Talk me into my own short list—Need opinions on our girl names!

We’re at that point where we have a short list that we like, but nothing seems perfect. We’ve considered SO many names, it’s like they’re all blurring together. The right name is probably on our list, but we’re just not sure which one! Please share some thoughts/opinions/anything to help us narrow it down!

Our criteria:
—short (long last name)
—feminine but not frilly
—absolutely unambiguous pronunciation, easy spelling
—no top 10

Eve: probably our top choice, but it feels a bit…weighty? Too many Adam and Eve jokes?
Phoebe: somehow I only like this name when I’m pregnant, so I worry I’d regret it
Leona: a bit long, a bit too vintage
Thea: ambiguous pronunciation kind of ruins it
Eva: probably would be our top choice, but this has 3 potential pronunciations and we just can’t get over that. So we should eliminate it but just can’t quite lol

Runners up: Zoe, Jane, Eliza, Lyra, Nora, Lydia, Amelia, Thora, Ada, Aviva, Vivian, Elaine, Susannah, Esme, Juno, Annora, Leah, Bridget. We probably won’t go with one of these, but since our short list isn’t quite satisfying us, they’re still hovering around in the background.

FWIW, if we were expecting a boy it would be Miles, Calvin, or Ronan.

1 Like

I think if the name [name_m]Adam[/name_m] is passable without notice [name_f]Eve[/name_f] should get the same over time.

I like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] better than [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and it kinda seems like you don’t care for the other names as much, though you like the “EE” sound as a common factor. So I’m going to suggest [name_f]Ena[/name_f] or [name_f]Irene[/name_f] to you.

1 Like

Thanks!! We actually discussed both of those (we’ve talked about so.many.names)— my husband eliminated both, unfortunately. The preference for the [name_f]Eve[/name_f] names is really him (and actually our 3 year old)—I like all of them equally, which doesn’t help at all, and he likes all the [name_f]Eve[/name_f] variants. At least someone prefers something, but he can’t pick between [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Eva[/name_f] because of the concerns listed above, and he likes the others enough to consider them seriously.

I definitely see and agree with your point about [name_m]Adam[/name_m] and Eve…we just don’t want a name that will feel like a burden or a running joke. Since none of our other names run the same risk it’s hard to commit 100% to [name_f]Eve[/name_f], I think.

Would he go with [name_f]Evie[/name_f] or [name_f]Evette[/name_f]?

He’d do [name_f]Evie[/name_f] as a nickname but not on the birth certificate. No to [name_f]Evette[/name_f]. To be fair to him (he’s not THAT difficult), I agree on both! [name_f]Evette[/name_f] is a bit too frilly for us. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] would be a better bet, but I don’t love it and I know too many. [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] is cool, but he thinks it’s too weird lol! Between the two of us, we’ve eliminated every possible variation of [name_f]Eve[/name_f] other than [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

Awww I was gonna suggest [name_f]Evanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Evaine[/name_f]. But I also like weird and old english sounding names.

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] still gets my vote in that case. Jokes be damned…as somebody who had to endure A lizard’s breath as a nickname. One learns to live with it and develop a biting wit.

1 Like

I know, we’re difficult! The problem is we don’t actually like a lot of the same names. I tried SO hard for [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] and [name_f]Evaine[/name_f], but he just doesn’t like them, and I know that he’s still a bit sad that I won’t go for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. So finding names we both actually like was a huge chore to begin with and now we’re just overthinking the (very) few names that we can agree on. The only reason we’re in such good shape with boy names is we had a boy last time, and we did the whole process then. So OF COURSE this time it’s a girl—can’t have it be too easy!

Good to have a vote for [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! I do feel like kids will get teased about something inevitably, so maybe it isn’t such a huge deal…

I think people tend to be more cautious with girl’s everything in general. Good luck decision making and congrats.

I love Jane from your runner-up list.

It’s short, feminine (and not frilly), easy spelling and pronunciation, and has hit that sweet spot where it is still instantly recognizable but isn’t wildly popular.

I also think Jane is timeless and simple but elegant (if that makes sense)

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Eve[/name_f] :orange_heart:

I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is such an elegant understated name that deserves more usage. There’s a reason why she’s your top choice and why she’s also a top choice for me it’s because she’s soooo lovely. I get the religious connotations could be weighty but honestly I actually do not think they are a big issue if names like [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] can be used with [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] verging into the popularity camp why can’t [name_f]Eve[/name_f]? [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] & [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] feel more weighty to me. I also agree about [name_m]Adam[/name_m] if [name_m]Adam[/name_m] can be used on the regular why not [name_f]Eve[/name_f]? I think when naming a child you can overthink and find yourself going around in circles it’s very hard but I think you’ve found your name with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] but need to stop over analysing the religious connotations I honestly don’t think it’s a big issue.

Best of luck

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is my favourite from your list. I don’t think it’s over religious or tease-worthy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - such a classic, Greek name - but if you think you’ll have regrets, I completely understand not wanting to go there.

