Sparrow?

The post asking about the name [name]Robin[/name] for a girl got me thinking:

[name]Robin[/name], [name]Wren[/name], [name]Lark[/name] etc as bird themed girls name.

Is [name]Sparrow[/name] absolutely ridiculous or silly? The more I say it out loud the more I really really like it.

I don’t know a lot about birds, but I would do at least some research if I was going to use a bird name (or any animal name) as a child’s name. Starlings for example are kind of a pest, but it would make a nice name. I think ostrich would not be a nice name. I like [name]Lark[/name], but I prefer [name]Larkin[/name] (I do not know what a [name]Larkin[/name] is, I think it’s a surname). [name]Robin[/name] is one of the first signs of [name]Spring[/name], that’s all I know about it, nice image, concise sort of name.

I don’t know anything about sparrows. I think it might be a cool name, if you liked [name]Johnny[/name] Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean etal. I’d do a little research and make sure sparrows aren’t some sort of jerk of the bird world, unless you are already a birder or have some birdhouses and are familiar with them. (I say this as a general rule for anyone who thinks they’ll pick a word name - what are all the meanings and behaviors of the thing). After that, I don’t see a problem with the sound of it, it’s kind of nice.

I discovered last year that sparrows are my favorite animal! Haha, I love them, so dang cute, playing in puddles of water and such. I love them because they’re so unappreciated, just because they’re brown and not colorful. They remind me of the way [name]Maud[/name] describes daisies in the movie [name]Harold[/name] and [name]Maud[/name]. Anyway, enough about my love for sparrows. I’ve wondered if [name]Sparrow[/name] could be a viable name (I mean, [name]Robin[/name] is a name, and robins aren’t even pretty). I think it could be really lovely as a middle name, possibly even a first. It’s a lovely sound… and what teasing potential is there, really, “[name]Sparrow[/name], like the bird?” “Did your parents name you after a bird?” Ok, to sum this up, if I were to read a name like, say, [name]Sparrow[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] in a birth announcement, I would think “Wow! What a cool name!”… so, basically, two thumbs up!

HeeHee… this post is funny now that [name]Nicole[/name] [name]Richie[/name] has decided to name her child [name]Sparrow[/name]. I wonder if that will make it spike in popularity!

LOL - I don’t even remember posting this in [name]July[/name]!!!

When I heard that [name]Nicole[/name] [name]Ritchie[/name] had named her son this, I thought “hmmm…strange”.

I can’t believe I suggested it - obviously ahead of my time :wink: Actually I really do like it for a girl but can’t get my head around it for a boy.

Anyway, I’m due on [name]Saturday[/name] 9/12 and this name never came up in my discussions with my husband, and now I would look like a total copy cat. Sigh.

[name]Nicole[/name] [name]Ritchie[/name]'s new son’s name is of course [name]Sparrow[/name]. I think it is a ridiculous name for anything other than a bird.

I think it’s really bad. If she had to use a bird name, couldn’t she have chosen something a bit stronger and more masculine sounding like Kestrel or [name]Falcon[/name] or maybe [name]Phoenix[/name]?

I love this name! I love [name]Nicoles[/name] choice once again for her baby, My only dislike is the use of [name]Midnight[/name] next to [name]Madden[/name]… reminds me of ‘[name]Midnight[/name] Madness’…[name]Sparrow[/name] [name]Midnight[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Madden[/name] is better.
But, once again, I think [name]Nicole[/name] & [name]Joel[/name] nailed it!

[name]Larkin[/name] is a medieval diminutive (nickname) meaning little [name]Lark[/name].

I grew up in a total hippie small town and yes I have met an adult woman named Swallow…and her daughter [name]Tarot[/name]…

I personally wouldn’t use [name]Sparrow[/name]. It does remind me of [name]Jack[/name] [name]Sparrow[/name]. The fact that it is a birds name is nice. Like [name]Karen[/name] said I’d research the bird/animal first. However I like the name [name]Raven[/name] but they are a bit infamous. I discovered [name]Linnet[/name] is a sweet little bird and think [name]Linnet[/name] would make a nice name.

In case anyone is curious about what other birds are out there.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/NetCommunity/[name]Page[/name].aspx?pid=1189

While I love swallows, the birds, the name Swallow for a woman raises all sorts of potential problems…sorry but my mind is always half in the gutter…