Spelling: Birdie or Byrdie

Despite the strong reactions to the name (both positive and negative), we’ve decided to name our baby girl [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. :crazy_face::heart_eyes:

And I don’t usually love alternative spellings to classic names, but we are consider [name_f]Byrdie[/name_f] as an alternate spelling.

Should we stick with the classic spelling or give it a more modern twist? Thoughts?

I definitely prefer [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. In that spelling, it’s super quirky and whimsical but on the right side of established to be a fun, fresh, sweet vintage choice. [name_f]Byrdie[/name_f] pushes it into gimmicky territory for me, I’m afraid. But [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] I love! :bird:

8 Likes

Thank you, This was helpful!

I prefer [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]! I like the “bird” part, it gives nice imagery of birds, whereas “byrd” doesn’t give me the same feeling.

3 Likes

I’d stick with the classic. It looks better to me and will be easier to wear. [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is cute!

3 Likes

Another vote for [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] for all the comments given already!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. Call me an [name_f]English[/name_f] teacher, but I like good spelling.

Looks like it’s BIRDIE for the win!

1 Like

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] 101%.

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is such a fabulous combination of whimsical nature imagery with vintage charm and spunk! I definitely prefer this spelling :yellow_heart: I’d be so thrilled to meet a little [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is already a bold enough choice without adding the y. [name_f]Byrdie[/name_f] seems like a smoosh of several different trends - vintage names, diminutives, X-factor - to the point that it almost feels like a clash between them. Personally, if you love [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], I would stick with that spelling rather than modernizing.

1 Like

Ya’ll have convinced me! Her sister’s name is [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] and I think we will stick with the classic! THANK YOU!

7 Likes

Oh goodness, a sibset of Elsie and Birdie?? I love it!! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] & [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is TOO sweet! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is so sweet and vintage. It’s an established name whereas [name_f]Byrdie[/name_f] is not. I prefer [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. Great choice!

I vote [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] too

I prefer the classic [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] spelling.

Another vote for [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]!

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]!

[name_f]Byrdie[/name_f] feels like it would be pronounced BY-ER-DEE. [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] for the win!