Stuck between two names! Help.

[name]Hi[/name] All,

I posted earlier when I didn’t know the gender but now we know #2 is a girl. She will join our first - [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name]. We didn’t know [name]Lily[/name] was so popular (nor did I know sites like this existed to help!) but we still love it nonetheless. So now my husband and I are trying to find a name we both like (he nixes EVERYTHING). A few peramiters:

• nothing too multisyllabic
  • husband, being British, would like an English name (not necessary but welcome)
  • can’t be too unpopular because it won’t match with [name]Lily[/name]

So far we have:

1. [name]Rosie[/name] - Husband’s first pick and I’m coming around. She would be [name]Rosie[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] Blamire or [name]Rosie[/name] [name]Jayne[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] Blamire ([name]Vivien[/name] has to stay in third place… family politics and [name]Jayne[/name] spelled with a ‘y’ to honour an aunt). My worry is that [name]Rosie[/name] might not be a serious enough name when she’s 30. What do you think? I don’t like any of the long forms - [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name] etc. or even just [name]Rose[/name] so its [name]Rosie[/name] or nothing (or another long form I haven’t thought of?) Also a little concerned by the [name]Rosie[/name] O’[name]Donnell[/name] association… will people just think of her? What do you think of the name [name]Rosie[/name]?

2. [name]Isla[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this name but hubbie would have to be dragged along. She would likely be [name]Isla[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] [name]Jayne[/name] [name]Vivien[/name]. A few concerns… I know there has been a lot of discussion on nameberry on its trendiness and while I have seen some really great responses to that issue, I’m still concerned it not going to be a classic. Also, I find that people are asking me to repeat it and don’t know how to spell it when I mention it as a possibility.

Very open to other name suggestions… sweet, simple, classic, reasonably popular to match [name]Lily[/name].

Thanks for your help.

• nothing too multisyllabic
  • husband, being British, would like an English name (not necessary but welcome)
  • can’t be too unpopular because it won’t match with [name]Lily[/name]

I’m not into thematic sibsets, so [name]Rosie[/name] is a bit too much when the sister is named [name]Lilly[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] your middle name choices though which would make beautiful first names: [name]Vivien[/name] and [name]Jayne[/name] are lovely. I also like [name]Isla[/name] but it might be a notch trendier than [name]Lily[/name].

Here are my other suggestions:
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Josie[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] (of [name]Abby[/name] if it’s too many syllables)
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] (or Eavie)
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Sela[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Jane[/name] or [name]Pearl[/name] would be lovely with [name]Lily[/name], have you considered using them as the first name?

Other suggestions…

[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

I love [name]Rosie[/name] (and all its longer forms) but would avoid the floral theme with a [name]Lily[/name] and a [name]Rose[/name]. That’s the only downside, though - I never even thought of [name]Rosie[/name] O’[name]Donnell[/name]. If you like the floral theme, I would probably try to find a longer form of [name]Rose[/name] and use [name]Rosie[/name] as a nn.
I wouldn’t consider [name]Isla[/name] trendy, but it’s possible it won’t turn out to be a classic like [name]Lily[/name] is. That won’t bother me, if it were my girls, but it might be important to you.

I love [name]Isla[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] - gorgeous!

Other ideas (I’ll skip middles for now, especially as the ones you have are very versatile and lovely):
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lina[/name]/[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]/[name]Clara[/name]

I would avoid creating a floral theme. [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] are a bit much together.

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

I definately like [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] over [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name], even though I think [name]Rosie[/name] is a fine stand alone name. I just don’t like the floral theme. I don’t think [name]Isla[/name] is any more trendier then [name]Lily[/name] really, so I wouldn’t be concerned with that. [name]Lily[/name] is more classic then [name]Isla[/name] though, but I still don’t think it’s a problem, at least to me. I think it would make a lovely twin-set.

Thanks for all of the great replies. I think I’m convinced that [name]Isla[/name] is the way to go. It’s a beautiful name and I agree that its a lovely sibset for [name]Lily[/name]. I also like the suggestion of [name]Pearl[/name] for a first name and am going to run it by the husband. Thanks for your help.

[name]Hi[/name]! I agree with [name]Isla[/name] rather than [name]Rosie[/name] – [name]Rosie[/name] is darling, but with [name]Lily[/name] it’s going to sound like you’re a gardener.

BTW, I have both a British husband & an [name]Isla[/name], and I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on both. :slight_smile:

Other names we considered (since we seem to have a bit in common):
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] (although again probably not the best option for you)
[name]Elizabeth[/name]