Strong, kickass girl names!

I’m looking for more strong, powerful, kickass/badass girl names to add to my list! Not frilly, not superfluous, not flouncy, not pretentious. Down to earth, blazing names with spunk and fire of girls who can take on the world. In general, I try to avoid obviously feminized versions of male names or masculine names, because I don’t want the strength to be derived from a man, I want my daughter to be strong in her own right and I think femininity can be just as strong as masculinity.

I think that names that fit this description can be names that simply sound strong or fierce, names that have meanings invoking strength/power, or names of strong women from literature or history or myths. I want names that exude these qualities! I will say that there are some really amazing historical women who I admire, but I don’t find their names particularly powerful ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], to name a few), but I recognize that this comes down to personal preference.

The strong names I have on my list right now include:

[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

And I’m really looking to add some more! What are your thoughts?

1 Like

[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]

:+1:t3: Girl I love that style!! Wonderful!

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is so great! If you’ve ever watched [name_m]How[/name_m] To Train Your Dragon you’ll understand how hardcore, tough, and independent she is, a wonderful role model.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - means ardent, fiery. A bit frilly sounding imo but so cool.
[name_f]Sabre[/name_f] - LOVE this name!!
Amazon - the Amazons are a legendary race of all-women warriors, wonder woman is one.
[name_u]Flame[/name_u] - excellent middle!
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] sounds super strong and harsh(not harsh but I don’t know what else to call it; tough maybe?)
[name_f]Jade[/name_f] - the epitome of strong and fiery and snarky
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] - Irish [name_u]Warrior[/name_u] [name_f]Queen[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u] - fiery, orange, glowing, hot, burning…
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Oriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_f]Renee[/name_f]

I love strong, badass names for girls! I’m currently crushing hard on [name_f]Xena[/name_f].

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Nyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Valkyrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Merida[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]/[name_f]Roxy[/name_f]
[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
Kestra

I think these names are strong.
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Danica[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]

I love a bunch of these!!! Keep em coming guys!!

@Babies123456 I absolutely adore [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] but I am not sure if they scream “strong” to me, especially [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. It’s one of my favourites but I’m worried it’s a little cutesy! What are your thoughts?

@EJpuddlejumper Yessssss! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is at the top of my list for a future daughter right now actually!! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband likes but doesn’t love it, so I’m trying to convince him that it’s an amazing choice. Maybe we will watch [name_m]How[/name_m] To Train Your Dragon tonight… I also LOVE your suggestions of [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. [name_u]Flame[/name_u] and [name_u]Ember[/name_u] would making amazing middles, I’ll add those to my list! I’m on the fence about [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], it’s frilly but definitely really cool. Unfortunately for [name_f]Sabre[/name_f] all I think about is the brand of hummus and the company in The Office!!

@[name_f]Myosotis[/name_f] Ooooh great list, I love [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Calista[/name_f], [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Merida[/name_f], and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]! I think [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_f]Morgana[/name_f] and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and several others on your list are also amazing and strong choices, just not my personal style for some reason, but amazing suggestions.

@ThunderLee Oh interesting!! More classic names on your list! [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] are all names I have a soft spot for. I also love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], which is similar to your recommendation of [name_f]Teresa[/name_f].

I love this style!

You have my eldest daughter’s name, my youngest daughter’s “almost” name, the name I would have used if DH didn’t have a cousin called it, and a bunch of other names from my list there :smile:

Trying not to repeat too much…

[name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivalo[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivika[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]
[name_f]Sveva[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Eseld[/name_f]
[name_f]Sigrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
Isrun
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Orlaith[/name_f]
[name_u]Endellion[/name_u]
[name_f]Vada[/name_f]
[name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Hecate[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f]
Achren
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Katharine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hecate[/name_f]
[name_f]Venus[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Cathleen[/name_f]

I was hoping you’d see this post, I absolutely love your kids’ names!! I am in love with the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f] especially, and think [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] is just lovely with your sibset. If you don’t mind me asking, what names were the “almosts” on your list? I was wondering if you had considered [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], since it seems a good fit with your style.

So many absolutely wonderful suggestions. Completely adore [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Vivika[/name_f], [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. Falling in love with [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f]. [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] is a very brave choice but I love it as well.

Yep, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] was up there! It’s a huge love of mine, but the only one on our list that my mum wasn’t keen on. I was so sad to let it go, though :cry:

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] are all names I adore and have considered (some very strongly) in the past. [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] was this close to being a [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], but her big sister suits it so much more so I’m glad now that we didn’t go with it. It still gives me a little pang when I see it in someone else’s list, though.

[name_f]Antigone[/name_f] is rather fabulous, isn’t it? I don’t know how cute/quirky nicknames fit into your “strong, kickass” requirements, but I’m a big fan of [name_f]Tiggy[/name_f]/[name_m]Tig[/name_m] for short.

I like your list! And second the suggestions of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], and [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Meret[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f]

This is a fantastic list you have made! Your description match the names so well.
Spunky, fiery, strong & powerful:

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
[name_f]Araceli[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Belen[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_u]Damaris[/name_u]
[name_f]Dierdre[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Imelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]
[name_f]Merewen[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Oksana[/name_f]
[name_f]Ondine[/name_f]
[name_f]Persis[/name_f]
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Tanis[/name_f]
[name_f]Tanith[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenaida[/name_f]

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Pomona[/name_f]
[name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

I was going to suggest [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] before I saw you’d listed them. They definitely fit the bill! Some others for me are:

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Frieda[/name_f]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Zella[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]

[name_f]Beryl[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] nn [name_u]Bernie[/name_u]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]. [name_f]Geri[/name_f]
[name_u]Dustin[/name_u]
[name_f]Fredrika[/name_f] “[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]”
[name_m]Franklyn[/name_m] “[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]”

[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Renee[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Monica[/name_f]
[name_f]Becca[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Mona[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousins name is [name_u]Rebel[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and I love the fire in it!

1 Like

@katinka Ohhh I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], that’s such a great name. But [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] is so lovely too! I’m glad you made the choice that best suits her!

Loving the suggestions of [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Pomona[/name_f], [name_f]Winona[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_u]Nova[/name_u], and [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]!

I also love [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] but they feel much softer to me!

@tessadanielle Wow, [name_u]Rebel[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]! What a spunky name!! She has a lot to live up to with that one, hopefully it instills some fire and independence in her!

2 Likes

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]? Does [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] give off a spunky, strong vibe? I also like the spelling [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], but it seems much frillier and less down to earth.

After talking to my husband, our current list is [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]. He vetoed some of the names I loved, but I think we have some solid options for the future :slight_smile:

1 Like