[name_f]Eva[/name_f] is very pretty and feminine. I’ve only ever said and heard it pronounced “ee-va”, so I would not have been concerned about mispronunciation. What other pronunciations are there??

I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] from your runner-up list.

1 Like

I’d go with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. I know lots of little Evie’s in the UK and the whole [name_m]Adam[/name_m] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f] thing has never been mentioned when I’m around anyway

1 Like

You say ‘talk me into my own short list.’ I’d love to, particularly into [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and particularly with a long surname making a beautiful complete name. I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is smart, distinctive, looks as well as sounds great, eternal… and having the [name_f]Evie[/name_f] alternative should see your daughter through any number of stages.
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] is equally lovely. I prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f] with a long surname. [name_u]Zoe[/name_u] is my choice of your secondary list.

1 Like

EVE IS PERFECT!!! (PS who makes [name_m]Adam[/name_m] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] jokes-) [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is also nice, and I don’t see any teaseability either

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] gets my vote - it’s my longest standing favourite on my list. It’s classic, easy to spell and say, feminine but not frilly, equally suits a child or an adult, is classy but not pretentious, has no pronunciation issues, has pleasing symmetry and everyone knows it yet it’s not top of the charts.
The biblical origins and (admittedly strong) associations don’t put me off at all, but this is a very personal thing. I actually think it’s a bit of a rebellion to use it regardless of that. Men have always tried to blame women for all the worlds ills (Incidentally I also like Pandora).
What matters is whether it bothers you enough not to use it, and only you can decide. I think it’s beautiful. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice from your list would be [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] but I think you’re wise to weigh up whether it’s just a passing fancy if you only like it when expecting.

2 Likes

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]: [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is sleek, stylish and strong. With the popularity of [name_f]Evie[/name_f], I don’t think the [name_m]Adam[/name_m] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] association is too big a deal. The [name_f]Eve[/name_f] I knew had no issue with it and I also knew siblings [name_m]Adam[/name_m] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and no one said anything/noticed until i pointed it out (not in a negative way, just an observation) [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is wonderful

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]: [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is bubbly and pretty and strong but it doesn’t feel right for you

[name_f]Leona[/name_f]: strong and kind of regal. Quite nice but it is longer

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]: [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is bright and bubbly, sweet and fresh and I’m not sure where you are, but in the UK, I think most people would pronounce it thee-uh - at least that’s how every one I’ve met has pronounced it

[name_f]Eva[/name_f]: love [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and would instinctively pronounce it Ee-vuh. Again, i think it totally depends where you are - how do most people around you pronounce it? still, I’d eliminate it and go with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] if you’re worried

1 Like

I thought I’d offer some positive comments on your short list, which reflect my genuine feelings or opinions on them ~

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is a stylish classic, a total [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_m]Black[/name_m] Dress name: you can’t go wrong with this timeless stunner. She’s elegant and strong. She’s the original but not overused these days.

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is the ultimate bright and happy name! She’s quirky and one of a kind, so few names share a ‘phoe’ beginning or ‘be’ ending. She also sounds so sweet and endearing.

[name_f]Leona[/name_f] is elegant and cool. I love the idea of [name_u]Leo[/name_u] as a nn. Thread syllables but only 5 letters - she’s easy and intuitive to spell.

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] is one of my favourite names of all time. She’s incredibly well known yet never overused. She’s unequivocally feminine yet totally avoids frilly.

[name_f]Eva[/name_f] has that excellent quality of an ‘a’ ending that doesn’t contribute to frilliness. Like [name_f]Eve[/name_f], she’s a classic. So intuitive to spell. She also has a cool namesake in the form of the robot with an eco mission in the movie WALL-E!

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Eva[/name_f] would be mispronounced a lot, at least where I live.

1 Like

Thanks SO MUCH everyone! It’s really nice to see all the [name_f]Eve[/name_f] positivity. Maybe we really are overthinking [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and should just lean into it.

As far as Eva—where we live the eh-va pronunciation is very common, so there would be a lot of ee-va/eh-va confusion, and given how popular [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is, I’ve heard about Evas being called ay-va too. If we lived in a different area, I’d be less worried. But in our particular area the pronunciation of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is very up in the air, and we really don’t want to burden her with being “ee-va not eh-va” for her whole childhood. Especially if she’s a shy kid, constantly correcting people can be stressful. If we ONLY liked [name_f]Eva[/name_f] we’d just do it, but since we like other names we’re reluctant to go there.

I also really appreciate the feedback on [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Leona[/name_f], and [name_f]Thea[/name_f]! Lots to think about. I think we can try to eliminate one or both between [name_f]Leona[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] to tighten up the list a bit.

I ALSO appreciate the suggestion that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is probably the strongest off our runner up list, and probably bears revisiting. Lots to discuss with the DH when I can next get him to think about names!!

Thanks so much again!

2 Likes

I agree with others that [name_f]Eve[/name_f] fits your criteria and feels the best option for you. From your runners up list I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_u]Zoe[/name_u] would work well. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my personal favourite. Good luck!

1 Like