Tell me girls’ names you love, but don’t think you can get away with using

What are some of your favorite girls’ names that, for whatever reason, you won’t use or don’t think you can get away with it? It doesn’t matter what the reason is. If you’re comfortable, you can share your reasoning! You are welcome to just share the names themselves, or some of the reasons, but not all. Whatever you want!

Here are a few of mine:

Sunday—For the most part, we have more traditional, classic names in our family, with a few exceptions for some of the younger kids’ names. I also worry that where I’m from, would be pronounced “sun-dy” without the a. It doesn’t really fit the style of my other favorites, and I don’t know if it would age as well as I’d want it to. It’s so sad, because I love it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Elodie—Style and aging?

Georgia—I LOVE this one but I’m a little embarrassed by a connection to the masculinization of this name that I had when I was little. (Not inappropriate or bad, just things kids think up when they’re little and playing pretend!)

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or Nora—Too similar to a very close friend’s child’s name

Saoirse—I would 100% use this, as it is one of my most favorite [name_u]Irish[/name_u] names, but I am concerned about pronunciation and spelling where I am from

Piper—Style?

Violet—A close friend used a similar name.

Story—Style and problems in school?

Riley—See [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

Eliana—Someone in my extended family has this name, though I am not biologically related to her, and I don’t see her or feel like I know her well. [name_f]My[/name_f] worry is that using this name would be weird for someone else in the family who has a stronger relationship with her. Probably overthinking it. Style? And I wouldn’t be able to use any other E names.

Frankie—Style as a stand-alone name? I only like this for a girl. The jury is still out, I may throw in a wildcard and use this! I know lots of people disagree, but I think it ages pretty well!

Your turn! Have fun!! :yellow_heart::ocean::sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Great question!

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] - my favourite [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character but it would inevitably get shortened to [name_f]Bea[/name_f] which rhymes with my surname and sounds very silly :smiling_face_with_tear:

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - my best friend’s choice for a girl is [name_u]Florence[/name_u]

[name_f]Innogen[/name_f] - vastly prefer to [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] but it would forever get spelled with an M and it would be too annoying

[name_f]Rosalba[/name_f] - one of our closest friends has a [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- name and is known as [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], so this one will have to go in the middle spot if I want to use it despite being very meaningful to me

[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] - the meaning ‘bear’ has significance for me but I don’t think most people would get past the [name_f]Disney[/name_f] villain connotations especially with the new live action film

3 Likes

[name_f]Wendy[/name_f]- it doesn’t fit the style of my other names at all, especially my boy names

[name_f]Honey[/name_f]- I don’t like the fact that it is a term of endearment

[name_u]Cricket[/name_u]- I just don’t think I’m brave enough to use it

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]- I find the double “r” hard to pronounce without getting tongue tied

2 Likes

Ooh this is fun!!

[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] - I love it too, but I know it holds a very important meaning for the [name_u]Irish[/name_u] community and wouldn’t want to appropriate it

[name_f]Lois[/name_f] - I adore it, but every time I bring it up my partner says it in a [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] voice :woman_facepalming:

[name_f]Arianell[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u], but my childhood best friend’s name was [name_u]Arya[/name_u] and it would be too close

[name_f]Amity[/name_f] - Afraid of people associating it with Amityville Horror

[name_f]Kinneret[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but it feels a little religiously connotated for a non-religious person to use

[name_f]Europa[/name_f] - [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] but would not work realistically

Katydid - Too much of an action / rare flower

[name_f]Urania[/name_f] - Sounds too much like urine or “you’re-on-ya”

[name_u]Hero[/name_u] - Would feel a little too grand or like a reverse self-fulfilling prophecy

[name_f]Anatolia[/name_f] - Too much of a place name, not enough of an established name

[name_f]Sireli[/name_f] - Pronunciation issues

2 Likes

any name of a greek/roman or any other religions god/goddess other than christianity - I would be disowned.

[name_f]Isis[/name_f] - Bad association

[name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] - i’m not a huge fan of the nickname [name_u]Cleo[/name_u]

[name_u]Penny[/name_u] - I had a dog named this

3 Likes

I absolutely adore Sunday!!!

I love [name_u]Remi[/name_u], but its far too close to [name_f]Demi[/name_f] (someone who hasnt been nice )

[name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] (much to linked to the celebrity. Such a gorgeous name)

[name_f]Posie[/name_f] (Feel like its far too childish)

[name_u]Cohen[/name_u] (has [name_u]Owen[/name_u] in it, not a nice person who i know , and it feels offensive to use )

1 Like

Mine would be:

Lucy/Lucia/Luella - love these but alas, too close to one of my cousin’s name

Adelaide/Adele/Ada/Adelia - too close to my brother’s name for a first

Cressida/Cadence/Kerrigan/Kaia/Tamar/Leandra/Cassidy/Nadine/Joni/Chloe/Sophie/Amelie - names I’ve used on characters that I would feel weird using

[name_u]Florence[/name_u] - love it, alas, so popular

3 Likes

@persephonescrown I’ve never heard of [name_f]Innogen[/name_f], that’s fun! I hate when names get shortened when you don’t want them to. I love nicknames, but I have a few I feel that way about! I also get what you mean mean with [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. I like a few that I wonder if people could get past other associations (i.e. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] :heart_eyes:) Thank you so much for your reply! :smiling_face:

