Some questions about our name list

[name]Hi[/name] there :slight_smile:
We are seeking opinions on our short list of names for our first daughter. There are a few specific concerns we have about each which we would love so thoughts on. Also general thoughts on each of the names would be great too.

Also, we would love any boys name idea just in case doc is wrong and we get a boy or for future siblings (girls names are also welcome). We are keen to have more children and don’t want to limit future name choices with our first.

[name]Calla[/name]
Does [name]Calla[/name] sound incomplete to you? We can’t decide if it would be better as a nickname. Of course there is then the issue of what longer name to use as a full name- any ideas?
[name]Dulcie[/name]
Is this too cutesy or old-ladyish (I have had both reactions)
[name]Siri[/name]
Would it be mistaken for [name]Suri[/name]?
Would there be prenunciation issues?
[name]Delphi[/name]
Is this to nicknamey?
[name]Allegra[/name]
Allergy medicine aside, what do you think of this name?
[name]Clarissa[/name]
Does it sound too prissy and old-ladyish?
What possible nicknames are there?
[name]Marguerite[/name]
Is this too pretentious on a non French child?
Which nickname do you like best?

Sorry about the length and all the questions… even an aswer to a few would be greatly appriciated!
Thankyou so much :slight_smile:

I love [name]Calla[/name]. I like this better than all the other options you have. While I think it works fine as a name itself (no different than [name]Cara[/name]), I typically like more formal names that can be shortened to a more commonly used name. Longer options for [name]Calla[/name] include:

[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name]
Callais
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Calinda[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]

I also like [name]Allegra[/name], and while I think there is some concern about association with the medicine, I think that would only be a fleeting moment and then people would realize how pretty it is.

[name]Calla[/name]: I think this is super sweet and can definitely stand on its own. I would pair it with a three syllable middle name (if it doesn’t clash with your surname) to make it sound “complete.” [name]Calla[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] perhaps?

[name]Dulcie[/name]: This doesn’t feel like a real name to me. I would use this as a nickname.

[name]Siri[/name]: Not my style, so I don’t have an opinion really. I do think you would have pronunciation issues and confusion with [name]Suri[/name].

[name]Delphi[/name]: [name]Do[/name] you know about the oracle at [name]Delphi[/name] in ancient Greek culture? It’d be sort of an odd namesake.

[name]Allegra[/name]: I don’t like this.

[name]Clarissa[/name]: I like this. This would be my second choice for you.

[name]Marguerite[/name]: I would consider this pretentious on a non-French child. If you really like this I would use it as a middle name.

[name]Calla[/name] is not incomplete at all. Its very sweet.

[name]Dulcie[/name] sounds too nick namey but [name]Dulcinea[/name] is more complete.

[name]Siri[/name] is ok. It might get confused with [name]Suri[/name].

[name]Delphi[/name] sounds like a college.

[name]Allegra[/name] is pretty and sounds very wealthy.

[name]Clarissa[/name] sounds old and prudish but Ris is a cute nn.

[name]Marguerite[/name] is very french. Its a cool name. [name]Margo[/name] could be a cute nn.

Possible boy names I think work well is [name]Gage[/name], [name]Colin[/name], [name]Remy[/name], [name]Maine[/name], [name]Lance[/name], [name]Hyde[/name] and [name]Shane[/name].

[name]Calla[/name]
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Calla[/name]. [name]Just[/name] by itself. I think it sounds perfectly fine and complete.
[name]Dulcie[/name]
I think it’s a little too cutesy.
[name]Siri[/name]
It might be mistaken for [name]Suri[/name], but I don’t think it’ll be a huge issue. My main issue is that it sounds very nickname-y. I’m not quite sure what it would be a nickname for ([name]Sarai[/name] maybe?) but it doesn’t sound complete to me.
[name]Delphi[/name]
It sounds a bit incomplete- I want to add “ne” at the end. And it’s very Ancient-city sounding to me, it doesn’t really feel like a name.
[name]Allegra[/name]
Hm. I like it, but I think it may have been ruined by the allergy medicine.
[name]Clarissa[/name]
I don’t think it sounds Old-Ladyish, I think it’s more stuck in the 80’s with [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Marissa[/name], [name]Carissa[/name], [name]Larissa[/name], etc. But it’s not a bad name. If you love it, go ahead and use it- there’s nothing wrong with it. Nicknames (and some are a stretch) could be: [name]Claire[/name], [name]Clio[/name], [name]Rissa[/name], or [name]Lissa[/name].
[name]Marguerite[/name]
I think it’s fine on a non-French child. It definitely has a French vibe, but it’s not too much, I don’t think. It’s pretty familiar, but it might be weird if your last name is very ethnic, like Gonzalez, McMahon, or [name]Wong[/name].
My vote’s for [name]Calla[/name]. Good luck!

