Sunflower names

Wild sunflowers have a very special personal meaning to me and, if possible, I would love to find a name that could connect to them in some way. :sunflower:

(For example, I once read that and alternate meaning of [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] is “flower of the field”, which I loved, but I recently looked into it more and found the translation is closer to “marsh flower.” Not quite the vibe I’m looking for.)

Can you think of or find any names that could connect to sunflowers/wildflowers/flowers of the field, etc? I’d love any and all ideas you have!

2 Likes

Maybe

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] (‘flower’)
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] (‘flower’)
[name_f]Diantha[/name_f] (‘divine flower’)
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] (‘fair flower’)
[name_f]Hana[/name_f] (‘flower, blossom’)
[name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] (‘flower’)
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u] (‘one’s own meadow’)
[name_f]Lea[/name_f] (‘meadow’)
[name_f]Ardith[/name_f] (‘flowering field’)

1 Like

I kind of love Sunflower itself as a middle!

You could also combine something meaning light/bright/etc. with something floral. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f] came to mind!

3 Likes

I looked this up not to long ago. I found that [name_f]Nanala[/name_f] is Hawaiian for sunflower.

2 Likes

Just looked up sunflower in the database. [name_f]Himari[/name_f], [name_f]Hinata[/name_f] and [name_f]Himawari[/name_f] are all Japanese for sunflower.

1 Like

Wildflower is one of my favourite whimsical middle names. I think [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] [name_u]Diaz[/name_u] using it for her baby girl has made it feel more usable too!

2 Likes

I am here for this. I also hold sunflowers close to my heart, I have considered Sunflower itself as a wild middle name.
Mirasol is another one I liked, Spanish for Sunflower :sunflower:

6 Likes

Some lovely suggestions here. I also love Sunflower as is, too. For a middle and even for a first with nickname [name_u]Sunny[/name_u].

Sunflowers are part of the daisy family, so [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is another name to consider. Also [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] and [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f].

2 Likes

Sunniva- means sun
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] -means golden and always reminds me of sunflowers
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f] - means flowery
[name_f]Zahara[/name_f] - means flower or to shine which i think is fitting for a sunflower

2 Likes

I have this issue! I absolutely love [name_f]Hinata[/name_f] but I’m worried it’s bordering on cultural appropriation

2 Likes

@Raven-1013 I worry about it too, but I don’t know everyone’s background when I post. I have decided to offer up suggestions when asked and let people decide for themselves.

2 Likes

Another vote here for Sunflower as a middle name :sunflower:

1 Like

Another one I love is [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] which means dawn/sunrise, I guess it could work if paired with a flower middle

2 Likes

Thank you for all of these wonderful suggestions!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m loving them!

1 Like

Leotie means ‘[name_u]Prairie[/name_u] flower’

Also the Tagalog name for a sunflower is Mirasol

2 Likes

It’s actually Girasol “hee-rah-soul” that is Spanish for Sunflower. I like the sound of Mirasol also though.

Yes I saw Girasol, I saw on google and wikipedia Mirasol but it’s not as commonly used as Girasol but I’m not Spanish so it could be wrong.

mirasol - annual sunflower grown for silage and for its seeds which are a source of oil; common throughout United States and much of [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u]

I think Mirasol is so pretty nn include, [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] , Me, [name_u]Sully[/name_u] (which I love on a girl)

That’s interesting. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is from Mexico, and the flowers are called Girasol down there. Maybe there’s a Spanish speaking country where they are called Mirasol?

I searched Mirasol on Google and found there’s a type of chile pepper from Mexico called Mirasol that we usually use in the dried form. I had no idea because the dried chiles have a different name altogether!

More of a stretch: [name_f]Raya[/name_f] has always seemed like a “ray of sunshine” name to me :sunflower:

1 Like

In Filipino/Tagalog Mirasol is the name for sunflower (at least according to google.