"Stacking" baby names, in case you don't get to use the name for a later child

My husband and I are TTC, and I am going through a ton of naming ideas (don’t know if will have a girl or boy obviously), but if we have a girl for instance, I’m feeling compelled to “stack” all my favorite names (first name, two middle names), but what if we have another girl down the road and I want to use one of those middle names as a first…does anyone else struggle with this?

For instance, if I had two girls, I would love to name them:

Lively [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]

But if I only have one girl (which I might, who knows?) I could name her Lively [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or Lively [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], etc!

Maybe I can just hope for girl twins, ha ha!

I’ve never thought about this, but now that you bring it up, you have a good point… I don’t have any favourite girls names right now, but what if I fall in love with two names one day? Hmm… I’ll have to think some more about this.

Is that Lively, as in ‘An action movie presents a lively entertainment option.’?

Ha ha, no:) My great grandmother was named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], nn “[name_f]Liv[/name_f]” - and Lively hits the nn requirements, and feels like a virtue name (love virtue names) without being too heavy handed (like [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], [name_f]Charity[/name_f] etc); because a kid can have a lively imagination, lively eyes, or lively personality, so it works for me:)

No, I wouldn’t stack my absolute favorite names. I love those names so I’d want my children to be called by them. If it’s in the middle it feels like a waste. I have a great mn that I have never used and no one outside of my family even knows what it is.

For example, [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] [name_f]Lotus[/name_f] is a nice name that stacks my top 2 faves but she can only go by one. Most people don’t use their mn so [name_f]Lotus[/name_f] will fade into the background. I love [name_f]Lotus[/name_f] but she’s not [name_f]Lotus[/name_f], she’s [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. Or if she prefers her mn, then she won’t use [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. Now, I don’t have a [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] because she identifies as [name_f]Lotus[/name_f]. No matter how many names I pile onto her, I really only get to have a child with one of my faves. I’d rather use one and save the rest for future kids. If I never use it then that’s fine because at least I haven’t taken away the option

I wouldn’t stack favorites.

If I love a name, I want it used. Not packed away hiding somewhere only to be pulled out for forms, applications, and fancy wall hangings.

I chose to save my other favorites for future children!

[name_m]Even[/name_m] with just one middle name I feel like that with some choices. For instance I love the name [name_f]Rose[/name_f], which is a really easy name to fit into the middle. We’ve talked about having 3-4 kids so the next one might be the last or it might not depending on a lot of factors that may not be known until long after a third is named. I really like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] but I also like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as first names.

You could go the route my mom did (though not because she was waiting to see - but more because she was overwhelmed and mn’s it didn’t seem important at the time) I was baptized when I was 8 and was only given my mn’s then. Granted she gave me a bit of a choice from a list she made but
You could just have
Lively [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] no mn’s and after a few year have a “naming ceremony” when she’s old enough to remember - age 8 or 9. Presumably by that point you would know if you have had another girl of are planning on more children. It would make the decision of “stacking” easier. And, I speak from experience there is something really cool and special about remembering being “baptized” and remembering all the people who are around you who love you at that moment. (Consider that adult baptism are fairly common in my [name_m]Christian[/name_m] churches as they require you to make the choice to give you’re life to god yourself. The church I spent my teen years in wouldn’t baptize anyone under 18 and did a blessing ceremony for babies instead. Therefore having a naming ceremony at age 8 doesn’t seem odd and it allows for you to choose names that work for your child in particular).

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I love your two combos but felt the need to say this… I assume you don’t have a LN like [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] as Lively could be unfortunate with the wrong LN.

Yes. I think, considering how expensive children are, I’m going to be forced to “stack” names, especially girl ones!