Swan

I’ve had it on my list and I do really like it especially because swans have a positive meaning for me. Perhaps the [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] association is a bit hard to shake off. It would definitely be gorgeous as a middle name or even as a first name with a longer, ultra feminine middle name that gives the little girl lots of options e.g. [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] or [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Swan[/name_f]. It seems simple, graceful and serene.

It’s pretty popular for both sexes (especially boys) in [name_f]France[/name_f], usually spelt Swann, after the character in [name_m]Proust[/name_m]’s In Search of Lost Time.

1 Like

I live in [name_f]France[/name_f] where [name_f]Swan[/name_f] (also spelled Swann) is actually very common. In fact it’s a unisex name here which is more often used for boys! I know many boys and young men named [name_f]Swan[/name_f], I have only met one female [name_f]Swan[/name_f], but she was the first [name_f]Swan[/name_f] I met and I loved her name! Also, as an American, the name feels quite feminine to me—it’s on my list for a girl, in fact I’ve posted about it here in the past. I’m not sure whether I’m brave enough to use it as a first, but definitely for a middle name!

2 Likes

Swan is actually quite pretty. With names like [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Sian[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u], I can see [name_f]Swan[/name_f] working. Swans have a certain elegance about them too which helps it work

My first reaction was no but when you compared it to [name_u]Wren[/name_u] it got me thinking, why not? If you love it then use it. If you’re not quite sure, maybe as a middle.

Swan is very pretty! I have [name_f]Swanhilde[/name_f] on my list (with [name_f]Swan[/name_f] as a nickname) which is my overdramatic way to the name. It’s very sweet - I definitely feel like you could use it.

Thank you @katinka and @Halloween_Jacqueline. I had no idea it was so popular in [name_f]France[/name_f] and amazing to hear that it is a unisex name too. I tend to like unisex names for boys, but I must admit to preferring [name_f]Swan[/name_f] for girls more than boys in this case, even though I do like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for boys.

1 Like

I have a bit of hesitancy towards using a name with such specific imagery behind it. I’m short and rather sturdy, not remotely [name_f]Swan[/name_f]-ish, [name_u]Willow[/name_u]-y, etc. It would be absurd for me to be named such.
That being said, if you either don’t care or anticipate birthing a graceful, elegant child, I do think [name_f]Swan[/name_f] is pretty!

1 Like

I love it! [name_f]Swan[/name_f] is a new addition to my middle name list but would work well for a first name too. elegant, simple, distinctive in sound, and conjures lovely imagery for me. plus it would sound so beautiful with a ton of other names (someone mentioned [name_f]Odette[/name_f] which would be absolutely stunning!) Odette Swan or or Swan Odette… wow💖

1 Like

Swan is beautiful for a girl!

1 Like

There was a girl named [name_f]Swan[/name_f] a year behind me in High School. I think it is useable.

1 Like

[name_f]Swan[/name_f] would be so adorable! I would probably keep it in the middle name spot, but it is indeed a very interesting choice! :swan:
I always found it a gorgeous surname! [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Swann and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] [name_f]Swan[/name_f] are my first associations and I always considered their names very melodic, beautiful, feminine and elegant!

1 Like