"Sister" for Stanley

I just got my husband to agree to another puppy!

In a year or two. :wink:

Close enough.

But I want to start dreaming! Against my will, our current border collie pup is [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] (though I say his full name is [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] Hiccup).

We want to get a girl, another border collie. (Part of the reason for the delay is so we give [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] time to mature before heā€™s fixed and also time to settle down.) Weā€™re not sure of coloring or anything like that, but Iā€™ll probably be looking out for a tricolor, a merle, or a red/white. That said, we might end up with another black/white border collie like [name_u]Stanley[/name_u].

But what to call her?

I want a name that goes well with [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] (and [name_m]Philip[/name_m], our fishā€“we have a whole vibe that I donā€™t even like lol!) but also is something I actually like. For dogs, I prefer names that either relate to something I really enjoy or more traditional border collie/farm dog/etc. names.

Names I considered for [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] that may help:
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
Hiccup
[name_m]Wickham[/name_m] (big [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] fan)
[name_u]Knightley[/name_u] (^)
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] (^)
[name_u]Dash[/name_u]
Gyp
[name_m]Moray[/name_m]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]

About Stanley's Name: an explanation

I actually donā€™t like [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], and I donā€™t feel it fits him. I wanted to name him [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] or something like that! We also discussed [name_u]Perry[/name_u] (hence the middle). However, his litter (my parents breed border collies professionally as a hobby) was all named after characters from The Office. And his name was [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] (a joke, because [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] and ā€œKevinā€ were so small they were afraid he wouldnā€™t make it!). Well, I fell in love with [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] as a plucky little runt who refused to give up and who was so personable even as a two-year-old pup. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents were concerned as, due to being pseudo-rejected by his mom, he was sure to have some growth/developmental/digestive issues as he was even worse off than ā€œKevin,ā€ which he does (heā€™s still tiny, but they say healthy). They didnā€™t feel super comfortable with him going to someone they didnā€™t know, let alone someone who wasnā€™t aware that this was a dog who could have health problems. But putting him down was a non-option, obviously. So they pulled him through, and I helped, not thinking I would ever keep him myself! But then my husband also fell in love with him, and we decided to keep him. But the name! We couldnā€™t change the darn name. We were all just too used to it. Oh well.

1 Like

Sharing a baby picture of [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] for reference!
1 Like

Baby Stanley is so adorable!

Iā€™m just leaning into the Jane Austen thing hereā€¦what about Cassandra / Cassie, Pemberley, Darcy, Bennet / Bennie, or Dash as in Dashwood? (Bingley is high on my list of future dog names!)

1 Like

Random thoughtā€¦ Is [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] a hockey fan? [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] Hiccup, [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] Cup??

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m leaning toward a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] name! I actually was thinking about just [name_u]Austen[/name_u]. But I might end up with something more recognizably female.

1 Like

Oh, I didnā€™t even know that was a thing! Iā€™m not a hockey person. Iā€™m a How To Train Your Dragon nerd, lol.

1 Like

I have a female friend named [name_u]Austen[/name_u]! I consider the -en spelling to be the feminine variation of [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

[name_u]Stanley[/name_u] is adorable. I love the name [name_u]Dash[/name_u].

Maybe [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]? I had a border collie mix named Tinsel, so Iā€™ll throw that out too. And Iā€™m very keen on the name Ladybug for girl dogs.

1 Like