Soren/Sören/Søren pronounciation?

One of my best friends is pregnant at the moment and one of the names she’s loving at the moment is Soren/Sören/Søren. However, we think the name is pronounced differently here than in Scandinavian countries, and I happen to know that it even different per region within those countries. So my question is for Scandinavians specifically:
How would Soren/Sören/Søren (all versions) be pronounced in your country/region?

(I’d like to add, her grandma was Norwegian but died years ago so we can’t ask her)

I’m from [name_f]England[/name_f], and I’d pronounce it Soh-rin or Soh-ren

I’m Australian and say “soh-ren” (like if you put the “so” from “sock” with “wren”). :blush:

1 Like

The ø / ö comes close to rhyming with the ur in “blur” - not exactly but the closest sound I can think of; however, in [name_f]English[/name_f] I would pronounce it to sound like “sore” + en.

3 Likes

I’m American and I would say Sore-en (like the word sore, followed by the letter n)

Yes! I am from sweden and it is true that it is pronounced like the sound in Blur.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! So it’s basically [name_f]Suren[/name_f] (with the blur sound)? I’ll let her know 8D

The [name_m]Soren[/name_m] I knew pronounced it soh-ren (soh like sock)

I have a cousin with this name (in US). We pronounce it “SOAR-in”.

I’ve always said sur-EN/sore-EN (emphasis on second syllable)

I second this

American here, also pronounce it this way but it’s because I knew a Soren who pronounced it that way.

It’s a lovely name.

I’m Icelandic, and I pronounce [name_m]Sören[/name_m] and Søren as suh-ren, where uh rhymes with the u in murder, kind of. The ø is slightly longer than the ö though.
When it’s spelled [name_m]Soren[/name_m], I’d pronounce it sore-en.

2 Likes

Thank you so much !!

1 Like

We say Soh-ren in [name_f]France[/name_f] (spelling Soren) like in bOAt. We live next to germany where the name is spelled [name_m]Sören[/name_m] and pronounced like in wORld. Same pronunciation in Scandinavia but the spelling is Søren.

In [name_u]Germany[/name_u] I’ve only heard it with a [name_f]English[/name_f] Z sound in the beginning, though.