Spelling of Cee-la/See-la?

How would you spell the name pronounced Cee-la ?
Would love to honor my grandmother who is no longer with us. Her name was Sheila.
I’m looking for the correct spelling of a name that I feel like is real…or should be lol.
Pronounced Cee- la or See- la.
Instead of She- la.
Would love the nickname CeCe
Does this name exist? I would like if it could start with a C but if the name already exists with an S I would go with that.

1 Like

Selah or Sela! (Selah also uses almost all the same letters just reordered which makes it even better here)

1 Like

I thought [name_f]Selah[/name_f] was pronounced See-la but I keep seeing it as Say-la when I look it up…so I’m just trying to find the best way that will get the least amount of confusion.

1 Like

I totally understand - if it helps, the [name_f]Selah[/name_f] I know pronounces it see-la

4 Likes

I think Cela, Cila, Ceila, Sila, Seila all work.
I think my favourites are Cila and Sila (these one are definitely real names) because they’re easy to remember, but I also like the look of Cela.

1 Like

@Kaitlanderson I think it can be said either way? :slight_smile: [name_f]Sela[/name_f] or [name_f]Selah[/name_f] looks best but I guess [name_f]Cela[/name_f] (from Celia?) or Cila (from Cecilia)

1 Like

Cela or Ceila seem like they would work well! Or you could go with the name Celia (see-lee-a) instead of you also like that one

2 Likes

[name_f]Selah[/name_f] is most often pronounced Seh-lah with a short e.

For a longer sound, a double ee is probably your best bet (at least in the US) so maybe [name_f]Seela[/name_f]?

1 Like

Cila or [name_f]Selah[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Sela[/name_f].

I pronounce [name_f]Selah[/name_f] as say-la.

1 Like

I would pronounce Ceila the way you want.

(I also pronounce Sela/Selah as seh-lah or say-lah)

[name_f]Selah[/name_f] is how I would spell it! I have heard this name (Selah) pronounced as Say-luh or Sell-uh, but the way [name_f]Selah[/name_f] is pronounced in the town of [name_f]Selah[/name_f], [name_m]Washington[/name_m] is Cee-la.

1 Like

I would never pronounce [name_f]Selah[/name_f] like See-lah. So for me I’d suggest:

Ceila or Seelah

[name_f]Selah[/name_f] was my first thought.

[name_f]Selah[/name_f] has always been say-lah for me, but the spelling is beautiful. What about [name_f]Sila[/name_f] though? I found a couple names that seem to have this spelling, on Thai, one Turkish… I think this is the spelling I would use? There’s also Cila which is a Portuguese diminutive of [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], apparently. [name_f]Sheila[/name_f] is a Gaelic form of [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], too, which makes that spelling potentially even more special? I like the option of [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] nn Cila/CeCe for you… or even just Cila, but [name_f]Sila[/name_f] works well too imo.

Good luck!

1 Like

[name_f]Sila[/name_f] would be the closest pronunciation for me.

1 Like

[name_f]Celia[/name_f]

I would do [name_f]Sela[/name_f] for that pronunciation!

Is Celah too weird of a suggestion? I see a few comments suggesting [name_f]Selah[/name_f] (which I love) but I always pronouce as Say-la. If you replaced the S with a C people might be more apt to say Cee-la

Other suggestions I could see working

Ceala
Ceila
[name_f]Cela[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f] (not the pronunciation but is well known)
[name_f]Cella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ciela[/name_f]
Cila
Seala
Seila
[name_f]Sela[/name_f]
Siela

If you’re wanting to honour your grandma most I think Seila works best because it’s just [name_f]Shelia[/name_f] without the H. Ceila would be my 2nd choice because I think this spelling would help get the Cee-la prononciation. Spelt like Ceiling, they both have that Cee sound to start

2 Likes

[name_f]Selah[/name_f].