Spencer...for a girl?

I came across a show with a girl named [name]Spencer[/name], and I fell in [name]LOVE[/name]! I immediately added it to our list for our baby girl. However, my husband wants her to have a “girly” nickname to contrast the fact that [name]Spencer[/name] is considered a boy name. I love girly names - our top two right now are [name]Elodie[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name], so I would love to find a nickname for [name]Spencer[/name] that follows the girlyness as well. Please help!

If you’re talking about the show Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars, I love it, too! Except I’m kind of in love with the name [name]Aria[/name] a bit more.

Anyways, nicknames… I could only really think of [name]Penny[/name] as the most feminine nickname. There’s also [name]Spence[/name], [name]Pen[/name], Spin, Spinny…

I think [name]Penny[/name] is a good suggestion, two that are a bit of a stretch, [name]Cera[/name] & [name]Enna[/name]

You seem to have conflicting intentions. It sounds as though you are drawn to [name]Spencer[/name] because its girliness lies in the irony – it is a boy’s name. But you also like girly names, so you think maybe you can change it. But if you change [name]Spencer[/name] to a girly name – then won’t it have lost what originally drew you to the name? Why not just go with one of the great girly names you have already picked out? [name]Just[/name] wondering.
I like boys’ names for girl, and the right girl can make them a very sexy, girly-girl choice. I have friend [name]Hank[/name] ([name]Henrietta[/name]) who has defined that name for me and now no one else can ever have it. She has delicate bones, huge blue eyes, and pale skin with dark hair. Now that is [name]HANK[/name] has it should be done!
Maybe what drew you to [name]Spencer[/name] was seeing it as the [name]Sam[/name] of its day. Which it probably will be. But I don’t know if you should try to change it to something girly.

1 Like

Yes, Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars! I like [name]Aria[/name] as well, especially as a nickname for [name]Ariana[/name].

We are not trying to change [name]Spencer[/name] to a girly name. My husband would like to find a girly nickname for her, in case she grows up to not like the boyish aspect of her full name. We aren’t looking for a name to use in place of [name]Spencer[/name], we’re looking for a nickname to use on occasion. Thank you for your input though :slight_smile:

[name_u]Pennie[/name_u] would work.

I love [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] for a girl!!! [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is a cute unexpected nn.

I think [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is probably your best option for a girly nickname. A teeny bit of a stretch, but you can still see where it’s coming from. I think that having a more feminine nickname to fall back on is a great plan when using a name that’s more traditionally masculine. [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is such a sweet name too, I love it.

I would use a classic feminine middle name that has a lot of nickname possibilities with the first name, [name_u]Spencer[/name_u]. That way, if your daughter ever wanted to, she could go by her middle name or a version of it. For example:

[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]- S. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Lise[/name_f], [name_f]Liesl[/name_f]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]- S. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]- S. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Meg[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f]