Some tests to see if a name works/is the one

Those are great!

Some other ones I think of:
*if I were introducing myself with that name, how would I feel?
*a college proffessor calling on someone with that name
*teaching a toddler to spell it (I still love some complicated names, but this is a fun one!)
*making the name into an email address and social media usernames

9 Likes

Ooh, these are really good! I’m always happy when my favorite names pass these tests, ha ha.

2 Likes

Announced at a graduation is one of mine too! Also as a birth announcement on Instagram, probably next to one of those boards with the birth information, because I’m basic like that haha.

Last one that’s more personal, I imagine it on the back of a jersey, like for my college’s football team or for one of the US National teams, when I’m attending a game with my kids. That’s honestly how I’ve come to feel more connected to my boy names.

4 Likes

Ooh, I didn’t think of Instagram. That’s a good one. I also love the jersey one - how sweet!

3 Likes

Personalized gifts is one for me, for both kids and adults, trying to imagine stuff they might use in everyday life.

2 Likes

I imagine someone introducing themself by that name.

1 Like

That’s how I “tested” my sons’ names: I imagine a boy or man introducing himself by that name in different situations (on the playground, in college, for a job interview etc.).

1 Like

I imagine introducing myself as “______'s mum” and see how it feels.

I also do the email Address/social media handles thing

2 Likes

How would I feel introducing myself with the name? (I don’t do “would I want this name” but rather would I feel cool/embarrassed/blasé/happy when introducing myself)

Could I imagine holding a newborn and saying hi ____? Does the idea of that feel natural?

When I say it out loud in a normal voice - imagine the context of doing homework or telling someone to go grab the scissors off the counter - does it feel normal? I also try to imagine myself at the grocery store, how would I feel calling for ____, a quick introduction when someone asks their name, etc.

Could I imagine it at the top of a paper/report/article?

Sometimes I’ll type out a little fake birthday/birth announcement post in my notes app to see how the name looks like that

3 Likes

I try to imagine how the name would work in a professional setting, perhaps as Dr. ___ lastname, or introducing yourself upon entering a job interview (Hello, I’m ____). Some names are cute for a child but wouldn’t work well in these settings.

1 Like

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name [name_u]Genie[/name_u] has a really good Baby Name Test Drive for sort of thing, you put in the first and last name and it gives you test phrases. One of the examples they use that I think is really helpful is: “[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Helena[/name_f] Last Name, spelled H-E-L-E-N-A”.

Another one that they use that I feel personally attacked by is “Mr. Last Name, if [name_f]Helena[/name_f] would consistently turn her homework in–on time–she would be one of my star pupils.”

4 Likes

I imagine calling out to them when they’re playing outside
I imagine them grown up and getting married. I try to picture their future spouse saying “I take x…”

1 Like

I often imagine a casual conversation at the park with another parent and telling them my child’s name. (This one I use specifically to imagine explaining a Finnish name to a random Scottish person - how comfortable would I be telling them the name? Is it easy to teach them to pronounce the name or would it turn into a longer conversation than it needed to be? It helps me figure out how practical a name feels to me.)

Also, telling ___ to put their shoes on and asking my wife to get _____’s socks (I don’t know why I always go for shoes & socks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

5 Likes

“Hello, this is your pilot ____”

“[name_m]Hi[/name_m] ____”

“And the [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] goes to ____”

Things like that.

4 Likes

I think about yelling it at a sporting event.
I try googling it to see if weird things pop up lol

1 Like

That’s what I continue to use for my test! Thank you to @rosepip for introducing me to it through your thread!

2 Likes

My tests…
-Calling the name across a playground
-Calling the name to come down for dinner
-Introducing myself casually ([name_m]Hi[/name_m] I’m X)
-Introducing my child (This is my son, X)
-Telling a hotel receptionist I have a reservation under the name
-Introducing myself at a job interview/business situation (Full name + handshake)
-Writing all our names like a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] card

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: That’s so sweet!

1 Like

I try to picture it on a [name_u]Bar[/name_u]/Bat Mitzvah invitation card, written on the inside of a kippah, and in a yearbook. If it feels out of place in any of those situations it probably won’t work for the way I want to raise my future kids.

2 Likes

I typically imagine introducing my child with the name or I picture it on a [name_f]Welcome[/name_f], [name_u]Baby[/name_u] card.

2 Likes