Sister of Snow White?

So, here’s the low down: I’m a young writer and have recently chosen to re-write [name]Snow[/name] White. The protagonist is not [name]Snow[/name] however, it’s her never-before mentioned little sister. There’s only one problem, I need a name for her.

Originally, I was thinking names like ‘[name]Pearl[/name] White’ and ‘[name]Alice[/name] White’ (NOTE: both are actual colours). But knowing that ‘White’ is [name]Snow[/name]'s middle name…it’s not going to really work. So, I need another colour…and I haven’t found one with quite the right ring to it…

I’ve considered ‘[name]Crimson[/name] [name]Red[/name]’, ‘Lust [name]Red[/name]’ and ‘[name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Red[/name]’. But, I can’t help but think that while the second name is a colour like ‘White’, the first name isn’t a noun like ‘[name]Snow[/name]’ and ‘[name]Pearl[/name]’. So I’ve abandoned those as well. My sister has considered ‘Blood [name]Red[/name]’, which at first schocked me, but I became rather warm to after knowing that she envied [name]Snow[/name] as much as the Evil [name]Queen[/name] and was, after all, the Evil [name]Queen[/name]'s daughter by blood. But, I’m still not too sure.

So, does any one have some suggestions that follow the noun-colour idea? And should I re-consider any of my previous suggestions (including [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Crimson[/name], Lust, [name]Scarlet[/name] and Blood)?

NOTE: I am avoiding ‘[name]Rose[/name] [name]Red[/name]’ as to avoid confusion for any of those who are familiar with Grimm’s ‘[name]Snow[/name]-White and [name]Rose[/name]-[name]Red[/name]’.

Thanks for the help! I am desperately in need!

[name]River[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Sky[/name] [name]Blue[/name]

I like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Red[/name], but then it’s two colors as opposed to a color and a noun. I don’t know, most things are going to sound a little funny. If [name]Snow[/name] White wasn’t so well known, that would sound funny as well.

The queen has a very outward expression of what is beautiful. So I think if she were to name a daughter with the same theme as [name]Snow[/name] Whites mother, she would try to “out do” [name]Snow[/name] Whites mother, if not because snow is such a common thing, but because she is envious of the attention [name]Snow[/name] Whites dead mother is still getting, even to the point that her own daughters name must “match” the womans daughter. I think she would go with something like [name]Precious[/name] [name]Gold[/name].

See I would go with something far less obvious and quite sweet sounding. Does the sister start out being horrible or is that something we find out as we go along? If you give her a sweet name it creates tension between what we expect and what we find out about her. If you go with Blood-[name]Red[/name] the reader is already going to have a set picture in their mind of her, which turns her into somewhat of a stereotype. What are you wanting to do with the character? For some reason I’m thinking [name]Willow[/name] would be perfect. It still has a magical fairytale ring to it and it’s also organic, but it’s sweet and innocent which would set up a nice contrast. It also makes her somewhat human because it’s a name that has gained popularity of late and people will be able to connect with it.

Sorry if I’m way off here, just my two cents. Good luck!

Yeah that was kind of where I was going with [name]Precious[/name]. A girl named [name]Precious[/name] who is actually quit wicked is kind of creepy. :stuck_out_tongue: I grew up with a girl named [name]Precious[/name] for what its worth. xD

My mind immediately went to “opposite of snow”, as in weather. [name]Sunshine[/name]. [name]Blue[/name] skies. Or, conversely, warm rain on a grey, cloudy day. [name]Just[/name] another angle to consider - perhaps more to play with than the usual color-name plays.

ETA: Or, perhaps [name]Snow[/name]'s younger sister has a completely ordinary, normal name, and that’s what differentiates her from her sister, both in title and psychologically. [name]Snow[/name] has a special name, a special destiny, she’s so different, etc etc. The younger sister is plain by comparison, perhaps, and her name reflects her anonymity in her famous sister’s shadow. Something simple, but workable: [name]Blair[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Callie[/name], [name]Marie[/name].

I really like the [name]Precious[/name] [name]Gold[/name] idea, but here are a few random ones that I’ve had come to mind…
Chocolate [name]Ebony[/name]
Envy [name]Green[/name]
[name]Emerald[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Emerald[/name]… (says envious without being so forward)
[name]Night[/name] [name]Onyx[/name] (sounds dark and mysterious while being total opposites)
[name]Plum[/name] [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Berrie[/name] [name]Violet[/name] ( I like purple for her sister because its the color of bruises and she is obviously hurt to envy her own sister… Also fruit bruises easily)
[name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name] or [name]Blue[/name] [name]Winter[/name] (Because blue is sorrowful and winter is cold and bitter)
Smoke/Smokey [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Misty[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
… My favs are: [name]Emerald[/name] [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Night[/name] [name]Onyx[/name], [name]Plum[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name], & [name]Misty[/name] [name]Gray[/name]!!
Good luck!
-<3

Hrm…
[name]Pearl[/name] [name]Grey[/name]
Envy [name]Green[/name]
[name]Berry[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Sky[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]River[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Ocean[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Rain[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Cash[/name] [name]Green[/name] (a ln made into a unisex fn would sound cool on a tomboy…)
[name]Hart[/name] [name]Gold[/name]
[name]Honey[/name] [name]Gold[/name]/Yellow
[name]Lion[/name] [name]Gold[/name]/Yellow (maybe a bit too bold for the character…)
Blush [name]Pink[/name]
Charcoal/Charr/[name]Coal[/name] [name]Grey[/name]
[name]Leaf[/name] [name]Green[/name]
Dew [name]Blue[/name] (eh, it sounded better before I realized it rhymed…)
[name]Storm[/name] [name]Grey[/name]
[name]Stone[/name] [name]Grey[/name]
Mudd [name]Brown[/name]

I think part of why [name]Snow[/name] White is [name]Snow[/name] White is the sense of purity and virginity you get from it, so picking a name that’s not so obviously describing the character but still is is good.

Oh i just thought of one, what about Prism? A Prism seperates white light into seven colors… (seperates [name]SNOW[/name] WHITE? from [name]SEVEN[/name] DWARFS?) and the thing about the mother being jealous and wanting to out do Snows mother, a Prism makes rainbows. It isn’t a color exactly, but it gives the idea of all the colors.

I can’t thank you all enough. I was truly stumped!

I am adoring [name]Precious[/name] [name]Gold[/name] especially, as well as [name]Night[/name] [name]Onyx[/name].

And ninanoo, you are a genius! Not only does it fit in such a way that you explained, it has a very loveable ring to it. i’ve just been repeating in my head over and over! Prism. Prism. Prism.

When you were describing what [name]Snow[/name]'s sister is supposed to be like personality-wise, I kept thinking [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Blue[/name]. [name]Ruby[/name] implies precious because it’s a gem name but also has a really sassy sound that’s familiar enough for your readers to identify with. [name]Blue[/name] because psychologically, [name]Ruby[/name] is emotionally battered after not only living in her half sister’s shadow but having her mother ignore her due to her obsession with [name]Snow[/name]. So she’d literally be [name]Blue[/name], too!!

I liked the idea that blue implies inner strength and power and ruby (red) implies passion and fire.

[name]Hope[/name] you find that helpful!!
L xx

Wow. Prism.That is so clever, I think it’s a winner. [name]Prism[/name] [name]Gold[/name]. I think would personify the character perfectly. What an ingenious suggestion :slight_smile: I aren’t even going to suggest any others because I think it’s a fabulous idea. Have fun with your story and please share with us when it’s completed! xx