Starting Over :(

I thought I had landed on THE boy name ([name]Crew[/name] W___er), but then I told it to my dad (the only person who could ever have talked me out of it) and he convinced me that it doesn’t go well with our last name. Now, I have to start over.

Can you give some fresh ideas that match my style? My son’s name is [name]Boston[/name], and I don’t want this one’s name to clash with it.

To get an idea of names we like:
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name] (haven’t run this one past DH yet – I just added it)
[name]Cashel[/name] nn [name]Cash[/name] (Again, this is new to my list)
[name]Preston[/name]

Most of these were nixed because they are too popular, too similar to [name]Boston[/name], or wouldn’t age well.

Thanks so much for your help!

I didn’t know your last name started with a W- I might have to agree with Dad on this one. [name]Crew[/name] would slur with a W last name. However, I think you’ve got some fantastic names on your new list. I like a lot of them more than [name]Crew[/name]!
[name]Garrett[/name]- It’s okay. I wouldn’t use it myself, but it’s nice enough.
[name]Landon[/name]- Not a great style match with [name]Boston[/name], and sound-wise -ton and -don are very close.
[name]Liam[/name]- I love [name]Liam[/name]. I didn’t used to care for it, but now I absolutely love it. The only problem is I think it might be a bit of an odd match with [name]Boston[/name]. I don’t think that’s a reason to knock it completely, but it’s something to think about.
[name]Oakley[/name]- I like it. [name]Oak[/name] is a cute nn.
[name]Ronan[/name] - I love this name on it’s own, and even though it’s two syllables and ends in “n,” I don’t think it’s too close to [name]Boston[/name], unlike [name]Landon[/name] and [name]Preston[/name].
[name]Cashel[/name] nn [name]Cash[/name]- I really like it! [name]Boston[/name] and [name]Cashel[/name]- great sibset! And [name]Cash[/name] is cute.
[name]Preston[/name]- you’d end up with two -ston names. I don’t think it’s horrendously close, but it may be pushing it a bit.

Oh, and a suggestion- what are your thoughts on [name]Cruz[/name]? [name]Cruz[/name] W-er (I’m substituting [name]Walter[/name], [name]Warner[/name], and Waller) completely takes away the slur.

Thanks for your response! I’ve never really considered [name]Cruz[/name]. I definitely like it. I’ll ask DH and see what he thinks. Oh, and [name]Walter[/name], [name]Warner[/name], and Waller are all very similar sounding to our last name.

Question: DH and I both really like [name]Oakley[/name], but can you picture it on an adult? We can picture it on a kid, a teenager, and a college student, but we have trouble picturing it on a nameplate sitting on a desk at work.

As for [name]Cashel[/name] - I’m really liking this too, but there are a lot of people who are almost offended by the nn [name]Cash[/name]. I don’t get it because I think it’s really cute!

I would suggest [name]Cruz[/name] as an alternative to [name]Crew[/name]. Also, [name]Dashiell[/name] (prn [name]Dash[/name]-ul), [name]Dexter[/name], and [name]Thatcher[/name] instantly come to mind.

About [name]Oakley[/name]- yes, I think I can picture it on an adult. I know a 20-something named [name]Oak[/name], and it fits him well (he’s a musician, and a child of hippies). But it may not be the best name for a lawyer or stockbroker- I hadn’t thought of that. It’s not terrible, though. I think something like [name]Danny[/name] (full name) would actually be worse, and with all the Rileys and Baileys I think the -ley suffix will become more adult sounding in the future.

As for [name]Cashel[/name], I don’t know why people would be offended by the nn. I don’t think it’s a big deal- if someone doesn’t like it, he can just go by [name]Cashel[/name] instead of [name]Cash[/name]. It’s a perfectly legitimate Gaelic name. It’s not like you’re naming him “Money” or “Dollar.”

Leah_9 - Thanks so much for your suggestions! I like [name]Cruz[/name] and I think it’s going on our list, but I wonder how well it would fit a little very-german-looking blonde boy. What do you think? I like [name]Dash[/name] (DH doesn’t) but I’m not a fan of [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]Dexter[/name] ends in -er like our last name, so it’s out and I really like [name]Thatcher[/name], but it has the same -er problem.

Daisy451 - I could see [name]Oakley[/name] fitting as an adult a little better now, but I realized a potential problem: We live in Oklahoma. So when people hear [name]Oakley[/name], they are going to think of [name]Annie[/name] [name]Oakley[/name], or the song Okie from Muskogee.

