Strategies for naming twins

Would your strategy for naming twins would be different than naming two siblings? What would you look for in a set of names for twins?

Also, would you be more hesitant to use gender neutral names for a girl-boy set of twins than for non-twin siblings?

Just for fun, what would you name a set of twins if the parents insisted only on popular names?

I definitely wouldn’t want matchy names, like the same initial for example. For non-twin siblings, I could deal with a shared initial if I absolutely loved the second name and nothing else felt right, but I really wouldn’t want to do it for twins. I wouldn’t want to give the impression that they’re somehow a “set”.

That said, I’d definitely choose names of a similar style, length and — more or less — popularity level. I’d be fine with two gender-neutral names, as long as they weren’t too similar in terms of sound, eg. [name_u]Parker[/name_u] and [name_u]Carter[/name_u], or something like that.

Popular names only…

GG: [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Zara[/name_f] (I like the A - Z link :wink:)

BG: [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_f]Zara[/name_f]

BB: [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m]

2 Likes

I do wonder if they girl was [name_u]Parker[/name_u] and boy was [name_u]Carter[/name_u] if they would be more likely to get mixed up and be upset about being called by their brother’s/sister’s name.

1 Like

Same as others have said, I would name that like normal siblings but definitely with a style to them so people know that they’re siblings! I wouldn’t do matching initials so that they could have their own personalized things especially for twins who get grouped together so often!

Popular names…
G/G: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] & [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
B/G: [name_u]Mason[/name_u] & [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
B/B: [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] & [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]

1 Like

I think naming twins would be only slightly different for me. I’d want there to be some subtle connection between the names, even if it’s just origin or something like that – not too theme-y. I like them to be distinct enough from each other, but at the same time sound like they go together well, if that makes sense.

Twins with popular names:
Isabel & Emma
Charlotte & Sophie
Ella & Mia
Lucy & Eleanor
Alice & Caroline
Clara & Josephine
Lydia & Cora

Oliver & Henry
Jack & Owen
Theodore & Nicholas
Miles & Mason