Sophisticated FN meets Cute NN

Hello
I am working on generating a list of names for my little girl due early december. This is what I have so far… some i have put nn with others i just either cant think of a nn or just like the name to stand alone; and a few i like a nn, but can’t think of a sophisticated FN. Please give me your oppinons and ideas. P.S. Please no names starting with the letter E or I

[name]Matilda[/name] (tillie)
[name]Felicity[/name] (???)
[name]Juliette[/name] ([name]Jules[/name])
[name]Gwyneth[/name] ([name]Gwynn[/name])
[name]Madelaine[/name] ([name]Lainey[/name])
[name]Seraphina[/name] (Seri)
[name]Tallulah[/name] ([name]Tula[/name])
??? ([name]Gigi[/name])
??? ([name]Lola[/name])

[name]Gigi[/name]:

[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]

[name]Lola[/name]:

[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Dolores[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]

[name]Felicity[/name]:

Fliss
Lissy
Liss
[name]Flossie[/name]

[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tilly[/name], [name]Tilda[/name], [name]Millie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] nn [name]Flossie[/name]/[name]Flick[/name]/Lissy
[name]Juliette[/name] nn [name]Jules[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] nn [name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Madelaine[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name] nn Seri/[name]Fina[/name]/[name]Fifi[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name] nn [name]Tula[/name]/[name]Tally[/name]/[name]Lula[/name]

I like these names for:
[name]Gigi[/name]: [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], although any name begining with G would work… You could also get it by using names beginning with G for both first and middle name perhaps?
[name]Lola[/name]: [name]Dolores[/name] (the origin of nn [name]Lola[/name] I believe), [name]Lolita[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], Loana, [name]Lorelai[/name], [name]Loretta[/name] and Lovela

My favs are [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Tula[/name] but not sure about how sophisticated [name]Tallulah[/name] is…

[name]Fran[/name] x

[name]Felicity[/name] – [name]Lily[/name], [name]Fifi[/name]

In addition to starting her first and middle names with a “G” you could also use a name with a prominent “G” like [name]Regina[/name] or [name]Virginia[/name] for one of the names.

[name]Virginia[/name] nn [name]Gigi[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name]

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think my husband and I have narrowed it down to three… your thoughts please. P.S. Daughter’s first name is Esmee (Ez-may).
THANKS

[name]Matilda[/name] (tilda)
[name]Gwyneth[/name] ([name]Gwyn[/name])
[name]Seraphina[/name] ([name]Siri[/name])

With a feminine name like Esmee, I think you’ve got to go with a princess name for daughter two - so, I’d count [name]Matilda[/name] out. Yes, [name]Matilda[/name] is lovely, but it is also very vintage, and I could see her better with a sister called [name]Felicity[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name], whereas Esmee needs a sister with a bit more sass, like [name]Seraphina[/name]. [name]Gwyneth[/name] is cute with Esmee, too, but [name]Gwyn[/name] just isn’t my favorite - a G name like [name]Gisela[/name] or [name]Gwendolyn[/name] seems more fitting. So, off your list, I’d choose [name]Seraphina[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Matilda[/name] (tillie)
[name]Felicity[/name]- Flyss, I know someone who goes by that, super cute!
[name]Juliette[/name] - [name]Jules[/name] or [name]Lettie[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] - [name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Madelaine[/name] - [name]Maddy[/name], [name]Layne[/name], [name]Laney[/name],
[name]Seraphina[/name] - [name]Fina[/name], Seri
[name]Tallulah[/name] -[name]Tula[/name]
[name]Genevive[/name] - [name]Gigi[/name]

Magdelena- [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Mags[/name], [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Liberty[/name]- [name]Libby[/name], Libs
[name]Annika[/name]- [name]Anni[/name], [name]Nika[/name]
[name]Lynette[/name]- Lynnie
[name]Catherine[/name]- [name]Cat[/name]
[name]Frederica[/name]- [name]Freddy[/name]

[name]Mabel[/name]- [name]Mabs[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]- [name]Tansy[/name], [name]Tacy[/name]
[name]Tabatha[/name]- Tib

From your narrowed down list, I love [name]Gwyneth[/name] with Esmee! I agree with pp that although I like [name]Matilda[/name], it’s a little too heavy with Esmee. [name]IMO[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name] is too over the top. I would like [name]Serena[/name] nn Seri though.

I like [name]Gwyneth[/name] with Esmee as well; I love the nn Gwynnie! Try saying it out loud: it’s so cute, [name]IMO[/name]…:slight_smile:
Best,
L.

I would have to agree with [name]Lemon[/name].

