Stephen or Steven?

I like the [name]SteVen[/name] spelling best. What about you? also m or n middle names for steven? i was thinking like maxwell, or montgomery (sp?) so any other ideas? Thanks!

I actually prefer [name]Stephen[/name] - it looks a little softer and doesn’t link me to the nickname [name]Steve[/name], which I personally don’t care for.

I don’t know how long your last name is, so I’ll just list a bunch of names I think sound good with [name]Stephen[/name]…

[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Maximos[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Nicodemus[/name]

I think [name]Steven[/name].
[name]Stephen[/name] to me should be pronounced as [name]Stefan[/name]. It’s the only PH in the English language that has randomly started being pronounced as a V

I’m a [name]Stephen[/name] fan. I think it looks more classic and grown up.

Another vote for [name]Stephen[/name], though I think either will be shortened to [name]Steve[/name] no matter what you do.

All the [name]Steven[/name]'s I’ve known have gone by nn [name]Steve[/name].

All the [name]Stephen[/name]'s I’ve known have gone by only [name]Stephen[/name] objecting to [name]Steve[/name].

I prefer [name]Stephen[/name] myself. I pronounce the two every so slightly differently.

It’s difficult! I like [name]Stephen[/name] better in theory - for most of the reasons already given in favor of this spelling, but I also agree with the poster who chose [name]Steven[/name] because I do look at [name]Stephen[/name] like it’s supposed to be pronounced [name]Steffan[/name] - and i think some people do use [name]Stephan[/name].

80% [name]Stephen[/name], 20% [name]Steven[/name], that’s my opinion in favor of either spelling. [name]Stephen[/name] is probably the better form of the name - the classic spelling? I am only guessing it is. They are both very old names - [name]Stephen[/name] is Greek from [name]Stephanos[/name], while [name]Steven[/name] is a Medieval English variant according to another site.

I think [name]Steve[/name] or [name]Stevie[/name] is an ok nickname. Not sure why anyone would suggest trying to avoid it. It’s been used so much - everyone knows at least 3 Steves. I think there’s nothing wrong with it - most of the kids his age won’t know any Steves except him - and maybe 2 of their uncles.

1 Like

I have known a few stevens and only one went by [name]Steve[/name]

[name]Stephen[/name] is my preferred spelling.

[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Mathis[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name]

[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Nash[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Niles[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Nehemiah[/name]

Last name is 2 syllables. ends in an s starts in a g. As for steve, that would be a nickname he would chose to have later in life. to me it would always be steven. I agree with the stePHan thing. that when i look at it i see [name]Steffan[/name] and i know people who have it spelt like stephan and pronounced steffan. i appriciate all the help! middle names are greatly appriciated!

[name]Stephen[/name] or [name]Stefan[/name]

I prefer [name]Stephen[/name] pronounced either way, although I quite like [name]Steven[/name] too. Some ‘m’ and ‘n’ mns:

[name]Steven[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Maddox[/name] (to quote some else ‘[name]Angelina[/name] doesn’t own it!’)
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Moore[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Murphy[/name]

[name]Steven[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Noel[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Noah[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Nigel[/name]
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Nemo[/name] (it’s more than just an animated fish!)
[name]Steven[/name] [name]Neil[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Try living with the name [name]STEPHEN[/name], you have to some time be used to both pronunciations it’s almost like having two diffrent names in one spelling. Most of my live I’ve been addressed as ‘STEEV-en’ but on occasion addressed as ‘[name]STEF[/name]-en’ There was only one time on a quirky everybody when they saw my name said ‘[name]STEF[/name]-en’ then later that afternoon after bening called so someone asked me my name and I said to him “You can call Me ‘[name]STEF[/name]-en’” On the same day I bought a Zune HD mp3 player, I named it [name]STEF[/name]-en’s Zune player.
I would suggest strongly to guy with the name if they want to get addressed as ‘STEEV-en’ they need to get it changed to -[name]Steven[/name]- but since the popularity of name -[name]STEPHEN[/name]- being pronounced as ‘STEEV-en’ theres no guarentee of being called ‘[name]STEF[/name]-en’ I’m sure most guys with the name at one time or another will be called ‘[name]STEF[/name]-en’ The tricky thing is if youu intro yourself as that version what are the chances of them spelling it [name]Stefan[/name]?

I like [name]Steven[/name] or [name]Stefan[/name], of course they have different pronuciations. [name]Stephen[/name] is confusing on how it should be said, do you say stev-en or do you say stef-en like you would with [name]Stephanie[/name].

1 Like

I prefer the spelling “[name]Stephen[/name].” A middle name beginning with ‘m’ would be best, since the ‘-n’ ending in [name]Stephen[/name] will run into a middle name beginning with ‘n’. Since [name]Stephen[/name] is a common, classic name, something a bit more modern or unusal would complement it nicely. [name]Miles[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Muir[/name], Mercutio, [name]Magnus[/name]…

I prefer the [name]Stephen[/name] spelling too, but I think most people would instinctively write it as [name]Steven[/name], as that’s the more common version (in the UK anyway)

My dads name is [name]Stephen[/name], I much prefer this spelling. To me the '[name]Stephen[/name]" spelling looks more timeless and classic compared to ‘[name]Steven[/name]’ which looks very americanized. In Australia everyone pronounces [name]Stephen[/name] as Steev-en and it is more popular spelling.

[name]Stephen[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Brady[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

This site doesn’t have pronunciation icons for the name info, I wonder why that is?

I like [name]Stephen[/name] better.

In English [name]Stephen[/name] is pronounced [name]Steven[/name] and [name]Stephan[/name] is pronounced [name]Steffan[/name]. If you look at the Spanish and Catalan variants, you will see the same changes, only with the letter “b” which often has the “v” sound – [name]Esteban[/name] and [name]Esteve[/name]. It evolved because of the long e sound – Steefen becomes quite easily [name]Steven[/name] if you say it quickly enough. The Greek is, as mentioned above, [name]Stephanos[/name].

I prefer [name]Stephen[/name] because to me it looks nicer and is less gee-whiz [name]Billy[/name], [name]Tommy[/name], [name]Stevie[/name], and [name]Gary[/name] – all names associated with the late 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. It’s also interesting that in my limited experience, the kids who were Catholic went with [name]Stephen[/name] and the kids who were not with [name]Steven[/name]…

I like:
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Philip[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name] [name]Declan[/name]