Spelling?

[name]Hi[/name], I’m brand new here and looking for name advice. I am pregnant, due in [name]July[/name], with a little girl. My husband and I have had a terrible time coming up with names we agree on. One that we both like is [name]Hattie[/name]. The problem is, DH thinks that people will pronounce the t’s too harshly and so he prefers the spelling Haddie. I think that everyone will assume the spelling is [name]Hattie[/name] and will constantly misspell it if we choose to spell it with d’s. Opinions?

I think most people will recognize the name [name]Hattie[/name] and pronounce it like Haddie. If you’re in the US most people here under-enunciate their "t"s anyway (water become wah-der, betting and bedding are said the same way, little becomes lid-el, etc). Most people will spell it [name]Hattie[/name] as well, since it is the traditional spelling. So, I think in general the “t” spelling is a better bet. That being said, I think both [name]Hattie[/name] and Haddie work better as nicknames of a longer name. [name]Hattie[/name] to me is a cute and fun but not grown up/serious at all. If you like the Haddie spelling you could go for a longer name like [name]Hadley[/name]. The [name]Hattie[/name] spelling has more possibilities, such as [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Henrietta[/name].

I agree with freckles.

[name]Hattie[/name] is adorable! Most people will recognize how to pronounce it. What is the middle name you have picked out?

I know this isn’t your question so I apologize in advance, but there was a thread on here recently about [name]Hattie[/name]. It’s a lovely name, but general consensus was that “[name]Hattie[/name]” by itself was less ideal than FN “[name]Harriet[/name]” or similar with NN [name]Hattie[/name] – (discussion centered around the idea of “diminutives” and not preempting your girl’s strength and confidence by giving her a little girl’s name for life – have a look for it).

Anyway, my point being, depending what FN you go with, it’ll make it easier to determine the [name]Hattie[/name] / [name]Heddie[/name] spelling. Your options are a bit iffy – [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name] v [name]Hedwig[/name] or [name]Hedda[/name], but it’ll make your decision easier regarding the spelling.

People (in the US) will mosty pn [name]Hattie[/name] and Haddie about the same. I prefer [name]Hadley[/name] nn Haddie as opposed to [name]Hattie[/name]/Haddie as a fn alone. I agree w/ previous post about little girl names, some don’t age well, BUT I think this one wears well at ages 1, 15, still at 21, and 50-70. (Super cute but, maybe not very adult sounding at 30 or 40, but then really sweet later in old age). Not bad, I’d say :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] a thought, but if you like the sound of Haddie, why not go with [name]Maddie[/name]? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about the spelling.
You could even use [name]Madalyn[/name] with [name]Maddie[/name] as a nn?
Or [name]Maddison[/name]?

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think my husband finally sees the light as far as this name is concerned :slight_smile: As far as the middle name goes, we haven’t even discussed it yet. Choosing the first name is proving to be hard enough.

[name]Hi[/name]!

Like others have said, most people - at least Americans - go light on the T sound and pronounce it more as a D anyway, so you shouldn’t have trouble with [name]Hattie[/name] here! It might be different in a country like [name]Britain[/name], where people tend to enunciate their T sounds, well, better, but you are safe in the US!

Here’s how it is likely to be said (http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/[name]Hattie[/name]) - not a harsh T sound, but not a solid D, either. Perfectly in the middle!

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: