Still can't decide on a boy's name!!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone! I’ve already posted a few times, but as I get closer and closer to my due date I still can’t come to a decision (or even narrow it down enough). I want a name that is not too popular, but that is familiar enough that people won’t think it’s weird. Also I don’t want a name that could go to the girls…I don’t want my son to have the same name as a girl in his class. I do realize this is more of a challenge than it would have been in the past!

Here are the names on my list and my likes/concerns with each one…

[name]Bennett[/name] - I like this and the nickname possibilities

[name]Cole[/name] - Too popular?

[name]Liam[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this, but I fear that it is getting too trendy.

[name]Leo[/name] - I love this name but it feels too short to me, and I’m not really a fan of the longer versions of [name]Leo[/name].

[name]Luca[/name] - I’m afraid this will turn into a girls name because of the feminine ending.

[name]Preston[/name] - My #1 name for quite some time, now I’m second guessing it.

[name]Rhys[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name and spelling, but I hate the fact that [name]Reese[/name] is a popular name for girls.

[name]Roman[/name] -

[name]Rowan[/name] - Like how this sounds but worried about it being too girly.

Alright now for middle names, I’ve mainly been considering [name]William[/name] (my dad and grandpa’s middle names), [name]James[/name] (a long time favorite), and [name]Patrick[/name] (to honor my grandma [name]Patricia[/name]).

I’m also a big fan of alliteration, my name is [name]Megan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and while it’s not very unique, I always loved the sound. Last name is [name]Rogers[/name]. I’ve considered the combination of [name]Roman[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Rogers[/name], but it could be too much R. Then again, my uncle’s name is [name]Randy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] [name]Rogers[/name], and the 3 R’s work for him!!

Anyway if you could give me your thoughts/opinions on my names and maybe come up with some first/middle combos that would be so helpful!! And I’m also open to any suggestions, first or middle.

Thank you so much!!! (and I apologize that this is so lengthy and information filled!)

[name]Bennett[/name]: I think this is very handsome, and I can’t see this one going to the girls. I think that [name]Bennett[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] is great! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Everett[/name], too.

[name]Cole[/name]: It’s #84, which may or may not be too popular for you. I love it has a nickname for [name]Nicholas[/name] or even [name]Coleman[/name].

[name]Liam[/name]: Some of the others on your list feel fresher to me because I’ve heard [name]Liam[/name] so often.

You may also like:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cullen[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Phinean[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]

[name]Leo[/name]: I love the name [name]Leo[/name], and think that [name]Leo[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] is very handsome. :slight_smile:

I see that it’s too short for you…Hmmm…I think [name]Leo[/name] could be a nickname for:

[name]Elliot[/name] (although there are some girls named [name]Elliott[/name])
[name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]McLeod[/name]

[name]Luca[/name]: What about [name]Lucas[/name] or [name]Luke[/name]?

[name]Preston[/name]: Because of [name]Britney[/name] Spears’ son, this name feels kind of trendy to me…

[name]Rhys[/name]: I think the [name]Rhys[/name] spelling is very masculine, but I understand your concerns.

What about [name]Reed[/name]?

[name]Roman[/name]: I really like this!

[name]Rowan[/name]: It’s a boys’ name to me, but I think that [name]Roman[/name] is a great alternative.

With your last name, I really love [name]William[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] in the middle, only because [name]James[/name] (which I love, too) has the same ending as your last name.

For me, [name]Roman[/name] Ryhs [name]Rogers[/name] is a bit much (and I love alliteration), but if you’re comfortable with it, that’s what matters!

Good luck!

[name]Bennett[/name] - Great Name, very well rounded

[name]Cole[/name] - while this is fairly popular, the main thing you need to consider is if you want your kid lumped into the ‘trying-to-be-cool cowboy names’ Some of my extended family live in heavy areas of this trend and it’s not very well thought of other places.

[name]Liam[/name] - I think [name]Liam[/name] has gone past the few-year-trend period and has just become popular, so its up to you, I don’t feel that it’s hugely dated but definitely common

[name]Leo[/name] - This is just too nicknamey for me

[name]Luca[/name] - I’m afraid I do expect this to become a 50/50 name, maybe not go over to the girl’s side but become pretty equal

[name]Preston[/name] - I like [name]Preston[/name] pretty well, there are several separate types of trends for this so it doesn’t get stuck in a box of a certain kind of name

[name]Rhys[/name] - Like you I just love the feel of this one, but I couldn’t actually use it for a first name, too much of a burden on the kid’s shoulders

[name]Roman[/name] - It’s funny, my dad loves [name]Roman[/name] history and I grew up with it and really want to have something connected to that in my kid’s names but I HATE [name]Roman[/name]. Something about the sound and impression it gives me (low-moral slob and that was before it became connected to pedophilia in the cultural consciousness) just rubs me wrong

[name]Rowan[/name] - I love this name, just love it, I really like it for both boys and girls which is weird because I’m normal very one-or-the-other and it’s set in stone.

[name]Cole[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] [name]James[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]May[/name] I suggest [name]Rohan[/name]? we had [name]Rowan[/name] on our boys list even though I love for a girl, recently hubby decided it was too girly and its back on the girls list.

[name]Mathias[/name]
[name]Emil[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Andreas[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Sander[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Johannes[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]

You don’t seem to have any concerns with the name [name]Bennett[/name], so I’d go for that one! If it makes it any better, I love that name! Not only is it sort of in the cool category because it is a surname name, but it also has a classic handsome feel and a literary connection to [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]! Not to mention it means “little blessed one” - how perfect is that? I think it is perfect and would use it myself if I didn’t have a brother named [name]Benjamin[/name] “[name]Ben[/name]”.

