Talk me into

I am still having an immensely hard time letting go of a boys name I have loved since forever, in favour of boys names that both my partner and I like.
I guess this doesn’t sound like an issue as we both like the alternative name options. The difficulty I have is, I struggle sometimes to think that these names could ultimately be the name I see on a future (3rd) son of mine. I don’t know whether that has anything to do with the names that we both like or because I am unable to let go of the name I truely want and love.

The name I love is [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. I love the sound, the nickname options. The fact that it sounds dignified and literary. I have just always envisioned a 3rd little boy to have this name with the nickname [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m].

The alternatives are
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
I really like these names, both of which will feel cohesive with my other boys names ( as will Lawrence). I just don’t love them in the same way that I love [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] 🥲

Whilst I love the name my partner really, really isn’t into the name. His reasons are it sounds posh and it reminds him of a road name ( yep random reasons right). Although, strangely he is ok with it being a middle name :thinking:

Selfishly, I feel like I will have massive name regret, whereas I think once a future son has a name, my partner will just learn to like it? If that makes sense.

For those who are used to my ramblings on here :rofl: my partner had more say in the name of our second born, which although is a gorgeous name. I did have some name regret over as it wasn’t my first choice. I feel like it’s history repeating itself.

I therefore feel like it’s only fair that I push? For the name I want still 🥲:grimacing::sweat_smile: ( don’t judge)

So I guess what I am asking is help/talk me into/encourage me to love the alternative names we have.

For those who are not familiar. [name_f]My[/name_f] older boys are Zàchary Geôrge and Alexànder Thèo. ( Accents for privacy)

The good news is… We can agree on a girl’s name :rofl:

And of course this is all speculative but we are TTC from the end of the month so it’s exciting nevertheless.
I’m not looking for any name recommendations as these are definitely the final 3.

And thank you in advance for any feedback!

1 Like

You are the one who spent 15 days on Nameberry reading and thinking about names. Your opinion matters :grin:

3 Likes

I think that you should at the very least be able to use [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a middle name.
I do love [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] but I can’t really tell you not to push for your favorite name when your partner got to pick his favorite last time.
Maybe your partner could pick the middle if you get [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]?
I think if nothing else you should get [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a middle and still get to call him [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m] even if it’s just your pet name for him.

1 Like

I think you should try to talk him into Lawrence since last time he was able to push for his fav as well
And imo Lawrence goes the best as a first for your boys

1 Like

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s mean to really persuade or push a name that partner just isn’t that into much?
Haha.
I feel guilty but at the same time I think I should get more of a say. :blush:Plus it’s a perfectly nice name so it’s not like I am asking him to like a horrible name. Most people who I have mentioned the name too have only ever had positive response to the name.

1 Like

I don’t think you are obligating him to like the name, you are just asking him to give another thought about it
Im sure that if you did the same thing last time he is ready to return the favor
And after all you are on this site because you love names and having two kids names with something you don’t absolutely love is exactly something you wouldn’t like as a name lover

1 Like

I think I could learn to love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] in the same way my partner could learn to like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] lmao. I’ll try that logic out on him :rofl: I’m wondering if I said he could pick whatever middle he wants he might let me. I think it’s hard letting go of a name you love. It really is.

2 Likes

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] is all HP
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] has pronunciation confusion

I love [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] for you!!! Sadly it’s ruined for me due to about 12 bad associations but it has a very nice sound :grin:

@ethelmary What do YOU like about your name?

1 Like

I don’t mind the HP association to be honest. He was a good character. And I kind of only see him as a minor character. It’s not like a [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] or a [name_m]Hagrid[/name_m] lol.
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] in the UK is 99.9% pronounced E-ly-us. Which is the pronounciation I prefer. But I do see what you mean.

1 Like

First off, [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is an AMAZING name and it goes so well with your two sons’ names. [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] match stylistically with their names too, but [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] does feel like the perfect fit of the three because it’s longer like Zàchary and Alexànder. In fact, something like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] would be perfect, since your sons have shorter middles too!

I think it’s worth trying to get your partner to reconsider [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. To make it seem less posh and more friendly to your partner, maybe try to find some examples of famous Lawrences (from history, pop culture, books/film, etc.). Seeing the name on different types of people may help him feel more comfortable with it. Hopefully, in the time from ttc and pregnancy you can help your partner come around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think if I leave lots of post it notes around the house in various places I could engrain it onto his subconscious :rofl:

I agree that [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is longer like their names which makes me happy. And I have in fact considered [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Eli[/name_u].

1 Like

Totally! You guys could also do some exercises like practicing signing greeting cards with everyone’s name and seeing how each of the names fits with the rest of the family. If your partner can see firsthand how well it compliments your family and starts seeing the name in practice more, that might help! I really think if he could get past the “posh” sound of the name, he may come around.

