Sister for Valentina Joy

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] friends! Help please!!
I am a native [name_f]English[/name_f] speaker and my husband is Hispanic. Our goal is to only speak Spanish with our daughter. I am committed to giving our children one name in each language (first and middle) so that both parts of their identity are represented.

We need a sister for [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] (Nina) and would like to use one of these family names as a middle.

Middle names: [name_f]Lois[/name_f] (Luisa? Lucia?), [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

First names:
-Josefina (husband says it makes him think of [name_m]Jose[/name_m] and doesn’t love it) or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] … either way “Josie”. this is my absolute favorite and I want a Jose!! But my concern is switching between the two first sounds in her name. Does it make sense to name her “ho-sefina” if she’s going to go by “Josie” or would naming her [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] cheat her of her Hispanic “roots”??

-Fernanda (Fer/Fern) husband’s favorite, feels too masculine/strong for me.

• [name_f]Dalia[/name_f]

-Cecelia (Cece/cici)

-Paulina (Polly)

-Flora

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!
Fellow Spanish as a second language person here :relaxed:

Would it work to give this baby an [name_f]English[/name_f] first name and Spanish middle? [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] is lovely next to [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]. [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and [name_u]Josie[/name_u] are sweet sisters.

[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] would also get you to Josie; I’ve known a couple in Latin [name_u]America[/name_u].

Otherwise, I think [name_f]Fernanda[/name_f] is zippy and fun. [name_u]Fern[/name_u] is s nickname with a totally different feel–I like it a lot. [name_f]Andie[/name_f] would be cute too. I also like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] “Polly.”

Other Spanish girl names I love:
[name_f]Milagros[/name_f] “Mila”
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f] “Talia”
[name_f]Anabela[/name_f] “Ana”
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] “Emi”
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] “Polly”

1 Like

Cecelia Luisa would be lovely

I love the suggestion of Joselyn. Joselyn Lusia “Josie” would be beautiful

Other ideas

Elodia Heath “Lola”
Lumina Marie “Lumi”
Paloma Marie “Polly”
Eloisa Lucia
Raquel Luisa " Roxy"
Beatriz Lucia
Coletta Marie “Etta”
Jacinda Heath “Indy” “Jacey”
Lourdes Luisa “Lola” “Lula”
Nathalia Lois “Talia”
Ramona Marie “Romy”

1 Like

[name_f]Fernanda[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Dalia[/name_f] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Josefina[/name_f] are wonderful

Oooh, [name_f]Dalia[/name_f]! [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]!

I think [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] (Nina) and [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] (not changing the honor name, like you were thinking with Lois) are amazingly charming, and you’d pronounce [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] the same in both languages. [name_f]Gorgeous[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite with [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f], though I prefer the sound of [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] in Spanish. I’m not such a big fan of the rhyming -ina sounds of [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] and [name_f]Josefina[/name_f], so that one and [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] are my least favourites for you.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] I love but maybe it’s a bit too reminiscent of “Valentines [name_u]Day[/name_u] flowers” paired as a sister to Valentina?!
[name_f]Dalia[/name_f] is pretty and my second favourite after [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f].
[name_f]Fernanda[/name_f] I feel the same about as you do, though I think it can work beautifully on the right person.

I’m not sure if you’re also looking for suggestions or just for opinions?

1 Like

I love [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], such a sweet name.

What about for you Spanish name:

[name_f]Catalina[/name_f] (Cat, [name_f]Cate[/name_f], Lina)
[name_u]Cataleya[/name_u] (Cata, [name_f]Leya[/name_f], [name_f]Cat[/name_f], Caya)
[name_f]Alejandra[/name_f] (Allie, [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], Lexie)
[name_f]Violeta[/name_f] (Violet, [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Via[/name_f], Leta)
[name_f]Anamaria[/name_f] (Ana, [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Ria[/name_f], Ama)
[name_f]Rosaria[/name_f] (Rose, [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], Ria)
[name_u]Rosario[/name_u] (Rose, [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], Rosie)
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] (Isa, [name_f]Belle[/name_f], Bella)

I think you could name your daughter either [name_f]Josefina[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Josie[/name_u] or whatever nickname and be just fine. It’s all equally interchangeable and I don’t think it would be confusing.

[name_f]Grecia[/name_f] Lois/Marie
[name_f]Noelia[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Alejandra[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]