell it), shai, ira, irie, isla, iris, isis (if you think greek), ida, jai, heidi, gaia, lyra, naia, wyatt, wiley, zion

1 Like

[name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_f]Cyra[/name_f], [name_f]Myra[/name_f], [name_f]Gaia[/name_f], [name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] (usability varies), [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], [name_m]Fife[/name_m], [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Hiram[/name_m], [name_f]Ayomide[/name_f], [name_m]Carlisle[/name_m], [name_f]Moriah[/name_f], [name_f]Ione[/name_f], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f], [name_m]Clive[/name_m], [name_m]Bryce[/name_m], [name_m]Micah[/name_m], [name_m]Lyle[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_m]Orion[/name_m], [name_f]Dinah[/name_f], [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], [name_m]Cyprus[/name_m], [name_m]Gaius[/name_m], [name_f]Iola[/name_f], [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], [name_m]Kyle[/name_m], [name_m]Uriah[/name_m], [name_f]Eilish[/name_f], [name_m]Ozias[/name_m], [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f], [name_m]Titus[/name_m], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_m]Niall[/name_m]

1 Like