Sister for Tirza

[name]Baby[/name] #4, a girl, is due this [name]July[/name]. [name]Tirza[/name] (Hebrew place name, female) is our oldest, followed by [name]Luke[/name] and then [name]Liam[/name] (not twins). I’d like a name that goes with [name]Tirza[/name] (pronounced TEER-zah) but doesn’t sound too matchy. I’m not set on a “T” name, but we’re considering the name [name]Thea[/name], pronounced [name]TAY[/name]-uh after my great-grandma. I actually don’t mind [name]Thea[/name] pronounced as THEE-uh, but my husband doesn’t seem to like it. Any thoughts?? [name]How[/name] do all the names sound together? Any other name suggestions? Please comment. Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name] there! If you’re looking for a girls’ name for [name]Tirza[/name]'s sister, and you don’t want it to be too matchy, I’d definitely stay away from [name]Thea[/name], as [name]Tirza[/name] and [name]Thea[/name] do feel quite matchy. (They begin with T, have two syllables, and and with an “uh” sound.) What about [name]Theodora[/name], which isn’t matchy, but gives you the nicknames [name]Dora[/name] and [name]Thea[/name]?

This one is actually kind of hard, because while all three children have very lovely names, [name]Tirza[/name] is Hebrew, [name]Luke[/name] is a name associated with the New Testament, and [name]Liam[/name] is Irish. [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Liam[/name] are of the same general style, but [name]Tirza[/name], a lovely, lovely name, is the unique, rarely heard (outside of [name]Israel[/name]) name of the set.

[name]Do[/name] you want your new baby’s name to match with the style of [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Liam[/name], or with that of [name]Tirza[/name]?

[name]Tirza[/name]'s style (Hebrew or exotic):

[name]Adina[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Katarina[/name]
[name]Karenna[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name]/[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]/[name]Mena[/name]
[name]Melora[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Rafaela[/name]/Raphaella
[name]Raquel[/name]
Shoshanna
[name]Simona[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tovah[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]

Names that work with [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Liam[/name]:
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name] (I think [name]Georgiana[/name] could work with [name]Tirza[/name], too)
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]May[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Best wishes to you!

Thanks, jill, for your reply! I would like baby girl’s name to match the style/feeling of [name]Tirza[/name], that is a more unique, unusual or exotic name. And I’m hoping that somehow all four sibling names will generally work together–which is a tall order I think. I agree, [name]Thea[/name] is too matchy.

Some other names on my list include:
[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Romy[/name]
[name]Shiloh[/name] (though I don’t really like the Brangelina association)
[name]Signe[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

And I especially like some that you proposed: [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name]. Many on your second list I’d consider for a middle name.

Thanks for your help! Any other comments or suggestions??

I’d go for a closer [name]Tirza[/name] match, too. (I actually went to school with a [name]Tirza[/name] growing up, and it’s a lovely name.) :slight_smile: I’m sure others will be along to comment, but I’m having fun with this in the meantime!

[name]Adair[/name]: I’d keep this for a middle, because [name]Tirza[/name] calls for a similarly femininely named sister.

[name]Romy[/name]: What about [name]Romilly[/name], nickname [name]Romy[/name]? What about [name]Roma[/name]?

[name]Shiloh[/name] (though I don’t really like the Brangelina association): Yeah, this is too much of a Brangelina name, and feels too Southern paired with Hebrew [name]Tirza[/name].

[name]Signe[/name]: I’d be worried about pronunciation troubles…

[name]Waverly[/name]: This would be my choice from your list.

And I especially like some that you proposed: [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name]. Many on your second list I’d consider for a middle name.

Other ideas:
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Daria[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Noa[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Roma[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Trista[/name] (Although I’m not sure if this is any less match than [name]Thea[/name]…For non-matchy T names, I think I’d stick with [name]Talia[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name], or [name]Tatiana[/name]…)

All of your children have beautiful names. I love the suggestion of [name]Elodie[/name]. Other suggestions.

[name]Tyne[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Adalia[/name]
[name]Gavrielle[/name]
[name]Amari[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Joelle[/name]
[name]Bina[/name]
[name]Neila[/name]
[name]Niva[/name]
[name]Zadie[/name]
[name]Zohara[/name]
[name]Erela[/name]

[name]Sadie[/name] would be darling, but [name]Zadie[/name] means Grandpa in Yiddish! :slight_smile:

Well maybe not the best suggestion by me :slight_smile:

[name]Zadie[/name] is a really cute name, and it was a great suggestion! I just thought she may want to know about the whole grandpa thing, especially considering that [name]Tirza[/name] is Hebrew! :slight_smile:

[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Xenia[/name]
Paisha
[name]Vicenzia[/name] nn [name]Zia[/name]
[name]Gelsey[/name]
[name]Simona[/name]
[name]Clea[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] nn [name]Dora[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]

I like [name]Clea[/name] or [name]Clio[/name]/[name]Cleo[/name]!

