Standalone Boys' Names? (No Nickname, No Middle Name)

I’m trying to come up with a list of not-too-common, not-too-formal boys’ names that can stand on their own – names that don’t invite a nickname and don’t require a middle name. Here’s what I have so far:

[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Mack[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Cale[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

Any similar-style names that I’m forgetting? Anyone have a favorite from my list?

The baby’s middle name will be my last name (Italian, 3 syllables, ends in “o”) and he’ll take my husband’s last name (Italian, 4 syllables, also ends in “o”). We’d prefer a short and simple first name to balance the lyrical pair of last names.

As for the nickname issue: I personally I love a good nickname – a little [name]Hawthorne[/name] nicknamed “[name]Hawk[/name]” keeps coming up on these boards, which sounds great to me – but my in-laws are very formal and don’t believe in nicknames. So as much as I’d like a little [name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name], he’d be strictly [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Charles[/name] to his local and loving grandparents, and I think those are heavy names for a baby boy. In other words, I’m looking for names-without-nicknames to avoid a too-serious given name.

Thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]/[name]Finn[/name]/[name]Flynn[/name]

Best,
L.

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Lex[/name]

Best,
L.

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Lex[/name]

Best,
L.

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Lex[/name]

Best,
L.

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Lex[/name]

Best,
L.

I dig the names:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Lex[/name]

Best,
L.

Thanks for the suggestions, L! You’re totally on the right track here because [name]Finn[/name], [name]Flynn[/name] (a last name), and [name]Kian[/name] (rhymes with [name]Ian[/name]) are names of very close family members of mine. Though I don’t want to name my son after one of my younger cousins, I’m definitely looking for a name that fits in with the rest of the clan. (Other names of family members that I love: [name]Will[/name], [name]Nell[/name], and [name]Tess[/name].)

[name]Jack[/name], [name]Kyle[/name], [name]Liam[/name], and [name]Owen[/name] are the first to come to mind. Sorry for any repeats! :wink:

The names below are pretty well nickname proof. My faves are in bold.
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Ned[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Lloyd[/name]
[name]Justin[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Hart[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Keir[/name]
[name]Lorne[/name]
[name]Neil[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Troy[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]

[name]Mack[/name] is a favorite of mine!

Other suggestions:

[name]Scott[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Brock[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Thad[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Beau[/name]

Sorry for repeats:

[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]

kyemsma – I love these names, but I’m not sure if I can use them. [name]Kyle[/name] is my sister’s name (she has always longed for something more feminine but I love [name]Kyle[/name] for a girl), [name]Owen[/name] is the newborn baby of two of my closest friends, and [name]Liam[/name] is the name of another close friend of mine. I like [name]Jack[/name] a lot, but it’s so popular – especially here in New [name]York[/name] City. In any case, I appreciate your suggestions and think you have great taste!

mischa, leah, and momof374: Thank you for all the great suggestions – I’m going to add a bunch to my list. I like [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Enzo[/name], though I don’t know if we can use [name]Enzo[/name] since the middle and last names end in “o,” too?

[name]Mischa[/name] suggested [name]Noah[/name], which my husband likes a lot, but I’m not sure if it’s a good name for a toddler… I feel like mothers are always shouting “NO!” when a child is about to do something dangerous, and I wonder if this would be as effective if the child’s name is [name]NOah[/name]?