Some interesting alternatives...

I follow the Times birth announcements here in the UK, and a couple of names have come up recently that I thought were interesting alternatives to more popular choices.

The first is [name]ARRAN[/name], which I think makes a handsome alternative to [name]Aaron[/name] (although some people would pronounce them in the same way). It’s a Scottish place name and I think fits well into the current [name]Aiden[/name]-inspired naming landscape.

The second is for girls, and is [name]OLIVA[/name]. I’m assuming you would pronounce it like the male [name]Oliver[/name], but I could be wrong (in fact, since Nameberry says it’s the Spanish version of [name]Olivia[/name] I think I definitely am wrong - Oh-lee-vah?). I think it makes rather a pretty alternative, but I’d worry that it looks like a typo.

I think I would use [name]Arran[/name], but would prefer [name]Livia[/name] or [name]Olave[/name] as alternatives to [name]Olivia[/name] (I’ve loved [name]Olave[/name] since I was a girl guide as [name]Olave[/name] [name]Baden[/name]-[name]Powell[/name] started girl guides with her husband).

What do you think?

Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of [name]Aaron[/name], and [name]Arran[/name] kind of reminds me of [name]Aryan[/name], which is not good…

As for [name]Oliva[/name], I’m with you that it looks like a typo and I’m not totally sure how to pronounce it. I prefer [name]Olivia[/name], even if it is popular, to all alternatives. However, I would be willing to substitute the name for something slightly different and more unique, namely [name]Ophelia[/name] or [name]Viola[/name].