Siri

Hello again-

[name]EDIT[/name]: I just noticed that someone else already posted about [name]Siri[/name]. I’m going to go read those posts quickly…I tried to delete this, but the site wouldn’t let me delete. [name]Feel[/name] free to give me some advice if you’d like.

I was at a family reunion this weekend, and my grandmother, who is having some memory troubles, kept thinking that I had another daughter named [name]Siri[/name]. She told me over and over again how lovely, cute, and interesting the name [name]Siri[/name] is, and how glad she was that I used it. Her comments got me thinking about the name [name]Siri[/name], because its actually a nickname I really like, but can’t use the full name [name]Sigrid[/name] because I already have an [name]Ingrid[/name].

Can you think of any other names that could lead to the nickname [name]Siri[/name]? I know there’s been a thread about Americans and their nicknames, and I’ve been thinking of using [name]Siri[/name] by itself, but I’m also just looking for possible “fuller” names.

So far, I’ve got:
[name]Serena[/name] (seh-REEN-uh)
[name]Sirena[/name] (seer-EHN-uh)
[name]Sierra[/name] (I know that in [name]California[/name] and probably much of the United States, this name refers to different mountain ranges. However, in Spanish, it really means “saw” and is a conjugated form of the verb serrar, as in “ella sierra” or “she saws”. Not sure I could get past this association since I speak Spanish and have spent/will spend a lot of time in Spanish speaking countries)
Siribelle (I know, I know - this is totally made up and trendy and whatnot. But, since [name]Siri[/name] is a nickname for [name]Sigrid[/name], which means “fair victory”, Siribelle would mean “beautiful, fair victory” which I think is kind of cool - or, it would mean “beautiful secret” if you take the Swahili name [name]Siri[/name]. [name]Just[/name] though I’d put it on the list)

Any other ideas? If I were to go with just [name]Siri[/name], the combo would probably be [name]Siri[/name] [name]Maribel[/name] (if we were to honor someone from my family) or [name]Siri[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] (if we honor someone from DH’s family). With [name]Serena[/name] or [name]Sirena[/name] or [name]Sierra[/name], the middles would probably be either [name]Maribel[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], or [name]Lily[/name]. I especially like [name]Serena[/name] [name]Lily[/name] (or peaceful/calm lily). Oh - do you think it would be a bad idea to use [name]Lillian[/name] since my daughter Esm”'s middle name is [name]Suzanne[/name]? (they have the same meaning). [name]Suzanne[/name] was actually in honor of a [name]Susan[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name] would be in honor of a [name]Lillian[/name]. I feel like it might be a bit awkward now to try and tell the [name]Lillian[/name] that our four-year-old daughter’s middle name was actually also in honor of her.

Thanks for any help you can give!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

I don’t personally like the name [name]Siri[/name] (I prefer [name]Sigrid[/name]) but I knew a [name]Siri[/name], and it seemed to stand alone pretty well. However, with your other daughter’s names, I think it lacks substance and feels less like a name. If you use it as a nickname, I think your best bet is [name]Serena[/name], which still feels a little mainstream with [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Esme[/name], though it is a pretty name. [name]Sierra[/name] is extremely trendy, and I would even say trashy. If I came across a sisters named [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Esme[/name], and [name]Sierra[/name], I would assume they were named by different people and feel sorry for poor [name]Sierra[/name]. Siribelle, despite its meaning, is just made-up and cutesy. In fact, you could even call her that as a nickname for [name]Siri[/name] itself. For [name]Siri[/name] as a full name, I like [name]Siri[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]. [name]Serena[/name] [name]Maribel[/name] is lovely!

Sounds like [name]Suri[/name] to me. very [name]Tom[/name] and [name]Kate[/name].

I love the name [name]Siri[/name] and I think it can stand on its own. I do not think of [name]Suri[/name] when I hear [name]Siri[/name]. [name]Suri[/name] to me is “Sur-ee” and [name]Siri[/name] is “Seer-ree/Seer-ee”. I think that [name]Siri[/name] is a beautiful name and I think that if you felt [name]Siri[/name] needed to be short for something [name]Sigrid[/name] is the way to go. I like the name [name]Sigrid[/name]. I think it is unique and conveys strength. [name]Siri[/name] is one of my favorite names. I’m all about it!

Thanks for all the comments!

irisrose - Hmm, I am definitely being able to see [name]Sierra[/name] as more trashy now as well. Plus, I just cannot get over the “saw” connection. I’m glad you like [name]Siri[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Serena[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]! I agree that [name]Siri[/name] lacks substance along with my daughters’ names, which is why I want it only as a nickname. Right now I’m leaning towards [name]Serena[/name]…thanks for your honest thoughts!

jakki - okay, valid observation

caitalinna - I love [name]Sigrid[/name], but as I mentioned in my original post, my daughter’s name is [name]Ingrid[/name], and I don’t want [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Sigrid[/name]. But thanks for the positive feedback!

Now, I’m going to be putting [name]Serena[/name] (nn [name]Siri[/name]) on my list (as well as [name]Sirena[/name] nn [name]Siri[/name] - I don’t think anyone commented on it, but I still really like it), and I’ll most likely revisit this once I actually become pregnant. Thanks again!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Honestly, maybe it’s just me, but I like [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Esme[/name], and [name]Siri[/name]. I think it’s a lovely name and I would personally be fine just using that. I think [name]Sirena[/name] and [name]Serena[/name] are very pretty too. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think [name]Siri[/name] does fit with [name]Ingrid[/name] and Esm” because they are all two-syllables, but I’m still torn between whether it would need a full name or not. [name]Glad[/name] you like [name]Sirena[/name] and [name]Serena[/name]. I have them on my list.

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Jumping in late to the discussion -

I’m also considering [name]Siri[/name] and am not too keen on [name]Sigrid[/name] either (in our case the last name is very Scandinavian-sounding and together it’s almost too much, [name]IMO[/name]!)
Have you considered [name]Sarai[/name], nn [name]Siri[/name]? I know it’s sort of throwing in an Old Testament tone, but I do think [name]Siri[/name] fits nicely as a nn.

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who likes [name]Siri[/name]! That’s what DH and I are most likely naming our baby girl who is due to come any day now. We aren’t using it as a nickname, though. I actually prefer it as a name by itself - I think it does very well holding its own :slight_smile:

However, I think Siriana is adorable. I’m not usually big on “ana” names personally, but I think this name is exquisite! The other name I love as a longer version of [name]Siri[/name] is [name]Serena[/name] (which already has been mentioned). I can’t use [name]Serena[/name], though, because my sister-in-law’s name is [name]Sarina[/name]. [name]Sirena[/name] has such a gorgeous sound… it’s very unusual without being too far fetched.

[name]Siri[/name] (as a full name), Siriana, [name]Sirena[/name] and [name]Serena[/name] all sound beautiful with [name]Ingrid[/name] & [name]Esme[/name].

[name]Siri[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]
Siriana [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Sirena[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Serena[/name] [name]Lily[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!
I’m from [name]Sweden[/name], and nowadays [name]Siri[/name] is not short for [name]Sigrid[/name]- it’s a name in its own right, and [name]Siri[/name] has been used as a given name since the 17th century. [name]Siri[/name] is placed #55 in the Swedish top list for girls, whereas [name]Sigrid[/name] isn’t on the top 100. Other suggestions for you might be [name]Signe[/name] or [name]Signy[/name] or even [name]Silje[/name], if you like Scandinavian names. I definitely think one can name a little girl [name]Siri[/name]. Best of luck! : )