The suggestion of [name]Zadie[/name] reminded me of the name [name]Zarah[/name] - I went to school with a girl named that and to me it has a lot of the same sound as [name]Tirza[/name]. I think you wanted another name that started with a T but saying [name]Zarah[/name] reminded me of another girl from school named [name]Zanna[/name] - oh no now I’m stuck on Zs :wink:

I went through the Hebrew origin’s list here on nameberry and these are my favorites for a sister for [name]Tirza[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Akiva[/name]
[name]Arella[/name]/[name]Arelle[/name]
[name]Briella[/name] (because I adore this name)
[name]Dalia[/name]
[name]Danya[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Etana[/name] (sounds sweet with [name]Tirza[/name]!)
[name]Joelle[/name]/ [name]Joella[/name]
[name]Kiriah[/name] (KIR-ee-ah) (ooo! I like this one, maybe not so much with [name]Tirza[/name], though :frowning: )
[name]Odeda[/name]
[name]Ranita[/name] (love the “-ita” with [name]Tirza[/name])
[name]Rayna[/name]
[name]Reuelle[/name]
[name]Salome[/name]
[name]Zemora[/name] (although the Z is a bit difficult to get out after saying “[name]Tirza[/name]” [name]Tirza[/name] and [name]Zemora[/name])
[name]Zohara[/name]

My tops: [name]Odeda[/name], [name]Ruelle[/name], [name]Eliora[/name]

Well, my real name is [name]Tirzah[/name]. To me, the thing that makes [name]Tirzah[/name] stand out is its Biblical origins and the fact that [name]Tirzah[/name] is a strong female figure in the Bible. (Made requests to [name]Moses[/name]; became the first female landowner in written history along with her sisters.) So, along those lines, I like [name]Junia[/name], the only female Apostle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[name]Junia[/name]

Another possible name is [name]Kezia[/name] (daughter of [name]Job[/name]; also a female landowner “Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as [name]Job[/name]'s daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers.”) Pronounced Kuh-ZYE-uh.

If you’re willing to stray from actual people, there is the name [name]Acacia[/name], the name of a tree that is referenced frequently in the Bible. My daughter has a classmate (kinder)with that name.

I do have a sister, but I don’t think her name matches very well with mine. Her name is [name]Liberty[/name], nn [name]Libby[/name]. HTH!

I like tovah as a tirza’s sister. i think it’s a nice duo to go with the boys’ names.
also:
alma
teva (tay-va, kind of)
yael
talma
tikva
astrid (not hebrew, obviously)

I really like the idea of a T name for symmetry between the genders. My suggestions:

[name]Tamar[/name]
Telluza - One “[name]Tirza[/name]” in the Bible is a city also called Telluza.
[name]Tabea[/name] - [name]German[/name] short form of [name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Titania[/name]
[name]Topaz[/name]

I also support the previous suggestions of [name]Tova[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name], [name]Talia[/name], [name]Tatiana[/name], and [name]Tabitha[/name].

[name]Non[/name]-T suggestions:

[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Atara[/name]/[name]Atarah[/name]
[name]Ketura[/name]/[name]Keturah[/name]
[name]Damaris[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]/[name]Lorelai[/name]
[name]Eimer[/name]/[name]Eimear[/name] - a character in an Irish legend; pronounced EE-mer. (Matches [name]Liam[/name] too)
[name]Elisheva[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name] - aside from the obvious, it means pleasnt, same as [name]Tirza[/name]
[name]Noemi[/name]/[name]Noemie[/name] - see above
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Sadhbh[/name]/Saibh/Syve - a nuisance to spell though
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]/[name]Beatriz[/name] - could go by [name]Trixie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Geneva[/name]

I also like the previous suggestions of [name]Esme[/name], [name]Junia[/name], and [name]Clio[/name].

Good luck!

how about melisande?

What about [name]Ziporah[/name]?

how about [name]RAYA[/name] pronounced [name]RAY[/name]-uh?

I knew a girl named [name]Yona[/name]. I really like it and I think it would fit.

Thank you all for your thoughtful input and suggestions! I’ve checked back frequently these past few months. We’re fairly certain, however, that baby girl’s first name will be “[name]Thea[/name]” afterall (pronounced [name]Tay[/name]-a). We’re excited to use this family name. Now that I’m 38 weeks, we’re needing a middle name asap. Here’s our list:

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (my other 3 children have Hebrew middles–[name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Michael[/name] & [name]Benjamin[/name])
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] (since she’ll be born in [name]July[/name])
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] (I think I prefer a 3-syllable MN though)

Any thoughts or other suggestions?? Thank you again!