I completely agree about [name]Cashel[/name]. [name]Cash[/name] was on my list before and people kept commenting on the monetary part of it. I thought [name]Cashel[/name] would be a good compromise for those people, and I really liked [name]Cashel[/name] too. But DH has now nixed it and [name]Ronan[/name]. sigh Hopefully we have a girl because I’m thinking a boy just won’t get a name… I really REALLY liked [name]Cashel[/name] too! I’m going to suggest [name]Heath[/name] to him again tonight. I’ve mentioned that one before and he said no, but sometimes if I give him time to process on a name he ends up changing his mind. We’ll see…

I like [name]Cashel[/name], but if your DH is not fond of it, how about [name]Callen[/name], [name]Callum[/name], or [name]Cullen[/name]?

Okay, I sat DH down and made him make me a new list. Here’s what he came up with (some were already on our list). He said that none of them really jumped out at him except [name]Enzo[/name], but the rest are all “okay”. Keep in mind that we’re not Italian – I’m not sure if that will affect your decision about [name]Enzo[/name].
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Maddox[/name]
[name]Lance[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
So what do you think? [name]Do[/name] any fit with [name]Boston[/name]?

I have to admit when I hear [name]Oakley[/name] all I think of is a pair of ugly shades…sorry.

[name]Beckett[/name] - cute…i like the double b thing [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Boston[/name]…cute
[name]Camden[/name] - No! I live close to camden (nj) not a place you would want your name associated with!
[name]Callum[/name] - Yes!
[name]Enzo[/name] - it’s cute, but I do think of little Italian boy when I hear this
[name]Garrett[/name] - Cute with [name]Boston[/name]
[name]Landon[/name] - not a fan of the double “on” ending [name]Boston[/name] and [name]Landon[/name] - sounds like a law firm to me.
[name]Maddox[/name] - No
[name]Lance[/name] - ok
[name]Hudson[/name] - no, again the double “on” ending

I vote for:
[name]Boston[/name] and [name]Callum[/name]
[name]Boston[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Boston[/name] and [name]Garrett[/name]

Oh no, I loved [name]Crew[/name] and [name]Boston[/name]! I still don’t think it would be a problem, but if you’re convinced, then I like:

[name]Boston[/name] and [name]Callum[/name] (adore the nickname [name]Cal[/name])
[name]Boston[/name] and [name]Enzo[/name]-- I like this combination best. [name]Enzo[/name] doesn’t scream Italian to me, and I think it’s definitely usable for you. It reminds me a lot of [name]Ezra[/name], one of my favorites. What do you think of [name]Boston[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name]?

I’m glad you said this! I’ve been thinking about it and I just don’t love any names like I love [name]Crew[/name]! I asked my sister and she thinks that it doesn’t sound bad with our last name. So, I’ll ask: Our last name is very similar-sounding to [name]Warner[/name], so what do you think of [name]Crew[/name] [name]Warner[/name]?

I mean, how would it be any different to [name]True[/name] [name]Warner[/name], [name]Blue[/name] [name]Warner[/name], or [name]Lou[/name] [name]Warner[/name]? None of those sound bad, right?

[name]Crew[/name] W----er sounds fine to me! Go with the name you love. Perhaps it would look better spelled as [name]Crewe[/name] so it breaks up the w’s. [name]Crewe[/name] and [name]Boston[/name] are a cool duo!

Jackiet: I definitely like [name]Ezra[/name], but DH said no immediately. I actually prefer [name]Ezra[/name] to [name]Enzo[/name], but he likes [name]Enzo[/name]. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the W thing with [name]Crew[/name] [name]Warner[/name] is terrible, but I think you have some better options. If really decide you don’t like anything as much as [name]Crew[/name], then you should go for that.

[name]Beckett[/name]-- seems to be getting quite popular, but I actually think it’s pretty cute with [name]Boston[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]-- next to brother [name]Boston[/name], people might think of it as a place name; while [name]Camden[/name] sounds nice, the city in NJ isn’t the best namesake…
[name]Callum[/name]-- love! very nice with [name]Boston[/name] and the nn [name]Cal[/name] is so great
[name]Enzo[/name]-- love! this definitely has the cool factor that [name]Boston[/name] does. I think it would be great on a little blond boy
[name]Garrett[/name]-- really like this
[name]Landon[/name]-- nice
[name]Maddox[/name]-- nice; again, it stands up to the coolness of [name]Boston[/name]
[name]Lance[/name]-- this conjures up images of a Backstreet Boy type character
[name]Hudson[/name]-- a little too theme-y and place name-y with [name]Boston[/name], I think

Favorites: [name]Enzo[/name], [name]Callum[/name], and [name]Garrett[/name]. Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think I’m just going to put it on the back burner and think on it for awhile. I’ll probably end up using [name]Crew[/name] because I love it. I’ll keep an open mind and maybe the perfect one will just come to me. :slight_smile: