Tabitha and Jemima - good sister combo?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

Thought I’d start another poll now we’ve got [name]Jemima[/name] as girls name! So to match [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name].

Which middle name?
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
(mainly thanks to susans suggestions!)

Thoughts on all of these?

Thanks, [name]Liz[/name] [name]Moss[/name]

[name]Tabitha[/name] is very pretty.
I cant get past Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] and her syrup…

what about [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] ?? this is a lovely sister combo…

Sorry kinda can’t get [name]Jemima[/name] out my head now! Never heard of the syrup until now! Which of the mn’s do you think goes best?

I think they make a great sibset! I’ve never heard of the syrup brand, but I guess that depends on where you live.

I love all of these:
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Moss[/name]

good luck ! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry for this little rant.

As Australians we have no connection whatsoever with the [name]Jemima[/name] hangup and it disappoints me no end to see such a beautiful name avoided all because of a long ago syrup name, (of course I realise that the picture has been updated because I understand that it is still sold), but tell me why is it such a problem? I can only think that it is not a name issue but something deeper. Surely in 2010 we can start using this name again without the connotations of the past?

On topic

I think that [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] make a stunning sister set. [name]Evelyn[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] appeal the most with [name]Lucy[/name] in 3rd place.

Well said rollo!
I love the name [name]Jemima[/name] and agree that [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] are a fab sister combo!
I love [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]…

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Rollo[/name],

While I think it’s great that Australians don’t connect the name [name]Jemima[/name] to Aunt [name]Jemima[/name], the syrup icon, I think it’s important to remember that people in different countries have different (and very strong) associations with different names. (For example, when someone mentioned “[name]Devon[/name],” you were reminded of a sausage, and I’m sure there are other names you associate with other Australian products.)

In the U.S., I think it’s safe to say that [name]Jemima[/name], as pretty a name as it is, is still very closely connected to the syrup for a lot of people. As you theorized, the issue goes even deeper though, as the Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] symbol was a slave, which many people find offensive in the U.S… Yes, Aunt [name]Jemima[/name]'s image has been updated, but the character’s history remains.

Here’s an article: http://thefactbox.blogspot.com/2006/12/aunt-jemima.html

I do think [name]Jemima[/name] is a wonderful name, but I thought I’d explain the syrup (and slavery) connection from my personal view from the U.S…

That said, if you’re not in the U.S., the name has completely different associations, which is great! (And who knows…Maybe [name]Jemima[/name] will be revived in the U.S. one of these days!)

To the original poster: I can definitely see [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] as sisters (I think they’re both amazing, spunky names), but [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is hard for me to say because of the final M in [name]Jemima[/name] and the M in your last name. (This may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.) :slight_smile:

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: Because [name]Jemima[/name] ends in an A and [name]Evelyn[/name] begins with a vowel, this doesn’t flow very well to me.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I love [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name], but [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Moss[/name] have the same ending sound.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I think this is spunky!

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I think of hazel-colored moss…

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I think this is very pretty…

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I love [name]Pearl[/name], but I think a longer middle (that isn’t a noun, like moss), would work better.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I think this is sweet!

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Moss[/name]: I like this, too, but it’s sounds S heavy to me…

My favorites are [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Moss[/name], [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Moss[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Moss[/name]. :slight_smile:

Some more middles you may like:

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lisette[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lenore[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Moss[/name] (a lot of M, though!) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Jill[/name], I appreciate your explanation. I don’t understand the nuances of culture in any country except my own, but I am keen to learn.

In the case of [name]Devon[/name], any child with that name would have been an easy target for teasing here in the playground, so that was what was foremost in my mind.

I hope that any child who was named [name]Jemima[/name] in the U.S. would not be the object of teasing because of her name; and I hope one day that [name]Jemima[/name] can be enjoyed once more by those in the U.S.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Frances[/name].

I live in [name]America[/name] and I’ve used/heard of Aunt [name]Jemima[/name]'s syrup but I dont associate the syrup with the name; [name]Jemima[/name] is beautiful and I dont think too many people would notice or care.

You know I live in the US as well, and could easily get past the syrup association. The only thing with these names together is that it sounds like names out of a [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name] book. In fact, I googled it to see if they both were…in fact they are.

I guess that means they go together nicely, they’re just very [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. ; )

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Yes they both are [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name] names aren’t they! - hadn’t really twigged that one until now…

I’d never heard of the syrup before I started these polls (and got quite a lot of abuse from people on a different forum for apparently “daring to suggest giving my daughter a name with possible racial connotations” in a country I don’t live in!)

Think I’m leaning towards [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Moss[/name]…

[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]…?
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name] [name]James[/name]/[name]Francis[/name]…?

What do you think?

I love [name]Daniel[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Moss[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name]. I, personally dont like [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Francis[/name] [name]Moss[/name] and dont think it works well with [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name] and Congrats!

[quote=“rollo”]

Sorry for this little rant.

As Australians we have no connection whatsoever with the [name]Jemima[/name] hangup and it disappoints me no end to see such a beautiful name avoided all because of a long ago syrup name, (of course I realise that the picture has been updated because I understand that it is still sold), but tell me why is it such a problem? I can only think that it is not a name issue but something deeper. Surely in 2010 we can start using this name again without the connotations of the past?

On topic

I think that [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] make a stunning sister set. [name]Evelyn[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] appeal the most with [name]Lucy[/name] in 3rd place.[/quote]

Very few people in the U.S. want to use the name [name]Jemima[/name] because of the syrup brand. It is still sold in every supermarket. If Americans hear the name [name]Jemima[/name], we think of Aunt [name]Jemima[/name], and then we think of syrup. Then we think about a bunch of pancakes. It just doesn’t work for us. But I am so happy that the name [name]Jemima[/name] is considered lovely in many other countries. It is an adorable name.

I love the name [name]Jemima[/name]. I assume you don’t live in the U.S., so you don’t have to worry about the syrup problem. [name]Glad[/name] to hear you love a lot of the mn’s I thought of. I am going to star my fave name combos on the list above.

As soon as I saw the title of your post I knew you probably weren’t American. :wink: The “racial connotations” come from times when slavery was used. The terms “Aunt [name]Jemima[/name]” and “Uncle [name]Tom[/name]” are/were used in a derogatory way to talk about black men and women who were seen as being servile to whites and wanting to protect the interests of white people. I’ve heard “Uncle [name]Tom[/name]” (usually followed by the N-word) used within the last few years, but I haven’t heard Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] used that way, probably because it’s more closely associated with pancakes now.

I do like [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] with [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name].

I am with you on your choice of [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] it is a lovely vintage name with a modern feel and so very feminine. The nn’s are great too eg, [name]Jem[/name], [name]Jemma[/name], [name]Mim[/name], [name]Mimi[/name] and [name]Mia[/name] at a pinch.

I like [name]Daniel[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] as sibset names.

Best wishes.

Funnily enough, I’ve always put [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] together in a sibling set in my mind (I’m one of those name geeks who ‘matches’ names up in sibsets in my head lol). They are fabulous together.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] win my vote for best flow, style and match with [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] :slight_smile:

Righty o! Decision made!
It’ll be:
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
or
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name] [name]James[/name]!
Thanks for the help everyone!

I like [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Pearl[/name].

I am Brittish and I have never even heard of [name]Jemima[/name]'s syrup and I think the connection with [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name]'s [name]Jemima[/name] Puddle duck is errelevent. Also in diffrent countries names have diffrent meaning my mn is Matlida is Australia it is very significant but in [name]England[/name] it is just old.