Special diet Berries

Thank you, @luneth, for posting this. While I was raised omnivore, I find more and more that most meats are not what they used to be for me and I don’t want to eat them anymore.

I tried to go vegetarian in university, but I got sick because of my health condition. Also, when I told my family, the first thing they did was take me out to an almost all meat restaurant … there was only one vegetarian dish on the menu.

Now, with my body turned off most meat (more like repulsed by and/or rejects most meats), I am eating more plant based foods than anything. Unfortunately I can’t go vegetarian, but I am moving toward pescatarian (seafood being the only “meat” I can take I without feeling I’ll or disgusted while eating). While I’m living with family, I’m still eating a bit of other meats as it’s inescapable here. I am limiting my intake though. I will make a final step when I move back out.

I also have the added complication of being allergic to a lot of our food in the US due to a chemical that is added to our harvested food here. Due to this, I also have to eat organic by US standards (the rest of the world has a zero tolerance for this chemical in food).

All this to say that, while I haven’t been pregnant yet, I do worry about these exact same things. I’m thrilled that you posted this, @luneth, because I wanted to get some answers too, but have no one in my life to ask. Thank you to everyone else for giving the different viewpoints on this topic matter.

2 Likes

I thought I already replied to this. :sweat_smile:

Wow 10, it’s awesome that you chose it at such a young age and stuck with it. I also don’t have kids yet, but I find these conversations interesting. I never tried to be vegan (vegetarian isn’t always easy where I live, would be much much harder without dairy and eggs). I respect people who always consider environmental impacts when buying their food, I know it couldn’t be always easy!

1 Like

Hahaha the family part sounds kinda familiar. [name_f]My[/name_f] family actually eats plenty of veggie food as well, but they occasionally eat meat. [name_m]Even[/name_m] after many many years of being vegetarian my parents still offer me meat sometimes and says “it’s okay to eat it from time to time.” :joy:

Did your body reject most meat after some time trying vegetarian? [name_u]Or[/name_u] not? Pescetarian is a great goal as well. Really, choose the best for you and your body.
I’m not in the US so I’m not sure about what chemical is added, but I’m glad you have organic options.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear this thread is useful for you too! :slight_smile:

Oh, but Barnabas is picky with everything. I just mentioned meat specifically because that’s what you asked about. Food textures are a big problem for him. Ever since we noticed this was going to be a huge problem we started making a literal list of things he likes and hates, that’s hanging on our fridge. That way it’s easier for my husband and me to remember, and both my oldest son and my brother know what to (not) give to Barnabas (my brother lives with us and is essentially their third parent, but because we don’t share a kitchen he isn’t always “up-to-date” on Barnabas’ food problems).

Aaah I see, that’s really a challenge then. A list on the fridge sounds like an excellent trick. Fingers crossed the likes list will grow more over time.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] body has the tendency to reject all food sporadically for short periods of time (I can’t eat much if anything during this time). Unfortunately, in the case of most types of meat, I find that I am suddenly disgusted by or have a lack of desire to eat it – and my body tends to reject it more so and have worse side effects when I do. Such as bacon. I have loved eating it since I was a young child. On two different occasions recently, when I had some, I found it had lost its appeal to me and actually disgusted me. I stopped eating it for a while before trying to eat some again only to find that I still couldn’t stomach it.

Here in the US, as opposed to the rest of the world, there is a max limit for chemicals (such as pesticides) that can be on harvested foods such as wheat… throughout the rest of the world there is a zero tolerance policy. I can eat non-organic wheat from the rest of the world, but not from my own country :cry:.

1 Like