Spelling for Fiona’s Nickname

Hello! My daughters name is [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and we have been calling her (Fi) ([name_u]Fee[/name_u]) BUT when writing her name I am stuck in which way to spell it. Which way would you and please tell me why? Thank you!

I’d go with Fi - it easily ties it back to the first letters of [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

I second the spelling “Fi” because it looks like a nn for [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

Thanks. I’ve had a bit of name regret due to sooooooo many shrek comments that I’m desperate for a nickname that looks and sounds more like a name. I feel like [name_u]Fee[/name_u] looks more like a real name but I understand Fi matches the name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] more. Any other nickname options that are usable? I was close to changing her name at 2 months due to all the comments on shrek and chickened out but now that Shrek 5 is coming out soon I’m doomed to hear it even more ”:frowning:

I think [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is a beautiful name and I know several who are my age (high school)

I think Fi and [name_u]Fee[/name_u] work equally well! My personal preference would be Fi, but it is completely up to you.

Other suggestions ~

[name_f]Fia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ona[/name_f]
[name_m]Fin[/name_m]
[name_f]Nona[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_m]Fio[/name_m]
[name_f]Fina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is a lovely name. I don’t think the association to shrek is bad either, the character is a strong-willed, smart, beautiful princess. The name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] also has a beautiful meaning of “white, fair” and derives from the meaning “[name_m]Vine[/name_m]”.

Another nickname option is [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], but I like Fi too (Its more connected to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]). [name_u]Fee[/name_u] takes you farther away from [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], and I think you’ll have to keep reminding others how to spell it.

I would go with the simple, intuitive Fi. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is a gorgeous name!

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is a really lovely name - so sweet and ladylike! I find [name_u]Fee[/name_u] the most intuitive spelling for the nickname, since Fi looks to me as though it would be pronounced like the word “fie”.

I agree with @kew, [name_u]Fee[/name_u] feels more intuitive for the way you’re pronouncing it, with Fi I’d also want to say “fie” (rhymes with lie).

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is gorgeous! I am Team [name_u]Fee[/name_u]—Fi makes me want to say fye, like “semper fi”!

I’ve heard of [name_f]Effie[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], and [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as nicknames for [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] (or even [name_f]Fina[/name_f] or [name_f]Ina[/name_f] or [name_f]Iona[/name_f]/[name_f]Ione[/name_f]?) if you’re looking for something besides Fi/[name_u]Fee[/name_u]. ([name_f]Fifi[/name_f] is also cute for a little one!)

Good luck!

Fi looks like it matches better, and [name_u]Fee[/name_u] is worse in that it’s also a word.

Thank you for the compliments on her name. Name regret is a difficult feeling to live with. She is so beautiful and sweet and the last thing I want for her is to be set up for teasing. There seems to be a mix for Fi and [name_u]Fee[/name_u]. I love the sound of the nickname but feel so torn on the spelling still.

Our daughter is named [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], and we spell her nickname Fi. Most people get it when they read it :blush: I’ve only ever gotten one comment from someone who wondered if it was said like “FIve”

thank you :slight_smile:

I think both Fi and [name_u]Fee[/name_u] work fine as spellings, but I’d probably use Fi. I just want to say that [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is one of my top 3 favorite names of all time, I think it’s beautiful, what a great choice! I imagine the Shrek comments can be annoying but don’t forget that the character is awesome–she exemplifies the idea that girls don’t have to be pretty/skinny/white/etc princesses to be valuable and thrive in their communities. Her character is a strong, relatable role model for girls, and any girl would be lucky to share her name! Plus, it’s nearly impossible to find a name that doesn’t have some kind of meaning to someone else anyway, whether by movie/cultural associations or personal associations. I wouldn’t change her name over it.

Personally I love the nickname [name_f]Effie[/name_f] (or [name_f]Effy[/name_f]) for [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. It feels like a real name and is very sweet!

[name_f]Effie[/name_f] is cute! Her siblings call her [name_f]Nona[/name_f] but it means grandma in Italian and I am Italian so it feels funny to me. My name is [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and I’ve been called stephy growing up so that is kind of a cute connection to [name_f]Effie[/name_f]. Her middle name is [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] I’ve even thought of [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] but it doesn’t feel right. Honestly I do love her name but people can be so rude. Laughing as if it’s a joke that I named her that!! Others [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it so it goes both ways ”. My other kids are [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

As a mom to a [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], I feel your pain.

Try not to let the comments bother you. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is a beautiful name with plenty of associations aside from Shrek. Remind yourself and others about the reason you chose it. (My standard response when asked “after [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?” is “In part, but not entirely.” And if the person seems at all interested, I’ll elaborate.)

In answer to your question, I would use the [name_u]Fee[/name_u] spelling when written, even though it’s not intuitive. It’s not any more complicated, it looks like a name, and the Fi spelling reads with a long “i” sound to me.

I think [name_u]Fee[/name_u] looks more like a name too. Fi just looks weird to me although it is the first two letters of her name. [name_u]Fee[/name_u] is a word too though. I’ve been a bit rude to people when they make that comment. I’m a teacher and just returned after my mat leave so you can imagine all the kids and staff running to me asking what I had and what name I chose. And kids know the movie well so it’s the first thing they say. Not kidding I counted 37 people said oh from Shrek!!! I went home and cried.

I prefer “Fi” because it just fits with the look of the name…