Suggestions for honoring Marc

[name]Hi[/name] folks,

If we have a boy, two of the names we are considering are [name]Alaric[/name] and [name]Eero[/name] (pronounced like the word [name]Arrow[/name]). I would really like to honor my dad in the middle name. His name is [name]Marc[/name], which is bad with both names. [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Marc[/name] just flows badly and [name]Eero[/name] [name]Marc[/name] emphasizes the wordiness of both names without being at all poetic. My dad’s middle name is [name]Cameron[/name], though he’s not crazy about it (he actually has a crooked nose so it has always seemed cruelly ironic). Husband’s father is [name]Geoffrey[/name] (that’s also husband’s middle), and we could do two middles…but then I start to get concerned about length. Our last name is 10 letters long and requires spelling/pronunciation assistance. Oh, and it only feels like an honoring name to me if you use the actual name or a very close variation. No fudging with initials or meanings!

We have lots of time to figure this out, but as a name-nerd, it’s bothered me for literally years and I’ve never hit upon a perfect solution yet! So, do you have any suggestions, o brilliant berries? Or am I just making things too difficult?

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Marcus[/name]? It’s the only way I can think of to honor a [name]Marc[/name] without using the name (I don’t think the flow is bad by the way). I have thought of the same thing because [name]Marc[/name] is a huge family name for me-- my grandfather was [name]Marc[/name], one cousin is [name]Marc[/name]-[name]Andre[/name] and another [name]Marc[/name], plus the name goes way back on our family tree.

What about [name]Marcel[/name]??? It converts the hard c sound to a soft one and I think flows nicely with both [name]Alaric[/name] and [name]Eero[/name].
[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Alaric[/name] BTW!

[name]Eero[/name] [name]Marcus[/name] looks and sounds wonderful! If you have an extra long surname, I would stick with just one middle name. I also think that something like [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] (substiture for [name]Cameron[/name]) works nicely too! Good luck!

I far prefer [name]Alaric[/name], I feel like [name]Eero[/name] would just have to many pronunciation and spelling issues. [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Marcel[/name] would cut down on the hard “c”. I also think [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Marcel[/name] [name]Geoffrey[/name] works too, and though it is a bit long. [name]Alaric[/name] Marcius could go too. With [name]Eero[/name] I think I would go with [name]Eero[/name] [name]Marcus[/name]. Cuts down on the wordiness, and sounds a bit more regal.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! [name]Marcel[/name] & Marcius do sound good. I’m not sure if I love either, but they could grow on me. [name]Marcus[/name] I do like, though I originally thought it might have the same issues as plain [name]Marc[/name]. Your comments make me think I might be overthinking it.

As far as spelling/pronunciation issues with [name]Eero[/name], I guess I don’t care that much. I have a really difficult first name, and while it is sometimes annoying to have to spell it, I certainly don’t wish I had been named something else. We like weird names. At least [name]Eero[/name] is short.

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d give you some more [name]Marc[/name] variations to see if there’s any that would appeal to you :slight_smile:

Maleko
[name]Marcell[/name]
[name]Marcelo[/name]
[name]Marcello[/name] (pr. mar-ch-ello)
[name]Marek[/name]
Martzel
Marzio
[name]Mars[/name]
[name]Marko[/name]
[name]Marcio[/name]

Hmm, here’s a thought that just occurred to me…I had always figured I would honor my mom if it were a girl and my dad if it were a boy (both my husband’s parents already have namesakes). But what if we did it the other way around? My mom’s name is [name]Lucille[/name] and she is always called [name]Lucy[/name]. I don’t like [name]Lucius[/name], but most of the other [name]Luc[/name]-/[name]Luk[/name]- names for boys are nice. Is this a horrible idea?

[name]Alexa[/name], I love [name]Marek[/name], [name]Marko[/name], and [name]Mars[/name]! Martzel is also not bad.

Hmm, this one’s tough. Here are some suggestions I thought of, I hope it’s helpful!

(Sorry of I’ve repeated anything)

Marik
[name]Marceau[/name]
[name]Marcel[/name]
[name]Marcellus[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Mares[/name]
[name]Marlon[/name]
[name]Marx[/name]
[name]Marcos[/name]

[name]Alaric[/name] [name]Mars[/name] sounds really cool, masculine and strong. I like it better than [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Marcel[/name]. My concern with [name]Eero[/name] is that it inevitably will be pronounced “Ee row” which rhymes with zero. Its not the worst teasing rhyme ever but could get old very quickly especially when your son is young.

I’m glad I could help!

And I don’t think using your sons name to honor your mother is a bad idea, if you prefer those names I think it could definitely work :slight_smile:

Oh, [name]Alaric[/name] [name]Mars[/name] makes me swoon! I really love [name]Alaric[/name] anyway. (It’s my husband who loves [name]Eero[/name]; I like it, but not as much as [name]Alaric[/name] or some of our other choices). I see what you mean about the [name]Eero[/name]/zero thing…though teasing is so unpredictable that I usually don’t let it rule out a name unless it’s incredibly obvious, like [name]Gaylord[/name] or [name]Dorcas[/name] or something like that.

I just thought a little boy might feel weird having been named after his grandmother, instead of his grandfather. It’s one of those situations where it’s more socially acceptable for a female to be named after a male than the other way around. I never know when to challenge the double-standard and when to let someone else do it!

mam, [name]Marshall[/name] is not a bad suggestion for our family; it’s my great-uncle’s name (on the other side of the family) and he’s terrific!