Sister for Mark

We’ve been struggling with finding girl names we both like. Somehow both DH and I happen to have preferences for shorter names starting with M, although we really are NOT trying to match them! So far our top contenders are [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] concern about [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is that it is very close to our son’s name ([name_m]Mark[/name_m]). Is it too matchy? [name_m]Will[/name_m] it be difficult/confusing in everyday life?

1 Like

Yes, I do think [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is too close, unfortunately. However, I do think the M initial theme is a great way to connect their names!

I second the suggestion of [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. And I’d add…
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] or [name_f]Macie[/name_f]/Macy
[name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]

Or…you might consider a name with an M nickname, like [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] “[name_f]Mandie[/name_f]/Mandy” or [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”.

1 Like

We really are struggling with the names both of us like… And we weren’t limiting ourselves with just M’s. I personally liked [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_u]Nichole[/name_u], [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], but they’re all out. [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] are the only ones that made it to the top, after talking through lots of others. We agreed to choose one of them. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_f]Mara[/name_f] are cute, but haven’t made our short lists. We both also strongly considered [name_f]Maya[/name_f], but all of the grandparents actively pushed against it.

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry! I love [name_f]Margo[/name_f], but sadly, I do find it a little too close to your son’s name. I’ll try to suggest some more names that remind me of [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_u]Nichole[/name_u], [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], and [name_f]Maya[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

“O” endings: [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Winslow[/name_u], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Harlow[/name_u]. I’m not sure if any of these are your style, but they share [name_f]Margo[/name_f]'s bright, energetic “o” ending!

Nostalgic vibes: [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_u]Nichole[/name_u], and [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] all feel a little nostalgic to me. In that vain, maybe [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Danielle[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f].

Classics: [name_m]Mark[/name_m] is such a solid, down-to-earth classic. It reminds me of [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

Underused classics: Then again, [name_m]Mark[/name_m] is a little more uncommon these days than most of the names I just mentioned. So maybe something a little more unusual would appeal? [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u]/Louisa, [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]?

[name_u]French[/name_u]-inspired: [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] give me the same [name_u]French[/name_u]-inspired vibe as [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], and [name_u]Nichole[/name_u], and I love them with [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. Or maybe [name_f]Colette[/name_f] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]?

Modern classics: [name_f]Keira[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] strike me as grounded modern favorites. Maybe [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]?

Biblical choices: [name_m]Mark[/name_m] would pair naturally with something like [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f].

“M” names: If you do decide to stick with the pattern, maybe: [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Melia[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Marielle[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f]?

I think my favorites for you are [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f], and [name_f]Leah[/name_f]–but really, so many options would go beautifully with your son’s classic name. I hope this helps–good luck!

Have you thought of [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f],[name_f]Margery[/name_f],Magdalin, [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], or [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. : )

Maybe that would help with them sounding similar

1 Like

Margo is way to close to Mark , Michelle would be my choice

Some other ideas

Mark & _______:

Maren
Maggie
Mila
Mina
Meghan
Melanie
Marisol
Meredith
Meadow
Mercedes “Sadie”
Mallory
Melinda
Marissa
Melody
Bridget
Bonnie
Cierra
Jada
Shelby
Colbie
Elyse
Robin
Cadence
Cassidy
Felicity
Rebekah/Rebecca
Johanna
Savannah
Jocelyn
Carly
Paige
Tatum
Sage
Daphne
Gemma
Nora/Cora
Delia
Farrah
Lydia
Lorelei
Vera
Tabitha
Talia
Juliet
Georgia
Audra
Corinne
Tarren
Chloe

1 Like

Too similar for me. I really like these M names with [name_m]Mark[/name_m]!
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]

1 Like

But if [name_f]Margo[/name_f] will be her NN, that’s what’s she will end up being called all the time anyway, which brings us back to it being too similar to [name_m]Mark[/name_m]…

Thank you for such a nice and thorough recommendation! A lot of these names made our short list, but for various reasons we narrowed it down to [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f]…

1 Like

It’s really normal for parents to disagree on what names they like. On one hand, it sounds like you’ve already found your compromise with [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. On the other hand, it sounds like [name_f]Margo[/name_f] might now be out of contention and the only remaining option seems less satisfactory. [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] is a good option and will serve your daughter well, but if you’re not wanting to commit to it, perhaps you could try some new approaches to your name search.

How did you name your first child? Did one person do more compromising on the first name or middle name? This time the other person could have more say. Instead of vetoing each other’s names, you could rank each list and remove the names that both appear in the bottom half of both lists. Of the remaining names, you could focus on the reasons why you like the name as opposed to reasons why either of you don’t. You could try out each name for a day and see which ones feel more suitable. You could also pretend you had to eliminate a name and see what your reactions are to that. In similar way, you could do some voting polls online and see how you react to the results.

1 Like

Oh there were actually about 5 more names that we both liked, but they ended up out for various reasons. Your view of current situation is very accurate! Naming our son was quite easy: [name_m]Mark[/name_m] fit all our naming preferences, nobody was against it, and now 4 years later we agree on how well our boy’s name works. Now with his sister it’s not so easy. We will def try the list and the ‘try a name for a day’ approach, thank you!

I always liked [name_f]Mamie[/name_f]

Margo is too close to [name_m]Mark[/name_m] in my opinion. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maya[/name_f]?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Moira[/name_f]?

Margo is pretty to [name_m]Mark[/name_m]…
If you like M names here are some suggestions
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
McKayla
McKenzie
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Myra[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]