So my character's name is August, and she's a girl... why can't it be considered unisex?

[name_f]My[/name_f] character’s name in my published book, World Ashen, is the town doctor named [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Hayner. At most, you just see that her name is [name_u]August[/name_u] M. Hayner and she is a girl. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and every naming site says it’s a boy name because it’s short for [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]. Well, it’s 2022 now, and it’s still not unisex, but [name_u]Parker[/name_u] is? Why?

3 Likes

August certainly is unisex. it’s ranked 856 for girls in the US.

9 Likes

it’s unisex here! i see it as a full name by itself for either girl or boy. maybe whoever wrote that it was for a boy on the other sites prefers it on that gender? idk lol

2 Likes

I absolutely consider August unisex! It’s my cousin’s middle name, and she’s a girl.

People just have different ideas of what makes a name unisex, male, female, etc, I suppose.

2 Likes

Also! August is listed as unisex here on Nameberry. :relaxed:

2 Likes

[name_u]August[/name_u] is totally unisex! In my middle school we actually had both a girl [name_u]August[/name_u] and a boy [name_u]August[/name_u] (called Gus)

2 Likes

I know a girl named [name_u]August[/name_u] :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I feel like it’s a pretty unisex name

1 Like

[name_u]August[/name_u] is definitely unisex! It’s actually my favourite girl’s name! Where I live (Scotland), [name_u]August[/name_u] (g) actually ranked higher than [name_u]August[/name_u] (b) in 2020

1 Like

i think its use is very unisex. if you aren’t sure you can use [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] or [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] or [name_f]Augustina[/name_f].

but especially for a character having a female named [name_u]August[/name_u] even if it’s perceived as a male name, still develops that character

1 Like

I definitely think [name_u]August[/name_u] can be used as a unisex name. It feels similar to [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], etc that are all used for boys and girls. I like [name_u]August[/name_u] for a girl!

1 Like

It is considered unisex, and Nameberry says it’s unisex, and if you look at the usage of the name you will see that it is indeed unisex. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would definitely call [name_u]August[/name_u] unisex. I’m sorry you’re getting such negative feedback. It seems such a silly thing for readers to pick on.

1 Like

[name_u]August[/name_u] is definitely unisex! I’ve always saw it as being more unisex than associated with a specific gender - and I’m so sorry to hear about the feedback you’re getting. I really don’t think once her gender is clarified it would be any issue for a reader, as I’d be likely to wait for the authors confirmation as I associate it as unisex.

1 Like

I have a female OC named [name_u]August[/name_u] too!

1 Like