Surname for a character

I am writing a story at present but I find myself unable to name one of my characters. He is not the protagonist but an important side character. The story is period fiction; it takes place in the mid-1700s. The character I’m trying to name is British, and personality-wise he is very kind, dependable, and likable and he tries to see the best in people. He has the rank of [name_m]Colonel[/name_m] so if you suggest a name make sure it doesn’t sound bad paired with the title.

The first names I’m considering are:

[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to suggest another, though. My main problem is the last name however; I’m fairly sure I’ll choose whatever of these first names goes with the last name I choose. I’d really appreciate any help, thanks for reading!

I might need to mention more details. I want a last name which sounds fairly old-fashioned but also familiar, and also it should sound distinctly English. I think it would sound best if it were longer than one syllable - about 2 to 4 would work best. I’d like it to fit with the character, so nothing too stuffy-sounding.

[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Aston[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_u]Sinclaire[/name_u]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Lamar[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Allard[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] Bannerman
[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Courtenay[/name_u]

you can mix and match the names however you like of course, these are just the ones I’m partial to. Also if you’re just looking for english surnames between 2 and 4 syllables try [=english&type_syllables=1&operator_syllables=isany&value_syllables[]=2&value_syllables[]=3&value_syllables[]=4&langoperator_syllables=is&lang_syllables[]=english"]here](All Surnames - Behind the Name[)

Some last name suggestions:

Dillinger
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Winters[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Gallagher[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_u]Campbell[/name_u]