Sophie-Claire or Sophie-Jane?

See the results of this poll: Sophie-Claire or Sophie-Jane?

Respondents: 18 (This poll is closed)

• Sophie-Claire Isabelle: 13 (72%)
  • Sophie-Jane Isabelle: 5 (28%)

DEFINITELY [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]!
It’s a very pretty name, and the sounds balance each other. Plus, [name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] are both French, so it sounds like it fits together, and it has an exotic flaire to it. [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Jane[/name] has a cute sound, but it just feels mismatched (I think you could get away with it if [name]Sophie[/name] were the first name and [name]Jane[/name] the middle, but not as a hyphenated first name).

So the whole fact that some (I say some, b/c several of people told me that they had never thought of that until I mentioned it to them)people think it sounds like “Eclair” as in the donut, wouldn’t bother you?? Frankly it is starting to bother me a lot less, b/c we really love the name…

I voted for [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Jane[/name] .I like [name]Sophie[/name] and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jane[/name].I just think the name flows so well and looks well too.Good luck.

Definitely [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] too!! I thinkt that [name]Jane[/name] is too different from [name]Claire[/name]…

I have a really good friend named [name]Jane[/name], and I honestly suggest the name a lot on here, but I’ve recently decided that I absolutely hate the way it sounds out loud. I really think [name]Claire[/name], especially with that spelling, is absolutely beautiful! So, I vote [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]!

However, I think the entire name sounds a bit juvenile… I’m sorry!

No, I wouldn’t change the name over something silly like that. First of all, the dessert is usually pronounced like egg-clare, not EE-[name]Clare[/name], so it doesn’t even sound that much alike. And I don’t see kids purposely changing it to tease her (have you ever heard of someone being made fun of because their name sounds sort of like a pastry?) [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] is lovely and you should go for it! [name]Don[/name]'t give the eclaire thing another thought.

No problem, that’s why I am here to get advice/opinions. The fact that it may sound “juvenile” to some doesn’t bother me. My oldest daughter is named [name]Maggie[/name] and I heard that a lot about her name as well. She is now almost 16 and it has grown beautifully with her =0)

No problem, that’s why I am here to get advice/opinions. The fact that it may sound “juvenile” to some doesn’t bother me. My oldest daughter is named [name]Maggie[/name] and I heard that a lot about her name as well. She is now almost 16 and it has grown beautifully with her =0)[/quote]

I understand that some might think that [name]Maggie[/name] seems juvenile because it is a nickname, but, to me, [name]Maggie[/name] has a sort of elegance and sophistication, albeit a more “comfortable” sort, in and of itself. I can imagine [name]Maggie[/name] on a baby, a child, a teenager, a grown woman, and an old woman. [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] doesn’t seem to have this sophisticated sound - [name]Sophie[/name] sounds young to me…

I don’t know what attracts you to the name [name]Sophie[/name], but if you don’t mind, I will suggest some others that don’t sound as young to me. Obviously, these are just suggestions, and you should go with what you love in the end!

[name]Sarah[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Selma[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] (This sounds cute with your other daughter, [name]Kelsey[/name])
[name]Sylvie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]

Best wishes!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think what attracts us to [name]Sophie[/name], is the fact that to us it sounds old fashioned, but still classical and timeless. We did consider [name]Sarah[/name], but just really loved the sound of [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] and the meaning of it “wisdom, [name]Bright[/name]”.

No problem, that’s why I am here to get advice/opinions. The fact that it may sound “juvenile” to some doesn’t bother me. My oldest daughter is named [name]Maggie[/name] and I heard that a lot about her name as well. She is now almost 16 and it has grown beautifully with her =0)[/quote]

I understand that some might think that [name]Maggie[/name] seems juvenile because it is a nickname, but, to me, [name]Maggie[/name] has a sort of elegance and sophistication, albeit a more “comfortable” sort, in and of itself. I can imagine [name]Maggie[/name] on a baby, a child, a teenager, a grown woman, and an old woman. [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] doesn’t seem to have this sophisticated sound - [name]Sophie[/name] sounds young to me…

I don’t know what attracts you to the name [name]Sophie[/name], but if you don’t mind, I will suggest some others that don’t sound as young to me. Obviously, these are just suggestions, and you should go with what you love in the end!

[name]Sarah[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Selma[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] (This sounds cute with your other daughter, [name]Kelsey[/name])
[name]Sylvie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]

Best wishes![/quote]

It’s funny how people have different reactions to the same name. I agree with everything lemon says about [name]Maggie[/name], but I disagree about [name]Sophie[/name].
I find [name]Sophie[/name] to be a very mature name (in fact I almost think it’s strange on a small child, but I still like it and I think it works). Maybe that’s because I immediately think of “[name]Sophie[/name]'s Choice” and so it feels like a name of a woman who has been through life’s ups and downs.

In any event, I think [name]Sophie[/name] is a beatiful name that will age well.

I vote for [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]. Very beautiful!

I think that [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] is the cutest! :slight_smile:

I love them both! [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] sounds French and [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Jane[/name], English. However, if I were to vote for one (your poll has closed), I’d have to choose [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Jane[/name] because once you hear [name]Soph[/name]-Eclair, it’s hard not to keep hearing it.

Thanks for the votes and opinions!! We have decided to stay with [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] (the eclair thing is just not a “show stopper” for us, and we have a son named [name]Levi[/name]…so, we’re over it!) . Now we are looking for a middle name, I would [name]LOVE[/name] suggestions!! So far we have thought of [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Isabella[/name], but DH has now said, he doesn’t think [name]Isabella[/name] fits…
WDYT of [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Elise[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]??

[name]Even[/name] though it has the most syllables of your middle names under consideration, I like the rhythm of [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] best.

[name]Even[/name] though, my middle name is [name]Jane[/name], and my twin sister’s middle name is [name]Claire[/name]… I think you are making a perfect choice to go with [name]Claire[/name]! I think [name]Isabella[/name] flows best of those choices, but it would help to know first letter and how many syllables are in the surname.

I think [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] flows better and makes for better balance than [name]Elise[/name].

I like [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]. Very cute!

I like [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]. I am expecting a daughter in [name]April[/name], and I am going to name her [name]Claire[/name] [name]Madeline[/name], so I guess I am biased. I think it is a beautiful name.