I think [name]Calla[/name] is beautiful by itself!
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Allegra[/name] - it’s on my list too!
My sister is named [name]Delphine[/name] and gets so many complements on her name. People call her [name]Del[/name] or just [name]Delphine[/name] (she is French).

[name]Calla[/name]
Does [name]Calla[/name] sound incomplete to you? I think that [name]Calista[/name] nn [name]Calla[/name] would be better

[name]Dulcie[/name]Some might find this a sweet name and it is but it also makes me think of someone who is a bit of a clinging vine.
I don’t think because a name ends in the ‘ee’ sound that it makes it cutesy it is vintage but vintage is cool.

[name]Siri[/name]
Would it be mistaken for [name]Suri[/name]? I don’t like this one and yes it is not that easy to say. I would prefer [name]Serena[/name]

[name]Delphi[/name]I think of the place I think [name]Delphine[/name] would be better, prettier, and definitely feminine nn of [name]Del[/name]

[name]Allegra[/name]

[name]Love[/name] this name, it is a very spunky choice and in [name]Oz[/name] we don’t have any issues with the medicine.

[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] is my combo

[name]Clarissa[/name] Yes it does have that old lady vibe but it is a sweet name but I would choose [name]Larissa[/name] nn [name]Lara[/name]. I think [name]Clara[/name] would be the obvious nn.

[name]Marguerite[/name]
Is this too pretentious on a non French child?

Absolutely not! It doesn’t need a nn but if you want one [name]Daisy[/name] would be perfect

My list of likes

[name]Allegra[/name] and [name]Marguerite[/name], but they are totally different styles if you are thinking further down the track when naming another baby.

My list based on yours

[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
Margurerite

Combos
[name]Calista[/name] [name]Jane[/name] sibling [name]Tahlia[/name] and [name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Serena[/name] [name]Willow[/name] sibling [name]Katrina[/name] and [name]William[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] sibling [name]Xanthe[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name] [name]Kate[/name] sibling [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] sibling [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Toby[/name] ([name]Tobias[/name])
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] sibling [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name]

1 Like

[name]Calla[/name] I love [name]Calla[/name]! It was the flower in our wedding
Does [name]Calla[/name] sound incomplete to you? No, I don’t think so. I do think [name]Calista[/name] nn [name]Calla[/name] is a little better, or you could use [name]Calla[/name] nn [name]Callie[/name]. I love the name [name]Calista[/name], though – it ages so well!
We can’t decide if it would be better as a nickname. Of course there is then the issue of what longer name to use as a full name- any ideas?
[name]Dulcie[/name]
Is this too cutesy or old-ladyish (I have had both reactions) I don’t think it is either to me, but it is a little nicknamey
[name]Siri[/name]
Would it be mistaken for [name]Suri[/name]? I adore [name]Siri[/name], but yes it is awfully close to the more familiar [name]Suri[/name] (familiar due to [name]Tom[/name] [name]Cruise[/name], not due to popularity)
Would there be prenunciation issues? no
[name]Delphi[/name]
Is this to nicknamey? I love [name]Delphi[/name]! But it does sound somewhat incomplete. [name]Delphine[/name] is such a lovely name – I would use that and have the great nickname [name]Delphi[/name]! [name]Delphine[/name] ages a little better, too
[name]Allegra[/name]
Allergy medicine aside, what do you think of this name? Unfortunately I can’t see past the allergy medicine…probably because I am surrounded by it where I work!
[name]Clarissa[/name]
Does it sound too prissy and old-ladyish? Quite the opposite for me. I don’t see it as old-ladyish or prissy at all. I love it much more than the alternatives ([name]Larissa[/name], [name]Melissa[/name]).
What possible nicknames are there? [name]Claire[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Lissa[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
Is this too pretentious on a non French child? I don’t think so. There are so many names that have crossed those borders that I don’t even bat an eye. There was a Korean boy named [name]Lars[/name] in my daughter’s preschool class (which to me is very Scandinavian, but it totally worked on him!) I think [name]Marguerite[/name] is beautiful, and I wouldn’t consider it pretentious. [name]Mara[/name], [name]Margo[/name], [name]Rita[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] are cute nicknames!
Which nickname do you like best? My favorite is [name]Margo[/name]

Thankyou for all the help :slight_smile:
My love for [name]Calla[/name] is starting to wear off, though my husband still loves it. I feel it would be better as a nickname, but I haven’t found a full name for it that I love.

Are there any other names that [name]Dulcie[/name] could be a nn for?

Does anyone have any suggestions of names we might like? Due date is getting closer and it just doesn’t feel like we have “the one” yet! :expressionless:

[name]Dulcie[/name] is a nn for [name]Dulcinea[/name] who was a female character in [name]Miguel[/name] de Cervantes’ novel “[name]Don[/name] [name]Quixote[/name]”. It would be a rare and somewhat exotic choice for a name but if you’re brave enough, choose it!