1 Like

[name_u]Lightning[/name_u] – its literally so cool but actually calling someone that is weird unless they’re a video game character
[name_f]Seychelle[/name_f] – I love the sound but its too different from the names here
Norway – its such a beautiful place but people are gonna talk about the country
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] – pronunciation
Finland – another place name
[name_m]Cash[/name_m] – too close to my brothers name

1 Like

[name_f]Allegra[/name_f] - I mentioned it to a friend once and she said “like the allergy medicine”… which I think would probably be what everyone else would say too :sob:

[name_f]Blossom[/name_f] - so sweet but it doesn’t really fit with other names that I know I absolutely want to use

[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] - I love Shakespearean names but the character does not have a happy end, which I don’t think I’d be able to ignore (and [name_m]Othello[/name_m] is often read in gr.12 in our school board)

[name_f]Euphrasie[/name_f] - A very [name_u]French[/name_u] name from my family tree, but I’d worry about pronounciation

[name_f]Myfanwy[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] lovely little one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:! But alas no one in my small town would be able to say it nor would my family (who’d seriously raise their eyebrows)

[name_f]Saorfhlaith[/name_f] - It has such beautiful meaning (free princess)! But I can just hear how her teachers would butcher it. Perhaps if I ever follow through with moving to Ireland…

[name_f]Scheherazade[/name_f] - such a cool name from a captivating literary queen but again pronounciation. And as I have no Persian heritage I feel that this name is not mine to use.

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] - one of my most recent loves, since I finally watched Howl’s Moving [name_m]Castle[/name_m], but I sadly just know way too many Sophia’s to use it myself. Plus a high school friend wanted to name her daughter [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and even though we fell out of touch I still think of it as ‘her’ name

4 Likes

@CashTheUnicorn Thank you for your reply! I don’t think I’d be brave enough to use [name_f]Honey[/name_f], but it is very cute! And I agree that people would struggle with it being a term of endearment and a name.
Could you use [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] as a nickname? That might be fun!
I love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], and would use nn. Rori!! [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe I would scrap [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and just do [name_u]Rori[/name_u]. :face_holding_back_tears::heart_eyes: But we have close family friends whose husband/dad has this name. I’m not sure if they would think it was strange or get a good laugh out of it, and think it was sweet, or a little bit of both. I would only use it for a girl, so that may help!

Thank you for your reply! :butterfly::white_heart:

2 Likes

[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] → too guilty pleasure for my tastes
[name_u]Midnight[/name_u] → same as above
Bluey → too playful and colorful to stand substantially, I think
[name_f]Asha[/name_f] → feels like cultural appropriation
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] → too tragical-sounding

I’d most realistically use [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] out of this list!

2 Likes

@winterlyricalfox You make a very good point about [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] that makes me hesitant as well. I’ve heard of Irish-Americans using it, (i.e. one of the Kennedys did for her daughter.) So I think it’s doable. But I know many of those who live in [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] feel that Americans (however unintentionally) appreciate their names. I agree that this is especially the case with a name like [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f].

I’m sorry about [name_f]Lois[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] brother can do that voice too!

I like (and have never heard of!) [name_f]Arianell[/name_f]. I actually think it would be a beautiful way to honor your friend. :heart:

You have such well- thought out reasons for these, and I love it!

Thank you so much for your reply!

1 Like

@BethT2008 Thank you so much for your reply! I do agree that it would be strange to use a name for a human after you’ve used it for an animal. [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is so cute though!

Thank you again! :smiling_face::blossom:

[name_u]Senna[/name_u] - It’s a laxative that all nurses have heard of

2 Likes

@Babynamequeen029 Thank you, [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is amazing, and I think it’s the most usable/wearable name derived from a day of the week! It also has such spunk, which I love! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I love [name_f]Posie[/name_f] too! I agree that it may not age well though! [name_u]Remi[/name_u] is so sweet and fun, and I don’t blame you on [name_u]Cohen[/name_u] if you have a negative association.

Thank you again for your reply! :blossom::butterfly:

1 Like

[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]- we’ve already used a name ending in ‘day’ two would be too matchy…

[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]- my favorite nickname is [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and we’ve already got a ‘Holly’ (though debating on whether or not we could get away with Poppy)

[name_u]Winslow[/name_u], [name_f]Winslet[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u], Winsol, Winsley, Winnimere- we already have a [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Belen[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f]- already used by family

1 Like

@Greyblue I LOVE [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and seem to consistently forget about it! I think it’s very underrated. :smiling_face: [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] are amazing! And I also adore K@ia! It may be weird to use because it’s similar to a friend’s husband’s name.

Thank you for your reply! :white_heart::ocean:

1 Like

@lfm.001 [name_f]Seychelle[/name_f] is pretty! Is it similar to [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f]? That’s how I’m saying it in my head! And I am so happy to see how much love [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] is getting on this thread! Place names are so much fun! You could nickname Finland [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and Norway [name_u]Nori[/name_u]! Those are both gender-neutral enough that I think they could work.

Thank you so much for your reply! :blush:🩵

[name_f]Alexa[/name_f], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], [name_f]Alexia[/name_f], [name_u]Alexi[/name_u] - literally can’t use any of these bc of Amazon -

[name_u]Brinley[/name_u] - can’t use it bc it’s too close to my bully’s name, aka a common nickname that [name_u]Brinley[/name_u] gets shorten to.

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - beautiful and stunning name I can’t use bc my mom’s mom is just a horrible person and that’s her mn :cry:

[name_f]Renee[/name_f] - I feel like it’s way too outdated, and people would automatically assume [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is 50+ year old

2 Likes