Spelling disagreement

So we have decided should this baby be a boy (we will see on Friday!) to name him [name]Ari[/name] [name]Judah[/name] [name]West[/name]. This name encompasses all we are looking for:

*A nod to our Jewish roots
*Initials that will/can be used as a nickname should he prefer it
*We both agree on it!

Sounds great right? This weekend we ran into out [name]Rabbi[/name]'s family coming from his daughter’s soccer game. Her name is [name]Auriella[/name]. They had shortened her name on her jersey to “ari”

DH leans over to me and asks how we are planning on spellin our son’s name. “Jut like that” “Okay” he says but I can see the wheels turning. Last evening we were at an event and one of the speakers was a [name]Rabbi[/name] named [name]Ari[/name] spelled [name]Aryeh[/name]. Over leans Dh “We could spell it like that”

Why yes we could spell it like that but I am sure we would (think of school time) be constantly asked what his name is or constantly dealing with mis-spellings. I think the name looks lovely either way but should we stick with the simpler spelling to avoid problems in the future?

*I believe if we were in an area where Hebrew was more prevelant/common we might not have as much trouble but that is not they case and I think that is the root of my concern.

congratulations, best wishes for a safe and smooth delivery!

when i saw aryeh, i pronouned it like aria (ar-ee-uh). I think [name]Ari[/name] is a wonderful name and spelling it a complicated way takes away from it’s appeal. I’d stick with simple [name]Ari[/name]!

I would stick with [name]Ari[/name]. [name]Ari[/name] to me is totally a boys names i know a few [name]Ari[/name]'s ad think the name is great. Tell your hubby that auriella and such names r very uncommon so i dont think it will be a problem.

Please spell as [name]Ari[/name] it is so not the same name spelt the other way.

[name]Aryeh[/name] looks like a feminine spelling to me, though I know it wasn’t used in that contect. I’d stick with [name]Ari[/name], much cleaner and simpler.

I love [name]Ari[/name] spelled [name]Ari[/name], and every [name]Ari[/name] I’ve ever known has used this spelling. I know of a [name]Rabbi[/name] with the first name [name]Aryeh[/name], and he pronounces his name “Ahr-ee-eh,” with three syllables, so to me, [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Aryeh[/name] are completely different names.

I think that [name]Ari[/name] [name]Judah[/name] is a wonderful, handsome name!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ahri ? Aari ? [name]Ari[/name] ? Aree? Arey? goodluck and all the best :slight_smile:

Agreed [name]Ari[/name] is the way to go. The other spelling would throw me off. I wonder why they didn’t nn her Auri instead of [name]Ari[/name]?

There are a few girls names that might shorten to [name]Ari[/name], and it is this case here. Ask him if he knows anyone named [name]Chris[/name], or of any girls or women with boyish nicknames like [name]Alex[/name] or [name]Bobbie[/name] or so on and so on and if that would change his mind about using a boy’s name for a boy.

I think [name]Ari[/name] is a good boy’s name! Congratulations!

I like [name]Ari[/name]! I think you should stick with that spelling to avoid confusion. Also, I think that [name]Ari[/name] is a masculine name.
When parents of little girls use [name]Ari[/name] as a nn for [name]Auriella[/name] or [name]Aurelia[/name], it is like using [name]Sam[/name] as a nn for [name]Samantha[/name] or [name]Joey[/name] as a nn for [name]Josephine[/name]. Its supposed to be a boyish name as a nn for a long pretty girls name. I don’t think that this should keep parents from naming their boys [name]Sam[/name], [name]Joey[/name] or [name]Ari[/name]! They’re still great names for boys!

I agree with everyone above…I really think that a spelling other than “[name]Ari[/name]” would cause confusion…not necessarily a bad thing, but since the [name]Ari[/name] spelling is so appealing, I don’t see a reason to change it. It’s a great name!