I think [name]Bennett[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] would be cute of the names you like, but I’d like to suggest a few more if you don’t mind…

[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Adrian[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] ([name]BAR[/name] initials = bad? perhaps…)
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Constantine[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Curtis[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Francis[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Julian[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Miles[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Regis[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Rufus[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] ([name]Rufus[/name] = red-haired, does this fit?)
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]Silas[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]

Oh, and if you have another boy sometime, [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name] sound darling. [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] is darling! Or [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Parker[/name] - a superb pair! [name]Parker[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] [name]Rogers[/name] ([name]PAR[/name] = any golf fans in the family?). Good luck!

Okay…
[name]Bennett[/name] - Great name, and I agree with lemon that it’s very cool with the surname and literary connection and would go well with a lot of other names. I also like the nn [name]Ben[/name].
Alternatives: None - I love [name]Bennett[/name]!

[name]Cole[/name] - I think it depends how popular it is in your area. Yes, it’s in the top 100 in the US, but it seems to have sort of stabilised and it doesn’t fit into any of the current meganames, so I don’t think it’ll get more popular. So I think it does depend on whether it’s more trendy where you live or not. It can really vary.
Alternatives: [name]Colt[/name], [name]Coleman[/name], [name]Ward[/name], [name]Reid[/name], [name]Luke[/name], [name]Chase[/name], [name]Kade[/name], [name]Blake[/name], [name]Cain[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Tate[/name]

[name]Liam[/name] - I think this has more potential to rise further in popularity than [name]Cole[/name]. Why not use [name]William[/name] - then [name]Liam[/name] can be a nn.
Alternatives: [name]Will[/name], [name]Lewis[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Ewan[/name], [name]Evan[/name], [name]Laird[/name], [name]Levi[/name], [name]Kian[/name], [name]Kieran[/name]

[name]Leo[/name] - I know what you mean about the longer versions. I like [name]Leo[/name] on its own and don’t think it’s too short. I also REALLY like [name]Leon[/name].
Alternatives: [name]Aldo[/name], [name]Arlo[/name], [name]Theo[/name], [name]Cato[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Laszlo[/name], [name]Mateo[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Nico[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Taddeo[/name]

[name]Luca[/name] - Unfortunately, I do think it might go over to the girls for a while, but I think kids in this generation will be quite used to names being unisex since there’s so many of them. I still really love [name]Luca[/name] for a boy. You could try spelling it [name]Lucca[/name].
Alternatives: [name]Micah[/name], [name]Luke[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Lucian[/name], [name]Cruz[/name], [name]Drew[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Louis[/name], [name]Costa[/name], [name]Dino[/name], [name]Dante[/name]

[name]Preston[/name] - Not sure why you’re second guessing this one, unless you’ve just heard it too much? I really like [name]Preston[/name], and it looks like it’s peaked, so won’t get more popular.
Alternatives: I’m not going to give any as I think it will just dilute [name]Preston[/name] even more.

[name]Rhys[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] - Agree with what you said about them becoming popular for girls (although admittedly, I am becoming a bit of a unisex name fan). I do think the spelling helps to differentiate it.
Alternatives: [name]Bryn[/name], [name]Dixon[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Vaughan[/name]

[name]Roman[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thanks everyone for your great responses!!

[name]Jill[/name] - I like [name]Bennett[/name] [name]William[/name] too :), it’s a top contender as of now! Something about [name]Callum[/name] appeals to me, but I’m not sure I love the sound of it. I really like [name]Cullen[/name] but fear that it is too Twilight related. I love [name]Lucas[/name] but the fact that it’s so common takes away some of it’s appeal…it is a classic though. I don’t really see [name]Britney[/name] Spears’ son as a concern, considering it’s only his middle name, but I can see how you would feel that way! I do like [name]Reed[/name] though! Thank you for your help, I always love reading your responses on Nameberry, you have great things to say!

Calandralark - I definitely don’t want him to be lumped into what you say is the “trying to be cool cowboy name trend” haha I have never considered [name]Cole[/name] as a cowboy name, it might be a regional thing though. Funny story about [name]Roman[/name]!

[name]Butterfly[/name] - Is [name]Rohan[/name] pronounced the same as [name]Rowan[/name]?? I really like [name]Jonas[/name] but it reminds me too much of the boy band. I do really like [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Elias[/name]. I’ve always wondered if the correct pronounciation of [name]Elias[/name] is [name]Ellie[/name]-as or E-lie-as.

[name]Lemon[/name] - You’re right, I don’t have any major concerns with [name]Bennett[/name], I’m just not sure if it’s the right fit! I do love that it means “little blessed one” though, perfect for a new baby :slight_smile:

Lamps - Thank you for putting so much thought into your responses and suggestions! I like [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Reid[/name] a lot. The problem with [name]William[/name] is that it is even more popular than [name]Liam[/name]! It’s in the top 10 in my state. [name]Levi[/name] is cute. I’ve been second guessing [name]Preston[/name] because of some comments from people. I know it shouldn’t bother me what others say but I can’t help it!

Thanks to everyone again!

[name]Bennett[/name] - I really like this!

[name]Cole[/name] - To me it feels like a nickname, not a name.

[name]Liam[/name] - I don’t care for this, and I think it is getting too trendy.

[name]Leo[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like this name

[name]Luca[/name] - a popular name, but I adore it! I really like, [name]Luka[/name] and [name]Lukas[/name].

[name]Preston[/name] - it has gotten quite popular, but it’s still nice.

[name]Rhys[/name] - I fear pn problems with this… I see it as being pronounced [name]Reese[/name], Rise, or [name]Rice[/name].

[name]Roman[/name] - different boys name! i like it!

[name]Rowan[/name] - i definitely think of this being a girls name.