1 Like

He is very stubborn. Honestly at this rate would just be easier if we have a girl!
Although, I happen to feel very strongly our third would be a another boy.
I know that my eldest loves the name Lawrence/Lawrie for a little boy so I think me and the boys could club together and get to him that way hahaha. I reckon he could cave. I also think deep down he doesn’t mind the name [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] I just know that he doesn’t love it. Well I won’t lose hope yet. :blush:

1 Like

This is definitely a tough situation! :yellow_heart: [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a great name–as are [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], but it’s completely understandable to feel attached to your favorite! On the one hand, if your partner got more say in your second son’s name, it does feel like it’s your turn to have a bit more sway on this decision. On the other hand, I think there’s a difference between one partner picking their own first choice from a list of agreed-upon names (as it sounds like your partner did last time, but correct me if I’m wrong!), and picking a name that the other parent truly doesn’t like. I really hear your fears about name regret, though, and can absolutely understand wanting to avoid that. The idea of not using an all-time favorite is painful. Does using [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as your potential son’s middle feel at all satisfying to you, or not so much? What if it’s his middle, but you call him [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m] as a pet name/nickname? Of course, I hope for your sake that your partner will come around and you’ll get your [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] “Lawrie”! :yellow_heart: [name_m]Just[/name_m] thinking through possible alternatives, just in case. I wish I had a better idea for you! For what it’s worth, since you asked for a bit of convincing, I do really like your other choices as well. I especially love [name_u]Elias[/name_u] with your boys’ names–I feel like it shares the same warm, familiar, timeless vibe. And since it sounds like you like nicknames (?), [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is a wonderful one and feels pretty perfect with Zách & Aléx if you use those for your older boys. Good luck!!

1 Like

I think you should keep [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] on the table. It’s the one you love and if your partner got more of a say last time, I think it’s fair you get more of a say this time. Perhaps he could get full control over the middle name?

Perhaps he’ll feel differently when the baby is actually conceived? The baby might just feel like a [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]?

That said, [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] are gorgeous

1 Like

Thanks @dandy_orchid I hear what you are saying about [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m] being a pet name as what @whatchamacallit suggested too, but I don’t think it would catch on in our family. So it’s not so much of an option unfortunately.

I should feel satisfied with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] being a middle name but it doesn’t really do much for me as the middle name because I guess we rarely use our middle names, so it would be a bit forgotten.
I think he would say he just really doesn’t like the name but I feel like he is saying that because there are other options that I like and which he likes, if this makes sense? So I don’t think he sees the problem?
How we came to pick Alexànders name was a similiar sort of story. We had names we liked but I originally wanted [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] and wish we went for that and in the end I was heavily swayed by him and his family to use Alexànder and when he was born I didn’t think he suited his name. I also have an issue with his nickname (Alex) as I originally wanted [name_m]Xander[/name_m] as his nickname but only [name_u]Alex[/name_u] caught on, so I found that disappointing to say the least.
Alexànder only started to look like his name as he got older and even now I still don’t feel that great about his name. ( I like it, I just don’t love it)

So for me, ths time round, I want to be able to say ’ I love his name’ I guess that is what is important to me. This would echo my feelings towards the name we picked for our Zàchary. I never second-guessed his name or deliberated it.
I do agree that [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is the second best fit, it’s biblical like the boys names and the nickname [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is very cohesive with my other boys names. So I do agree with you there. I think I won’t lose hope yet on the name [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].

Thanks @Greyblue I’m glad you like the other names too.
I think that is definitely worth asking, about having the say on the middle name.

2 Likes

I think it’s only fair that your opinion holds more sway this time since he and his family made the decision last time. Honestly, I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Especially if he’s given complete freedom with the middle name.
It would be different if he had a horrible association with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] or something but that’s not the case.

1 Like

I understand your dilemma and how frustrating it could be. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a very handsome name and goes well with your boys. However, so does [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] (Cedric [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is divine), and I do think it’s important to recognize that the partners of us name lovers should have every bit as much of a say if they want. It’s equally their child. I constantly see on here “it’s your baby, go with what you love” which I disagree with for a number of reasons, but one of those is because the partner seems to be completely left out of the conversation. I would never choose a name my husband wasn’t keen on, and I don’t believe he would do that to me either. All that said, a healthy discussion about why you like certain names is always appropriate and should be encouraged. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t turn it into a sneaky persuasion/begging for only what you want kind of thing. :wink:

1 Like

I think that if he truly doesn’t like Lawrence, you should at least use it as a middle name. Cedric Lawrence sounds great!

If you’re not in love with your other options, try find some new names you love as much or more as Lawrence, if e won’t change his mind.

I live in the U.K. and pronounce it ellie-us.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I think it’s a difficult one because I think one of us is just going to get the name we want as a first name spot. There are other names we like but what is really important to me is how the third name will sound in the sibset. All three names need to feel cohesive to me and he agrees with that too. I don’t like siblings to have different styles/vibes in their names. This is why naming a third and last is so agonising lol :exploding_head:
For instance, to give you an example, he likes [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]. I like [name_m]Alfred[/name_m]. But does he want Alfred… No lol ‘it should just be alfie’ he is incredibly stubborn and we have different tastes. I wouldn’t even say he has a particular naming style either as some names I think really wouldn’t be his cuppa tea, he happens to like? Names like Benedict.?!
As it stands he has said to me if [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a name I really like then he will agree to it. I don’t think he is overly happy but he understands my love for it.
I did suggest that he could have free reign over the middle name and at first he wasn’t so receptive but he has recently suggested [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] and he smiled and likes this option so I guess he is feeling more receptive towards the name(s)
I do feel a little guilty now, in the sense that he isn’t blown away by the name. But he did pick our youngest name ( in which I wasn’t totally convinced of) so I feel like I do get more of the sway this time.
I also feel I would resent any of the other name choices ( which I like) as I know what I really wanted, was [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].

1 Like