Syllable Patterns

[name]Do[/name] you worry about syllable patterns with your top names? What syllable patterns do you think are best? I know 2-2 syllable patterns sound nice sometimes, but would 1-1 or 3-3 be okay too? Does it just depend on the names?

I don’t worry about syllables. If the name sounds ok, then I don’t care what number of syllables each name has.

Whether or not names with the same number of syllables sound ok or not really depends on the names. Like, for example, [name]Haven[/name] [name]Brielle[/name] sounds good even though both have 2 syllables, but [name]Haven[/name] [name]Callie[/name] doesn’t (at least [name]IMO[/name]). Generally I don’t like how names with 1 syllable sound together because they sound choppy, nor do I generally like names with 3 syllables together because they tend to sound sing songy to me. It really just depends on the names though.

I don’t really worry about syllables, either. I avoid 2-2-2 syllable flow like the plague, as I have a two syllable surname, and I think something like [name]Anna[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Olive[/name] [name]Roberts[/name] sounds so boring, but otherwise I’m pretty open to whatever combination I like. Most of my family names are 1 syllable, so that doesn’t usually happen. :slight_smile:

I’ve found that I’m really attracted to 2-3-2-2 for boys and 3-3-1-2 for girls, a lot of my combos are that way, but I didn’t intentionally look for a certain type of flow.

I like 2 syllable first names with 1 syllable surnames, which is great for me because my surname is only 1 syllable! :slight_smile:
I read in a book once that the character was named because her father wanted her to have a ‘strong 3 syllable name’ and the idea’s just stuck!

e.g. [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Katie[/name] [name]Jones[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] Woods, [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Reed[/name] - they all sound very friendly to me!

This is how I feel, too. I do notice trends in my own preferences. I usually like 1,3,2 or 3,1,2, but I’m not set in stone on those. The only names I feel don’t sound “right” are the ones that are too long.