Still struggling...

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped over these nine months!

Unfortunately I am still struggling some… I am due in 11 days but hope to have her sooner, and I want to be sure that going into the delivery we have a few different choices that we feel really good about so that when we see her we can pick which one suits her best.

Right now I have drawbacks with all of the names we liuke but I don’t want to feel like I am just picking the lesser of four evils. I want to feel really good about our options and I am hoping you can help!

Our last name begins with P and rhymes with Purple. Its eastern european so it only has one vowel, which makes it kind of hard to match up with things that look and sound good.

Middle name will be [name]Marie[/name], family tradition I want to keep.

I have red hair and so does my sister so we’re thinking this will likely be a little redhead with blue eyes.

The four names we are considering right now (and their stories) are below… Sorry its long.

[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] ([name]Lou[/name]-sha) nn [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] means “[name]Light[/name]” and [name]Saint[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] is the patron saint of the blind. This has meaning for us as DH’s brother is losing his vision and we hope that someday our childs cord blood mightrestore his vision help via stem cell transplant based on current research being done. I also like the idea of her bringing light into our lives. [name]December[/name] 13th is [name]St[/name]. [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Day[/name] in sweden (I am mostly swedish). My concerns with this name are that it can be pronounced in several ways and I am getting the sense that even in the US [name]Lou[/name]-sha might not be the most common pronounciation.

[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] is a strong family name on DH’s side and my grandfathers name is [name]Anderson[/name], whom we always called Grampa [name]Andy[/name]. If we don’t use this for a girl we may keep it for a boy to name [name]Anderson[/name] some day. There is a girl (friend of the family) whom I am not fond of with the name [name]Alexandra[/name] and it bothers me some that she might think she was named after her in some way… But the other part of me feels like I shouldn’t let her stop me from using a great name.

[name]Elliott[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
DH loves this, I like it too but worry she might not love having a boys name someday and it feels trendy, which cheapens it. Is it trendy? Also I don’t like nn [name]Ellie[/name] so I am not certain I can avoid this.

[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Remi[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] means little redhead and I like that its unisex. [name]Both[/name] DH and I love the nn [name]Remi[/name] and this is DH’s favorite way to get there… Does it matter that its not the traditional nn? Is it confusing?

Okay so I think that covers it!!!

Any thoughts you have on the above are much appreciated, though I am not looking for lots of suggestions for other names. Thanks in advance!

[name]Lucia[/name] is my very favorite of your choices, with [name]Alexandra[/name] following closely.
Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly!

My thoughts exactly![/quote]

Thanks ladies… Can I ask how you would first pronounce [name]Lucia[/name] when reading it?

I like [name]Alexandra[/name] the best, then [name]Lucia[/name].
Not too found of [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] for a girl, but I’m not a fan of the ‘let’s-give-our-little-baby-girls-boy-names’ trend as a rule.

Thanks ladies… Can I ask how you would first pronounce [name]Lucia[/name] when reading it?[/quote]

I would say [name]Lou[/name]-sha…but I’m Italian :slight_smile:

I asked my hubby and he said [name]Lu[/name] see ah

I love the name [name]Andie[/name], but I think [name]Alexandra[/name] is overused and doesn’t really go with the nn [name]Andie[/name]. [name]How[/name] about just using [name]Andie[/name] as the name? I feel the same way about [name]Remi[/name]. My friend has a daughter with that name, and I think it’s beautiful. [name]Rowan[/name] is nice, too, but I don’t get [name]Remi[/name] as the nn for it. [name]Elliot[/name] for a girl is original and you could use some cute feminine nicknames with it. [name]Lucia[/name] is my least fave. Maybe you just need to meet this beautiful little girl and decide which of these names fits her best?

Definitely [name]Lucia[/name]…although there will be the pronounciation problems. I think the majority of americans will say “lo-see-ah”, but once she tells them the proper way it shouldn’t be hard to remember.

I would say Loo-sha but we might not be representative on this board. My thoughts, for what they’re worth:
[name]Lucia[/name] - lovely meaning for you and in general. You have to decide if you will be bothered by correcting people’s pronunciations; some people don’t care but it would bother me.
[name]Alexandra[/name] - ok. personally, I don’t like how it sounds like a boys’ name the whole time you’re saying it until the very end when you say -uh instead of -er. But that might just be me. I like the idea of using [name]Andie[/name] as a nn for your grandfather but I would prefer to wait and use [name]Anderson[/name] or use [name]Andrea[/name] for a girl instead.
[name]Elliott[/name] - I agree with you that using this solidly boys’ name for a girl is trendy and cheapens it a little bit. Especially if you don’t like nickname [name]Ellie[/name] which may be hard to avoid.
[name]Rowan[/name] - I like this unisex name and love nn [name]Remi[/name] for it. I don’t have any problems when nicknames do not seem totally linked to the given name. [name]Andie[/name] isn’t the first thing people think of for [name]Alexandra[/name] either (or probably even the second). I think this is a nice fit for you!

[name]Lucia[/name] is the clear winner here!

It’s the nicest of all the names on your list, as you can see by all the comments. It has the strongest personal connection to you. And the only problem you’ve identified is pronunciation, but the pronunciation you prefer is clearly the most convential pronunciation of the name, and most of the time she will introduce herself aloud and not on paper, so it will be rare that people will have the opportunity to mis-pronounce it (also, it is the kind of name that when heard aloud, I can’t imagine anyone not knowing how to spell).

The other names just can’t compete - [name]Alexandra[/name] is nice, but it’s not as distinct or pretty as [name]Lucia[/name], and there’s that annoying association you have with it that will probably nag at you.
[name]Elliott[/name] is a fabulous boy’s name (or a VERY trendy girl’s name, bound to feel dated by the time she is an adult) and [name]Ellie[/name] is just not special (it’s no [name]Lucy[/name]).