I don’t know a single Esmee, so good job picking a very unique yet very feminine name. Same would go with [name]Seraphina[/name]. The only [name]Seraphina[/name] I have ever heard of is [name]Jen[/name]&[name]Ben[/name] Afflec’s daughter. [name]Gwyneth[/name]? I’ve heard that name used dozens of times. [name]IMO[/name], even though [name]Gwyneth[/name] sounds good with Esmee, the contrast in popularity makes them clash.

[name]Matilda[/name] ([name]Tillie[/name]) - I love the name [name]Matilda[/name] and ultimately, would consider using it for a daughter of my own. But I prefer the spelling [name]Mathilda[/name]. I don’t really like the nn [name]Tillie[/name]; I prefer [name]Mattie[/name], to be honest. Overall, not my favorite combination of FN + NN
[name]Felicity[/name] (???) - I’ve loved the name [name]Felicity[/name] ever since I received the American Girl [name]Doll[/name] for my eighth birthday. In that book series, [name]Felicity[/name] was always called [name]Lissie[/name] by her family and that is the nn that has stuck in my mind.
[name]Juliette[/name] ([name]Jules[/name]) - I absolutely adore the name [name]Juliette[/name], though I prefer the spelling [name]Juliet[/name]. And I think the nn [name]Jules[/name] is soooo cute! I would use this FN + NN combination in the snap of a finger.
[name]Gwyneth[/name] ([name]Gwynn[/name]) - [name]Gwyneth[/name] is not a favorite of mine and because of a personal issue, [name]Gwynn[/name] isn’t either.
[name]Madelaine[/name] ([name]Lainey[/name]) - I think [name]Madelaine[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name] is okay, but I think you would get ‘[name]Madeleine[/name]’ a lot, unless you introduced her as [name]Lainey[/name].
[name]Seraphina[/name] (Seri) - I like [name]Seraphina[/name] a lot, but Seri isn’t my favorite. I’d prefer [name]Sera[/name]. Overall, not my favorite.
[name]Tallulah[/name] ([name]Tula[/name]) - I love [name]Tallulah[/name], but just [name]Tallulah[/name]. No nicknames. And I personally can’t stand [name]Tula[/name]. It sounds like someone said ‘[name]Tallulah[/name]’ too fast and ‘[name]Tula[/name]’ is what is heard.
??? ([name]Gigi[/name]) - For [name]Gigi[/name], which I think is sort of cute, I would recommend [name]Genevieve[/name]. I love this solid French name and although I wouldn’t use it myself, I would definitely advise someone else to do so.
??? ([name]Lola[/name]) - I don’t really like the name [name]Lola[/name] and therefore, don’t think about it a lot. The only name I can think of off the top of my head is [name]Lourdes[/name], like [name]Madonna[/name]'s daughter, but you might not like that reference.

My fav would be [name]Seraphina[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] the name, the meaning and how it sounds with Esmee, but most of all, the nn [name]Siri[/name] is so so cute! I’d never thought of that for [name]Seraphina[/name] but I love it :slight_smile:

[name]Gwyneth[/name] sounds like an old lady name to me, perhaps because it mostly is here in the UK :S

And I adore [name]Matilda[/name] but agree it doesn’t quite have the sparkle of Esmee.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your help. I wish i could respond by announcing a name, but unfortunatly we just cannot commit. [name]Do[/name] you think we need to find new names or are we just overthinking the situation. We both love our first daughter’s name Esmee (ez-may) and we just can’t find anything we love as much. I guess to make matters more difficult we have to love the meaning with the name too. If you could please give me your thoughts on our name choices, but also suggest some of your favorites maybe it would help. Thank you soooo much

Short List

Gwyenth
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]

I love the name Esmee. The first name that came to mind was [name]Amelie[/name]. Its prn [name]Ah[/name]-meh-lee and it means energetic. I dont much care for [name]Seraphina[/name], as its remind me of bottled water (aquafina). [name]Matilda[/name] is cute and [name]Tillie[/name] is adorable, but maybe its just not elegant enough to go with Esmee. [name]Gwyneth[/name] is another good name, although I prefer [name]Gweneth[/name], the y is just hard for me to say. [name]Felicity[/name] is cute, and matches the elegant playfulness that Esmee has. It is def. my favorite off your list.

Others you might like:
[name]Elodie[/name]- prn ell-eh-dee. [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Dede[/name] would make a cute nn.
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]- nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Eveline[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Tula[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]

I adore Esmee! It has such an elegant, feminine feel but also retains simplicity, which I think is important. For this reason, I would choose [name]Gwyneth[/name]. It has a lovely nickname and doesn’t overshadow Esmee in frilliness or length.
[name]Seraphina[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] both feel too long and princess-y next to Esmee, especially [name]Seraphina[/name], although they’re both beautiful names. I also love [name]Matilda[/name] but it gives a very old-fashioned, vintage vibe and doesn’t work quite as well with Esmee, in my opinion.

Good luck! :slight_smile: