Stephanie - yes or no?

What are your associations with the name [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]? On one forum I read a bad opinion about a part of the name [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] ((((( Thank you!!!

[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] is lovely, and I’ve never heard anyone pull [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] from it??? I adore the name [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], personally. It’s a timeless choice.

I think its overused like [name_f]Brittney[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Brianna[/name_f], etc.
But I don’t have any personal negative associations with it. Other than it makes me think of a stereotypical basic “mean girl.” But then again, I have that association with my own first name.

Not sure where fanny came from. I’ve never heard anyone use this. I personally see it as very 70/80s and in the list of not ready to come back yet. This is your child though and I think it’s very important to use the name you feel an extra attachment to, the one that feels more than just a name, one you would regret not using.

It’s the one of the few 70s/80s names I really like. I think it’s nice and think it would suit a little girl today, I’m sure there won’t be many her age named that

I don’t like it but that’s only because I have bad associations with it. I think it could be refreshing to hear on a little girl now, and I like [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] as a nickname.

I think it’s a sweet name, so a yes from me.

I really like the name [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]! Yes! It’s a beautiful and sweet name. I loved it when I was a child. [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] or [name_f]Fannie[/name_f] are common nicknames for [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] in [name_m]French[/name_m] speaking countries. I think it is cute and I didn’t know [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] had a bad connotation in English until I saw this post. You can always find another nickname you love!

I only know 2 Stephanies in real life. One is a very nice grown adult who is chronically late for everything. And the other is a very loud, very stubborn 5 yr old. The adult goes by [name_u]Steph[/name_u] and the child goes by [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f].

I’m a [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] - and it’s really interesting to read the comments people have about my name!

I’m in the US, and no one has ever called me “[name_f]Fanny[/name_f].” It’s just not an intuitive nickname for English-speakers, in my experience. “[name_u]Steph[/name_u]” and “[name_f]Steffi[/name_f]” are much more common. I get “[name_u]Steph[/name_u]” a fair amount - both my brother and my spouse call me [name_u]Steph[/name_u] pretty much exclusively. My mom planned to call me “[name_u]Stevie[/name_u],” which didn’t catch on, alas. I would’ve loved to be a [name_u]Stevie[/name_u]! And my southern Grandpa had two granddaughters named [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (blended family situation), and he called us both “[name_f]Effie[/name_f].”

I like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] quite a lot. I think it’s a very pretty name. Of course I went through the normal adolescent phase of desperately wanting to change it, but overall I’ve liked wearing it.

My biggest complaint is that it got so popular in the 80’s (when I was born). I’ve always known several other Stephanies, and one memorable year at camp had multiple other Stephanies in my 11-camper cabin. A [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] born now won’t have that problem, but I do worry that she’d feel like she has a “mom name.”

[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] is by no means a bad name, but it does strike me as being pretty dated (at least where I live).

I think in English-speaking countries the nickname [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] is unlikely - [name_u]Steph[/name_u] or Stephy seem more likely to me.

My name is [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and I’ve never been called [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]. The worse I’ve gotten as a kid was Step-on-me. Lol [name_f]Steffi[/name_f] was my nickname when I was little. I think [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] is a cute nn too.
The name does seem a little dated to me now but I think it’s still a nice name with a good meaning.

The name [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] feels very dated to me. Its not a bad name, it just feels out of fashion.

Also as an American/Australian, the nickname [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] would not be something I would want to bestow on a little girl/future woman.

One of my best friends is [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], so I say the name a lot and never once thought of [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]! I actually like this name a lot more now than I did when it was popular in the seventies and eighties. I like that it can have the funny spunky nicknames [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] or [name_u]Steph[/name_u] or can revert to the elegant [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f].

I’ve never heard of fanny before. I wouldn’t pronounce it as ste-fanny but I get where you’re coming from.

Maybe just [name_u]Steph[/name_u] by itself, it’s really cute and not so girly.

The Stephanies I know are all lovely people.
I’ve never heard of fanny associated with [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] before, ever.