[name]Rowan[/name] is a fine name, not really my style so I don’t know how well I can comment on it. I will say this though: [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] just sounds odd, or as if [name]Marie[/name] were just filler. [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] on the other hand sounds perfect together and quite harmonious (though I might consider [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Maria[/name] if I were you).

I say [name]Lucia[/name]! And i pronounce is [name]Lu[/name]-see-a. I think its a veru gorgeous name!

[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] ([name]Lou[/name]-sha)- when i see this name i pronounce it lou see ah, so yes there may be issues with that but if she will go primarily by [name]Lucy[/name] there is not much of a problem. this is my fav choice.

[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name]- i too feel that alexandra is over used and do NOT like the nn andie for either sex. I am also not a fan of nn just for the sake of them.

[name]Elliott[/name] [name]Marie[/name]- You cannot avoid the nn ellie with this name. Also not a fan of unisex nmes.

[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Remi[/name]-??? im so confused by the nn remi. I have a male friend named [name]Remington[/name] nn [name]Remi[/name] and i like it. Maybe you should keep this for a future boy.

I am voting for [name]Lucia[/name] too! It is beautiful and by far my favourite of your choices. I would pn it Loo- see- ah. However, what people will do in practice is ask you how you pn it or you can just correct them. [name]How[/name] about [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Rowan[/name]?
Good luck with delivery :slight_smile:

[name]Lou[/name]-See-[name]Ah[/name] is what I would say in the US.
Thanks ladies… Can I ask how you would first pronounce [name]Lucia[/name] when reading it?[/quote]

I agree. I have also heard [name]Lucia[/name] pronounced Loo-CHEE-uh. But I prefer Loo-SEE-uh. LOO-sha is lovely. You could call her [name]Lucy[/name] for short. [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is gorgeous.

Hmm. I think I’ll buck the trend and go with [name]Alexandra[/name] over [name]Lucia[/name]. It feels more regal and beautiful to me. [name]Lucia[/name]'s great too, though.

[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] ([name]Lou[/name]-sha) nn [name]Lucy[/name], Pretty but not my favourite

[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name] I love [name]Alexandra[/name] nn of [name]Alex[/name]

[name]Elliott[/name] [name]Marie[/name] I don’t think a boy’s name will be the answer for you as you seem to like very feminine names. You may consider [name]Anneke[/name], [name]Alyssa[/name], [name]Ellen[/name] (if Swedish [name]Elin[/name] as in [name]Tiger[/name]'s wife may appeal) or [name]Elise[/name].

[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Remi[/name] Again a boy’s name why not go for [name]Rowena[/name]?

Sorry about the extra suggestions if it was up to me I would choose [name]Alexandra[/name] as it is a gorgeous name and I don’t like boy’s names for girls.

I love [name]Lucia[/name]! Especially with the back story. Very lovely name, and especially beautiful given the significance.

As for pronunciation, I speak Italian and they’re say Loo-chee-ah, so that’s what I default to when I see it. However, I know I’m in the minority! When I try to put aside the Italian, I think Loo-see-ah. I’m in [name]California[/name] if that matters, could be a regional thing. I’ve never heard Loo-sha but maybe I haven’t been listening.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Erin[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] ([name]Lou[/name]-sha) nn [name]Lucy[/name]: I love [name]Lucia[/name] (I know a Loo-sha), and think it’s such a beautiful name. I think that [name]Lucy[/name] is fantastic, too, and by calling her [name]Lucy[/name], the pronunciation of [name]Lucia[/name] takes a backseat. I love its meaning to you, and hope that everything works out with your brother-in-law.

[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name]: I think that the flow of [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Purple is great, and because you’ll be calling her [name]Andie[/name], she’ll stand out from the sea of Lexies and [name]Alexes[/name]. It feels trendier to me than [name]Lucia[/name], but nowhere near as trendy as [name]Alexis[/name].

I can relate to knowing someone icky who ruins a name, and I personally think it’s important to choose a name that makes you happy, without any negative associations.

[name]Elliott[/name] [name]Marie[/name]: I think it has a great flow with your last name, but like you said, boys’ names on girls is a trend, so [name]Elliott[/name] on a girl does feel pretty trendy to me. However, it feels trendy to me because it’s a boys’ name, not because [name]Elliott[/name] in and of itself is trendy. I don’t find [name]Elliott[/name] cheap at all, and to me, it’s completely different than Mackenize, [name]Avery[/name], [name]Riley[/name], etc., which feel trendy to me in and of themselves, if that makes sense.

It is possible to go through life without a nickname, but because 2/3 of the name is [name]Ellie[/name], I think it’s pretty likely that people will want to call her [name]Ellie[/name]. Is it the sound you don’t like? I guess I’m kind of confused because it’s such a part of [name]Elliott[/name].

[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Remi[/name]: I think that [name]Rowan[/name] is a great name, and it has [name]Elliott[/name]'s style to me. I’m personally liberal when it comes to nicknames, and if you told me to call her [name]Remi[/name], I’d call her [name]Remi[/name] without a problem. [name]Romy[/name] seems like a more natural choice, but I know how much you love [name]Remi[/name]!

From your list, [name]Lucia[/name] is my favorite, with [name]Alexandra[/name] in second place. Between [name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name], I’ll go with [name]Rowan[/name], not only because I like the sound, but because it gives you [name]Remi[/name] and lets you avoid [name]Elliott[/name]'s [name]Ellie[/name].

I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you, [name]Erin[/name]! :slight_smile: