Sunday! But I already used it for other child’s middle

So we have less than a month before our FINAL baby is due. As she is our 5th girl and all our girls have 2 middle names, we have run out of names we love. I am really into [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] DH likes it too. BUT we used [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] as second middle name for our older daughter. Her name is very long and only part of her second middle name shows up on documents.

My question is can I use [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] as new babies first name? [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it’s older sisters second middle name? Or should I just find another name? Thank u berries

Sunday is a great name, but I’m sure as the youngest 5 girls there will already be a lot of expectations and pressures and it may feel hard to be more individual, so I would say give her a different name that she can make her own.

If you did wind up using [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] though, I’m sure it would become more the name of the new baby and less connected to the older sister, so it would probably work out just fine, especially if it’s a name you really love

4 Likes

I have heard about a family who used [name_m]John[/name_m] as the middle name for the older brother, and then used [name_m]John[/name_m] as the first name of the younger brother. As far as I know, it is only the 2 brothers in the sibling group.

It’s not unheard of.

3 Likes

I side with @Quentin99, so I would choose a different name. What about [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] or [name_u]Sunny[/name_u]?

4 Likes

I know a family like this, except the name was [name_u]James[/name_u], a family name. The family has 4 kids and [name_u]James[/name_u] is on kids 3 (middle) and 4 (first). It’s definitely not unheard of to do this and nobody ever really comments on it. I think it would work ok, though with [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] being a less common name it might stick out slightly more, but having other kids definitely softens it a bit.

I do also know a family of four girls who all have the same middle name (that their mom also has), if that sheds some light on things. I like it.

In short: although I probably wouldn’t do this myself, I do think it’s not totally infeasible— though if it were me I’d still consider alternatives.

I don’t know, I’m on the fence about this one, sorry.

2 Likes

I completely agree with the feedback here - if you love [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], there is nothing wrong with reusing it. It’s also special that your oldest and youngest will have that connection - I say if you like it, go for it! And congratulations!!! :ribbon:

2 Likes

I’m on the fence too!

1 Like

I also know a family of all boys who have the same middle name for each of them. Though it is commonly a last name, it is being used in reference to their dad in this case.

3 Likes

It’s my 3rd girl girls second middle name. Ugh this is so hard!

1 Like

Yes I have a friend who also did this where all her kids middles are dads first name. I feel like this is different because I’m thinking of using it as a first name.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I misread that! Thank you! It is quite difficult! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you would feel upset if you didn’t use [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] on your final baby? Are there other names you love just as much for a first name?
I grew up with lots of repeated first names in my family (my brother and uncle, two cousins on the same side of my family, my SIL and I share the same same first name) so maybe that prompts me to feel that this form of a repeat within the same household is fine.

2 Likes

I caught that. I had already given my answer and responded to someone else’s reply.

1 Like

These are really good questions your asking! I def need to think about this! [name_f]My[/name_f] kids all have very unique names that are not family names so so their aren’t a lot of repeating names in my extended family.

1 Like

Is your daughter with the middle name [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] old enough to have an opinion on this?
I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal. It may seem like one to name nerds like us people on this website, but in real life I doubt she would care that her name was one of her sisters’ middle names. She’ll have her own middle names to set her apart from her sister anyway.

2 Likes

I know a family where the oldest daughter’s middle name is also the youngest daughter’s first name, so a very similar situation to you and it never bothered them. I did think it odd initially but if you like the name then I don’t think it is a problem. Also, as your oldest daughter has two middle names and the youngest will also have two middle names, then they’ll still have different names that are their own. I say go for it, your daughters will grow up to be different people so it won’t matter as much when they’re older. It’s a beautiful name as well!! However, I agree that if your oldest daughter is old enough to have an opinion then maybe talk with her and even with her younger sisters as well (if they can do so!!) as they might feel left out if the oldest and youngest share a name - but I don’t see this being a long term issue unless it particularly bothers you. Perhaps something like [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] would be a pretty alternative if you decide to go with another name… but I love [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and it sounds like a great name for you!

2 Likes

You can but I personally wouldn’t. I’d want them to have their individual names and not share it with anyone else. But if you don’t mind that, it’s probably usable.

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t reuse one of my children’s middle name as a fist name. It seems a bit weird to me. If I where one of the sisters in this case I would prefer to have my own name and not part of a sister’s name.

I think it’s a good idea to talk about it with your older daughter, maybe she doesn’t mind it and maybe she even likes it and feels honored.

Other people here have pointed out some examples of families where the kids share a name. These situations feel bit different than yours because all kids shared the name (as a middle), or because the name in question is more common than [name_f]Sunday[/name_f].

I don’t think it matters that your older daughter’s name is very long and that only part of her second middle name shows up on documents.

You could do it if you really can’t find an other name. It won’t cause big problems or anything, I suppose. Still, I don’t really recommend it.

Coming up with a new name you love must be hard for the 5th girl, all with double middle names! Good luck with your choice!

2 Likes

I’d find a new name, especially if all your girls have unusual names already, I’d feel a bit put out if mine was one that was reused.

Sunshine, [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_f]Suvi[/name_f] and [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] sprung to mind

1 Like

Prince [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Middleton have used one kid’s middle name as another’s first name.

Prince [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] & [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

If it’s good enough for them I say go for it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I agree with those who say that the name is taken.

I also agree with this. Much as I like the name [name_m]Louis[/name_m], I wasn’t a fan of the decision by the Cambridges to reuse [name_u]George[/name_u]'s middle name for [name_m]Louis[/name_m] – even though it’s a family name for them, a very popular name here in the UK, and it’s not unusual for royal family members to share names. A name used for a sibling, whether first or middle, just feels “done” to me.

I can see where you are coming from, because I absolutely love the name [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] (amazing choice for your elder daughter’s middle!) but I’m sure there is another name out there that can give you that same :heart_eyes: feeling.

I’d love to know your older children’s names, but I understand if you don’t feel comfortable sharing. Here are a few ideas that give me similar vibes to [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]…

[name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] (seconded!)
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f]
[name_u]Solstice[/name_u]
[name_u]Lumen[/name_u]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Galilee[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_u]January[/name_u]
[name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]