Strong and Scottish?

Hello! I have a little boy named [name_m]Stafford[/name_m] and a little girl named [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. We are expecting our third and have settled in a boys name but would love help with a girl’s name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is Scottish and would like the middle name to be [name_u]Skye[/name_u].

I love [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] but fear it will always be linked to [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls. I also like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] but hate the nickname [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] has been a favorite for a while. I also like [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] but these all vetoed by my husband who prefers classic (while I like names outside The top 200).

Also our last name ends in “ie” so we need to avoid names that end in “ie” or “y”. So tricky!

Any favorites or new suggestions?

2 Likes

You have great taste!!! I love [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]!

4 Likes

Love [name_f]Iona[/name_f] :heart_eyes: [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is also gorgeous.

Scottish names…

Mirren
[name_f]Ailsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ishbel[/name_f]
[name_f]Morven[/name_f]
[name_m]Innes[/name_m]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
[name_f]Vaila[/name_f] (VAY-la)
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]

Traditional feeling but not too common…

Louisa
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]

3 Likes

Oh there are some gorgeous gems! I’ve never heard [name_f]Vaila[/name_f] before! [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is also lovely!!! What a great list! Going to show to my husband!

2 Likes

Love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]

Elspeth
[name_f]Una[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]

2 Likes

In terms of very Scottish names, it’s hardly a secret as to my favourite:

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]

(Also [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f])

I really love Flora for you!

4 Likes

Loralei would be a lovely addition to your sibset

Other ideas

Stafford, [name_f]Iona[/name_f], & ______:

Bronwyn “[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]”
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorna[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Betrys[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Moira[/name_f]

2 Likes

Hi there.

I think that [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be lovely from your list. [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] is okay (I much prefer [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]), but it’s a little soft next to [name_m]Stafford[/name_m] & [name_f]Iona[/name_f]. And GG is at least 20 years old, & the reference still holds strong. I’m sure it won’t be forever, but who knows. [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] is cool, but I’d skip it if you don’t like [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. That could be hard to avoid. Unless you liked [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], & called her that fairly exclusively. Any chance for [name_u]Skye[/name_u] as a fn? That’s beautiful!

Here are a few other ideas that you may like:

Annis

Bridget

Bernadette

Coraline

Cornelia

Catriona

Dahlia

Delia

Eloise

Elspeth

Eleanora

Eilis

Freya

Finnuala

Greta

Imogen

Juliet

Laurel

Louisa

Louise

Maren

Malin

Maire

Nuala

Niamh

Pearl

Rosalind

Rosamund

Sloane

Tallula

Tullia

Vida

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love [name_u]Vida[/name_u], [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] and so many others!!! These are unique and lovely suggestions!

My husband is pushing for [name_u]Skye[/name_u] as a first name!

Always loved [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]! [name_f]Corrine[/name_f] is sweet too!!!

Flora [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] would be lovely!

1 Like

I also came to suggest [name_f]Vaila[/name_f]! I met it while reading this article: The Top Scottish Names You Never Hear | Nameberry

1 Like

Iona is gorgeous. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is a fave for me, but I suppose it’s quite popular. What about the spelling [name_f]Islay[/name_f]? I suppose her name risks actually being [name_f]Isle[/name_f] of [name_u]Skye[/name_u] though. Sorry- this is such a ramble!

Elspeth
[name_f]Roberta[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_f]Ailsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Caledonia[/name_f]

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_f]Iona[/name_f]!

Seconding [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Vaila[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], and [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]! I also very much love [name_f]Vera[/name_f].

1 Like

Adair would absolutely be my favorite but don’t love it with mn [name_u]Skye[/name_u].
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] would be a strong second. Maybe hubby will warm to it because the -elle sound is so common now, while it gives you a more obscure name choice.
[name_m]Stafford[/name_m], [name_f]Iona[/name_f], and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], lovely!
[name_f]Flora[/name_f], from your list, is great.

Sincerely, [name_f]Ginger[/name_f]

2 Likes

Isla !!!

Stumbled upon another list and wanted to come back to suggest Eriska

Found here: Off-the-Grid Scottish Place Names - British Baby Names

I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_u]Skye[/name_u] is beautiful, too. Together they’re a bit too on-the-nose for me and also a little elemental but objectively they are lovely.
Personally, I really like [name_f]Fenella[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u] with [name_f]Iona[/name_f] and [name_m]Stafford[/name_m].

1 Like

I also came here to suggest [name_f]Vaila[/name_f]! [name_f]Vaila[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u] is lovely.