Stacy

I’ve recently found out that this can be a boy’s name and I was wondering what you think of the name [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] for a boy

I’m not sure about other countries/cultures, but where I currently live ([name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand) it’s completely unheard of and unfortunately a boy name [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] would get a pretty hard time with bullying and such.

I think of it as being completely female, although I guess I could see it on a boy as a nickname for [name_m]Eustace[/name_m], or maybe [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]? I personally don’t think a boy would enjoy being called [name_u]Stacy[/name_u], as it’s so established as a girls’ name. That being said, I think you could use it as a nickname at home for a more traditionally male name.

I think it was used for boys in the past along with names like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Dana[/name_u] and some others. It looks like it was used for boys in the 1960s and 1970s and did get into the top 200 for boys at one point. [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] too. It’s not ranked in the top 1000 for girls since 2006. Given [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] is on my list for boys, I would say there is a stronger case to be made for [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] than [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] if I am honest in terms of recency of use on boys and not being popular for girls right now.

1 Like

I’m not really a fan of it as a name but I don’t see why it can’t work for a boy. As @Hypatia_Hellene mentioned, it hasn’t ranked for girls in a long time.

2 Likes

I know it has been used as a boys name, much like [name_u]Caroll[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Kim[/name_u]. But I’m not fond of it for a boy. Sorry. I’m in the US and I think he will be horribly teased in school.

I’ve heard of [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for a boy but not [name_u]Stacy[/name_u]

I feel that a boy in this time would not want to be called [name_u]Stacy[/name_u]. It’s sounds so frilly.

I think of it as female even though I do know a male [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] in his late 30s.

Hmm, as a girl’s name it’s very dated, and as it isn’t currently popular, maybe there could be a revival as a boy name! However, I do think most people think of it as a girl’s name, which could lead to teasing. I’m not a huge fan of the name for girls, so maybe I’d like it more on a boy, but I think it will be more ripe for revival further down the road.

It’s too feminine sounding for me for a boy. Rhymes with “lacey”, maybe that’s why I think that. Many names are crossing over though, go with what you like best.

Stacy is just like [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Dana[/name_u] and lots of other names ([name_u]Hilary[/name_u], [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], [name_u]Addison[/name_u], any name ending is son really) that started off as male names and then became more popular for girls.

As PP said it is not very popular for this generation. It was when I was growing up - lots of 80s born girls were named [name_u]Stacey[/name_u]/Stacy. But I don’t know that now, when children have such diverse names, that they would be teased

1 Like

It strikes me as fairly unisex but maybe that’s because i knew both a female [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] and a boy who had [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] as a surname and used it as a first.