Spunky name for a female GSP puppy.

Hi!

This just came up today but there’s a chance we may be adding another puppy to our family so I thought I’d entertain the idea of names.

The puppy is a female German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP). They’re a very high energy hunting breed.

She will probably look like this full grown. MAY TAKE A MINUTE TO LOAD JUST SWITCH TABS THEN SWITCH BACK

So what do you think? What would you name her?

We’ve thought of Willa or Calla so far but not quite sure yet. We want something really spunky and sweet but nothing too common like Molly.

Yay puppies! I came over to check it out as per your request.
For dogs names it’s best to keep them one or two syllables for training and shouting purposes.

[name_u]Keeva[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_u]Fennel[/name_u]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f](I don’t know why but the photo made me think [name_f]Ruth[/name_f])
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]

Hurray! We, too, are considering adopting another doggo before we begin TTC our second kiddo.

My sister (used my #1 girls’ name and) called her solid black GSP [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. I’m obviously biased but I think that’s a great short, sweet, spunky option.

Friends named their rescue mutt who looks and acts part-GSP (so speckled, so high-energy) [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].

I also like [name_f]Betty[/name_f]/[name_f]Bessie[/name_f], [name_f]Franny[/name_f], [name_f]Marla[/name_f], [name_f]Joanie[/name_f]/[name_f]Joni[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and [name_f]Anita[/name_f].

Not gonna lie, most of these names are crossovers from my list for my future goat herd. Goats are every bit as a spunky and energetic as pups, ha.

This is the very gentlest word of caution: if you have any doubts at all about your ability to give a young dog the training, exercise, and other attention s/he will need when you have a new little one in your family too, it’s worth waiting. In the weeks after our son was born, our six-year-old American bulldog was diagnosed with aggressive lymphoma in her neck, and we began treatment, but it was not enough, and we had to put her down shortly after our baby’s 2-month birthday. We were so overwhelmed adjusting to new parenthood and caring for, and then grieving one ailing dog, that our younger dog got the short end of the stick. He still does, to be totally honest: we used to hike or run with him an average of an hour and a half each day, but we have to work hard to get out for even a quick walk in the morning and the evening now. He’s also pretty lonesome without a dog buddy at home, which I think is made worse by the fact that my LO takes up a lot more of my attention. He started having behavioral issues because he was so lonely, bored, and wound-up. Things are getting better now that we’re taking him to training and making sure to get him out more (and setting up dog play-dates) but adding a baby is a massive adjustment for all human and animal family members. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it (that would be a tad hypocritical, eh?), but I am saying a high-energy dog can’t very well burn off that energy by herself when you’re stuck under a newborn who just wants to nurse 'round the clock for the first three months!

Kibby: Thank so much. I really appreciate it. I like [name_u]Keeva[/name_u] and [name_u]Fennel[/name_u]. Unfortunately DH is not really keen on any of them.

Seedsandstones: I’m already getting excited! [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] were already vetoed by DH, meh. We actually already have another GSP so this would be our second. We know how much exercise and attention they require and we’re thinking having a buddy would be even better for him. Thank you so much for the word of caution though. It’s extremely important and should be considered especially so with [name_m]German[/name_m] Shorthairs!

DH and I are really liking [name_f]Etta[/name_f]. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Out of curiosity, do you care if this new pup’s name goes with your older dog’s? Are you more inclined toward projecting a sibling or romantic relationship on your dogs? (My partner’s first dogs were aka each other’s “Mr.” and “Mrs.”). [name_f]Etta[/name_f] is spot-on - but is it a nickname you’d want to save for a baby [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]? I noticed a few of my earlier suggestions were too close to some of the names in your sig. Perhaps you’d also like [name_u]Edi[/name_u]/[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Selma[/name_f] or [name_f]Selah[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f]/[name_f]Margot[/name_f]?

Our older dogs name starts with T so I’m trying to avoid T names. I’m not looking to do any theme or anything matchy. My signature is actually just combos I like coming up with for NB, so no we won’t be using any on human babies. DH is only liking [name_f]Etta[/name_f] so far so that might stick… I had suggested [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] but he wasn’t sold. Thanks so much!

[name_f]Etta[/name_f] seems like the right name, then! I’m kinda bummed that the names in your sig are not the names on your baby name list, but also so curious about the names you would actually use for a son or daughter.

[name_f]Etta[/name_f] is great!

I’d suggest [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Sheba[/name_f], [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Leda[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], Sephy, [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_u]Zola[/name_u], [name_u]Shura[/name_u], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Delta[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], Shola, [name_u]Vega[/name_u], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Effie[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], Inca, [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f] or [name_f]Iona[/name_f]

My own set aside picks for the next dog are [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] for a boy or [name_f]Nora[/name_f] for a girl