Tacky or not tacky?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all, I’m a mother to seven, oldest being ten and youngest will be born in late [name_u]July[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] second child’s name is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but mainly goes by Lizzie/Liz. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband wants to name this upcoming son [name_u]Eli[/name_u], which I like, but I’m wondering if this is too close to Liz’s name.

What do you all think?

1 Like

On paper, they look similar but they sound very different so I think it’s okay to use both [name_u]Eli[/name_u] & [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], especially since you call [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “Lizzie” instead of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. :relaxed: [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

4 Likes

I personally wouldn’t do it. Your Elizabeth might choose to go by her full name when she’s older, or even a different nickname like Ellie or Ella. I wouldn’t risk Eli.

7 Likes

I think they’re too close, personally.

2 Likes

They’re a bit close for me, sorry

1 Like

I do think they’re too close, unfortunately. As PP mentioned, [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] may want to go by [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as she gets older. I wouldn’t risk using [name_u]Eli[/name_u] for a sibling.

If you like [name_u]Eli[/name_u], perhaps you’d like a name with similar vibes? What about:
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_m]Esau[/name_m]
[name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Oren[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] - still might be too similar to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_u]Liam[/name_u]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u]

I think they’re too close.

i’d say go for it, they’re different sounding as elizabeth is e-liz while eli is e-lie so i think it’s fine!

you could always go with elias (a-lie-us) and call him eli, i don’t think it’s too far of a stretch as a nn

or even elliot could work as a longer version for eli

1 Like

[name_u]Elias[/name_u] maybe? Nickname [name_u]Eli[/name_u]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Elijah[/name_u]? These still may feel too close to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] though?

I think its fine. Does your daughter think its ok? They sound different enough and are totally different lengths. They don’t rhyme. Unless it bugs you I don’t think its a big deal.

I know an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] who started going by [name_u]Eli[/name_u] in 6th grade and still goes by this nickname over 20 years later.

It’s a little too close for me.

Although I personally find them close , I don’t think it’s a deal breaker if it is a name you love!

As siblings they will each have their own identities, friends and eventually their own families.

If [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] is okay with it and it’s a name you love I would use it

Echoing those who’ve said it’s too close! I also want to add - what if [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] decides one day that she wants to go by a tomboyish or gender-neutral nickname? Eli’s the only one I can think of for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (apart from [name_u]Kit[/name_u], god bless nameberry)

I’d say you’re better off looking for something more distinct from your daughter’s name.

I feel left as [name_u]Eli[/name_u] it’s close but lengthening it to [name_u]Elijah[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] nn [name_u]Eli[/name_u] seems to differentiate it a bit.

I know a family with three children Elisha, Elijah and Elizabeth. If you like Eli then go with it. If Lizzie doesn’t like the nn when she’s older there is always Lisa, Liza, Lil, Liz, Beth or Betty.

I wouldn’t use it personally. It’s just a rule in my name book to not repeat letters. But after seven I suppose it would be difficult.

I think its fine and could always spell [name_m]Ely[/name_m] or Elye. [name_u]Or[/name_u] could use [name_m]Elyjah[/name_m] or Elyshah. But [name_u]Eli[/name_u] seems fine to me.