Tereasa Irish(ish) spelling/pronunciation

[name_m]Hi[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter will be born soon and I decided the name quite a while ago, but I’m having the slightest reflection and wouldn’t mind hearing some thoughts.

I wanted to name my daughter [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], but I like having a slight [name_f]Irish[/name_f] look to it(1st child is named Connor) The [name_f]Irish[/name_f] version is Toiréasa(to-ray-suh) but that spelling is a bit TOO [name_f]Irish[/name_f] for an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaker. So I was going with Tereasa(we’d pronounce it te-ree-sa or te-ray-sa), and leaving out the é since the ‘accent/fada’ is not legally allowed on birth certificates.

But it seems that without the fada/accent, it would be pronounced ‘te-ra-sa’ in [name_f]Irish[/name_f], so now I’m wondering about Teraesa(te-ray-sa) which doesn’t require an é accent to get the ‘ray’ sound. Although I don’t know if Teraesa is actually a proper [name_f]Irish[/name_f] name at all.

So yeah, I’m overthinking it😅 but it’ s getting close to crunch time and I’m thinking it over.

Im not [name_f]Irish[/name_f], or famiiar with its grammar & spelling. But I would personally either go all in with the traditional [name_f]Irish[/name_f] spelling or go with the easiest spelling. I feel like going half way might just make it more confusing for everyone.

For what its worth I also see [name_f]Treasa[/name_f], Treise & Toirésa listed as irish spelling of [name_f]Theresa[/name_f].

3 Likes

Tough one! From what I can find, [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] is most commonly used in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], more so than Toiréasa, so I’d probably keep things simple and go with that.

8 Likes

Yeah, [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] was my pick for a while. I changed mostly because anytime I googled it, I would get Spanish or Italian women as search results so ot started to look more ‘Latin’ to me, like [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. But you might be right. It’s straight forward.

1 Like

To be honest, it feels a bit disingenuous to just use a version vaguely inspired by the look of the [name_f]Irish[/name_f] name that isn’t even really used in [name_f]Irish[/name_f]. I’d stick to [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] since they’re the easiest to spell and pronounce where you live!

2 Likes

I would recommend going with [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] as well. I think you could also get the teh-RAY-sah sound from [name_f]Teresa[/name_f], if you really wanted to, and since it sounds like [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] is most commonly used in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], it makes sense to go with that spelling. I also think the other spellings would be quite hard to live with… Teresa/Theresa is very familiar to most people, and I imagine it would be quite frustrating to have to spell out Tereasa or Teraesa all the time.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] work really well together; I would just stick to one of the two most familiar spellings.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Half my family is [name_f]Irish[/name_f] and I’ve lived in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] in the past. With regards to this name, I’ve only met [name_f]Irish[/name_f] woman called either [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]. It’s not an uncommon name in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. I’ve never encountered the spelling Teraesa and I wouldn’t recognise it as being [name_f]Irish[/name_f].

I personally would either just go for one of the [name_f]English[/name_f] spellings (Theresa or Teresa) or the standard [name_f]Irish[/name_f] language form (Toiréasa), rather than making up a spelling that isn’t familiar in either [name_f]English[/name_f] or [name_f]Irish[/name_f] linguistic traditions, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

I’m [name_f]Irish[/name_f] and have seen both [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] and [name_f]Therese[/name_f] being used; with [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] being the most common spelling. The [name_f]English[/name_f] spelling is more commonly used and not the [name_f]Irish[/name_f] spelling.

1 Like

She’s born!
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_m]Gannon[/name_m]!

3 Likes

Congratulations! [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] name!

1 Like