Solveig

Hello Berries!

I’m not pregnant yet (thinking about TTC soon), but I’ve still been wondering about names for my next little babe.

What do you think of the name [name]Solveig[/name]? The spelling seems to throw people off the most, but I find its pronunciation to be very beautiful (its pn sool-vai). My daughters are named Esm” and [name]Ingrid[/name], and I’m ultimately looking for a name that fits with theirs, but is still unique and individual. Thoughts on Esm”, [name]Ingrid[/name], and [name]Solveig[/name]?

If you don’t like [name]Solveig[/name], do you have any suggestions for names that would fit with both [name]Ingrid[/name] and Esm”?

Thanks!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

I personally don’t like this name, it will get lots of pronounciation issues and I don’t think that it looks as pretty as [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name].

Some suggestions;

Milisande nn [name]Millie[/name]
[name]Nora/name
[name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Penny[/name], [name]Penn[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

Can’t think of anymore at the minute!

I REALLY dont like that name. My list is:
[name]Kerry[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]
[name]Breana[/name]
[name]Colbie[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you like any of those?

I think it’s really pretty, but I wouldn’t use it in the US. It fits very well with [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Esme[/name], though. What about:

[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
Sunniva
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Clemence[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
Eirwen
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Oceane[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Phaedra[/name]
[name]Tullia[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Zephyrine[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]

I like the sounds of it, where do u live?

My first thought was that it was a new brand of household cleaner slash Russian mafia boss! I [name]LOVE[/name] your other daughters’ names. They are beautiful and unique without sounding overly so, or having tremendously difficult spellings or pronunciations. I personally think that given the two gems you’ve already come up with for your little girls, you’ll be able to select something much more fitting to compliment them than [name]Solveig[/name].

I didn’t know how to pronounce it and I suspect that would be a common concern in the US. (It’s really pretty though the way you told us to pronouce it and it does fit w/ your other daughters names)

[name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Esme[/name]…
[name]Beatriz[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Lina[/name]/[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Zadie[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Manon[/name]

Your children have such amazing names :slight_smile: I really like [name]Solveig[/name] but I think you would get a lot of people saying it wrong. I wouldn’t usually suggest changing the spelling but I think you wouldn’t have any problems if you spelt it Solveigh, and it wouldn’t be like you would be changing the spelling to make it more ‘unique’, just so people would pronounce it right. If you think that is a bad idea I totally understand though!

Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys! It seems [name]Solveig[/name] is a little too unusual when not living in a Scandinavian country, and, unfortunately, I live in [name]California[/name]. (Maybe in somewhere like Wisconsin, a “little Norway”, I could have pulled it off) My family is from [name]Bergen[/name], Norway, while my husband’s family is from [name]France[/name], and so far we’d found two names that went well together but represent both countries. [name]Solveig[/name] would fit with the Norwegian side, but I thought it does fit with Esm” okay.

Thanks for the suggestion on spelling, [name]Elena[/name]. I might actually consider that…Some other legitimate spelling variations Solvei and Solvej (which may be easier to get Sool-vai from), and I could change it to Solvai. Definitely something to think about. Thanks!

A huge thanks to all who suggested alternatives (and, of course, to the compliments as well)! A bunch of the suggestions were spot on - I love [name]Beatriz[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Clio[/name]/[name]Cleo[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], Sunniva, [name]Alma[/name] (although, [name]Alma[/name] and Esm” are a bit of a tongue twister), [name]Saskia[/name] (I like it pronounced the [name]German[/name] way: ZAHS-kee-uh), [name]Tullia[/name], [name]Zephyrine[/name], [name]Luna[/name], and [name]Carys[/name]. This gives me a huge list to think about and work off of.

Thanks again!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

I actually knew a woman named [name]Solveig[/name] when I was a child. She was originally from Finland and she pronounced it (sol-vague). I’m not too crazy about the “vague” ending but the name does goes well with your daughters names. Another Scandinavian name I like is Sunniva. What do you think of that choice? Best wishes!

I like it, but it would def. have pronunciation problems. I know a Solvae, is this a legit spelling? Apparently it means sun, she pronounces it sol-vay.

[name]Ah[/name], this is another problem with [name]Solveig[/name]. Since it is used in the Scandinavian countries plus about half a dozen other European countries, there ends up being multiple spellings and multiple pronunciations of the name based on each language’s differences. [name]Sol[/name]-vague is an interesting pronunciation…I actually like quite a few Finnish names, so maybe I should consider this…

Oooh, I do like Sunniva! My only worry is the nickname [name]Sunny[/name]. I really really don’t like it. I do like the nickname Niv (neev) however…I think it fits nicely with my daughters’ nicknames - [name]Maisy[/name], [name]Inga[/name], & Niv! Thanks for the suggestion.

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Hmmm, interesting. I have heard [name]Solveig[/name] pronounced sol-vay before, but I have never encountered that spelling. It could be totally legitimate though. It sounds pretty, but I unfortunately wouldn’t consider it with my daughter Esm”'s name ending in the same sound.

I am seriously considering changing the [name]Solveig[/name] spelling to maybe Solvei or Solvai or Solveigh - do you think either of those would earn the pronunciation sol-vai?

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

I always thought it was pronounced [name]Sol[/name]-vague, as mentioned by another poster. Behind The Name says it as “[name]Sol[/name]-Vay”, however.

As I was saying in another post, there are many different ways of pronouncing [name]Solveig[/name] depending on the country or language the pronunciation is coming from. I would personally pronounce it sool-vai (vai rhyming with my) because that’s how my grandmother told me it’s pronounced in Norway (where she lives). This is one of the problems with this name - it could be very confusing! :slight_smile: Thanks for your input.

• [name]Sydnee[/name]