Talk me out of Emmaleigh?

(Mine was too. I miss my kindergarten teacher; she was the best. [name_m]Just[/name_m] the right mic of play & learning for a bunch of 4-6 year olds.)

Emma [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] as first name middle name rather than all as one would be a far less trendy and more wearable option if your tastes don’t change. [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is clunky, will constantly be mistaken for [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and just feels like misspelling for the sake of it.

2 Likes

I know an [name_f]Emily[/name_f] nn [name_f]Emma[/name_f] (called [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] and [name_f]Em[/name_f] at various times. It works very well for her, no issues!

I think [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a lovely name— though very popular to the point of being overused— and I’m not a fan of the [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] spelling for the reasons everyone else has basically shared.

1 Like

If you really want to be talked out of it, I’ve always equated ‘leigh’ with someone trying to dislodge phlegm…

If you can’t bear to give it up altogether you could maybe use it as a middle name

That’s cute! Not something I would use though. :slight_smile: Thanks everyone!

The spelling is too complicated and looks tacky. What about [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]?

The -leigh looks tacky and kre8iv. It looks like someone took [name_f]Emmaline[/name_f] and made it yoonike.

Is it the spelling you’re wanting to be talked out of or the name altogether?

To me the spelling is what is throwing me off. A similar spelling [name_f]Emmalie[/name_f] looks slightly more cleaned up.

There is always [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emme[/name_f], [name_f]Emersyn[/name_f], [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Elliette[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f],[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f].

If you’re tied to the [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]. There is the possibility of keeping [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] / [name_u]Lee[/name_u] / [name_f]Leah[/name_f] as a middle. You could even use one of the above suggestion in a non weird way… like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] would be weird but [name_f]Emersyn[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] not so much but still gives you the [name_f]Em[/name_f] and [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] in a name…

Her name is going to be misspelled everywhere she goes!

Emmaleigh is unnecessary, I think it’s a trendy name but also one that’ll get laughs by other kids for being so “on brand” for a white girl, I know my generation jokes about it a lot I recommended

• Emmeline
  • Emma [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]

If you love the way it’s pronounced but hate the spelling that you need to drastically change it than I don’t think it’s the name for you! I would recommend the first name/middle name alternative and just call her by her first and middle name!

What about [name_f]Emilie[/name_f]???

1 Like

Emily was the most common girl name in [name_u]America[/name_u] and many other countries for more than a decade. Were I to cause a child to spell and clarify her name constantly, it would be because it was so obscure and unique, it was worth it. If you like [name_f]Emily[/name_f]’s classic simplicity, then let it remain just that. Simple and classic.

Emma [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] would be okay, but she will have double name clarification.

Emmaline? [name_u]Emory[/name_u]? Emmot? [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]? [name_f]Emme[/name_f]?
Best wishes!

1 Like

You don’t like [name_f]Emily[/name_f]…so just think about how similar they sound. I understand it might be hard to do that cause different spellings of names we don’t like can sound so beautiful lol but just say [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] out loud and then say [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. And maybe the like for [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] will be gone. idk.

I know it looks pretty, but the practicality isn’t there. I know a girl whose middle is [name_f]Emmalee[/name_f] and I’ve always thought how hard it would be if it were her first. [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is definitely pretty to look at, but just realize that it will be misspelled as [name_f]Emily[/name_f] probably 99.9% of the time.

Usually I try to be very respectful about all names because there are people who are named them, but since you want to be talked OUT of it, then I’m going to try.

1. -leigh pronunciation is very ambiguous to me. It could be LEE, LAY, LAEE, etc. Especially when a child is young, leigh is by no means a literal pronunciation. It would look to them something like LEG or LEAGUE. (unless you like the sound of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-leg…)

2. Practicality-wise, it is very long. [name_f]Nine[/name_f] letters, on top of the fact that it is an alternative spelling of a VERY classic name, on top of the fact that it’s hard to pronounce.

I hope this helps talk you out of it!

1 Like

Where I live, [name_f]Emily[/name_f] is almost unheard of. Maybe you just need to freshen it it by adding a hyphenated name. I have [name_f]Emily[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] on my forever list. It seems to give it a totally new look.

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Emilie[/name_f]. I now just say ‘it’s [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] with an ie not a y.’ But [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] would be annoying to continually explain the spelling

1 Like

An [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] will spend her whole life having to spell out her name for people every single day. Nobody would want that burden, don’t do that to your child. Make her life a little easier, use a standard spelling.
Also, here’s a technique to help. When picking a name, ask yourself, how would it look next to a title like, [name_m]Judge[/name_m] or Senator. Something with substance. [name_f]Emmaleigh[/name_f] is a lot of fluff.

How about [name_f]Everleigh[/name_f] instead?